Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 3:22 am

I usually put for myself a deadline of 2 weeks for any woman I am chatting online on dating site- if she's still "thinking about it" or "let's wait and see" or "not ready" for meeting up after 2 weeks then I would rule her out.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 1:56 pm

So she could be manipulating me? Is it anything like this?
http://au.askmen.com/dating/curtsmith_1 ... dvice.html

Is that article truthful or is it a load of BS?

Do women start learning techniques of manipulation while they're still in their teens. techniques against which I have not had a chance to build up defenses against.
If things don't work out should I try something like this on the next girl that comes along?
http://www.manipulativepsychology.com/

Or maybe that's a load of BS as well. Normally I'd be skeptical of such things but I'm in the middle of a psychology book that includes psychological advertising techniques and it has only served to demonstrate the fallibility of the human brain. Does that guy know how to manipulate people or does he only know how to manipulate them out of $48?

Furthermore, some hussy tried to scam me tonight on Oasis and although I wasn't dumb enough to fall for it, she had me going for a while using her reverse psychology techniques. It was like she was trying to draw me in by pushing me away. Perhaps I could learn techniques of reverse psychology. Or do they only work on men? Or do they only work on me? I didn't give her any money anyway. I called her a scammer and she stopped responding. Does any of this make sense or have I just gone paranoid due to taking phentermine and sleeping about four hours a night.

I really want to meet her though because she's nice looking in some of her photos and not so great looking in some of her other photos and I want to see which ones are true.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

You are going down a potentially dangerous road here.

Some women are like that. Some men have various traits, too. The article is dangerous, because like all dangerous things, it contains a germ of truth, wrapped in generalisations.

People will hook on to one or two things, and swallow it whole. You will occasionally see one or two posts in this section which display certain characteristics of this.

It'll also put your walls right up, and you will change your behaviour - thus getting rid of the non-games players (of course, everyone is naturally playing a game, but that's another story).

Beware of starting to filter the world in a certain way. You will only see more evidence for a warped view. If you really insist on psychology, go to the horses' mouth, study the experts who have something to say and no motive in saying it.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 8:20 pm

octobertiger wrote:
Beware of starting to filter the world in a certain way. You will only see more evidence for a warped view.

That's exactly what my psychology book says in the chapter on confirmation bias. I wouldn't want to maintain a fake personality for the rest of my life anyway (in spite of what Mr Jonathan Griffiths may have to say).

octobertiger wrote:
If you really insist on psychology, go to the horses' mouth, study the experts who have something to say and no motive in saying it.

Good thing I started reading that book. I only bought it because it was $5 marked down from $20. Which experts? This book has nothing to say on coupling. Sites like askmen are probably a load of crap. They just create sensationalism to get more views. Sort of like Cracked but at least Cracked in honest about being a humour site. I was probably just being paranoid from staying up until 6:00AM while on amphetamine based diet pills. I slept for five hours and now I feel better.

My mood seems to alternate on a three way cycle between happiness, despair and paranoia (as people may have noticed from the inconsistent tone of my posts). I wanted to see a psychologist but to get it free on Medicare I have to be refereed by my GP and if he finds out I've been having mood swings he'll probably cut of my supply of phentermine. I really want to keep on taking it because my weight has gone from 135 KG to 120 KG and falling. Even my face looks better from that. This all started a few months before I started taking the pills after a series of unrelated events happened in rapid succession (within the hour) a few days prior to me joining Wrong Planet. The most disturbing thing is that I feel as though I've gone from being an INTP to an INTJ.

My basic health insurance doesn't cover psychologists and I need my money for several other projects I'm working on at the moment. I don't think it would be a good idea at all to talk about it with any of my psychologist relatives. There's no way I could open up to someone I actually know. I pretend to be normal in real life and socialize six days a week.

I should stop being paranoid that this girl is some sort of evil mastermind. I should just wait things out. She's recovering from some abusive relationships. Does that make her damaged goods and not worth my time? Or does it mean she'd benefit from a more stable relationship. She says she doesn't like talking about it and wants to be distracted from it. Does that mean I'm just a distraction? She says she wants a long term relationship although I think we can't tell if we're right for each other until we meet.

It's not like I have anything better to do. She already said she wanted to get to know me gradually. Unlike most of the other girls on Oasis she doesn't expect me to have a 100K job and she doesn't expect me to like camping. So far she has not made any attempts to make me like the things that she likes, though we already share some common interests. She even said she'd be open to giving Star Trek a try. Also she's one of very few people I've spoken too who knows I haven't been in a relationship and yet doesn't make fun of it.