How Should an Aspie Approach Finding Work?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 11:44 pm

Well first of all, I know my limits, which would preclude me from working at cash registers or fast places. Ok check. I suck at networking, even thouh everyone says it is essential, check. Pound the pavement. Eh well, I applie dto places I knew had opening soff the street, but not many places to pound the pavement to. Any flaw sin my thinking? I have applied to all my jobs online, looking every day. Nothing. I am thinking of packing up and moving if this does not change.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 12:48 am

Some more obvious stuff you probably heard before.

Networking urrrhh!! !. As hard as it is, as small as the your "circle" may be let everybody you do know that you are looking. :

Cover letter and Resume: Put in anything that made somebody money or saved them time (which is money). NO SPELLLLLING ERRRRORS. No emoticons, abbreviations and other shortcuts. This is not twitter or Facebook.

Internships, volunteering: Yes it is a scandal that it has come to this but these are the career version of the minor leagues doing the job which the companies used to pay you for (they actually had paid training programs back in the day) . But it is experience not only for the skills but showing you are responsible of getting someplace on time and being "professional". If you do not have these on your resume it is a negative.

Researching (yeah an aspie thing) to find the right people: Find the companies in your field, find the hiring manager. Through linkedin, ReferenceUSA etc. Look at media stories about the company. Your university or public library will direct you. It could work both ways but smaller companies are better for an aspie. Sometimes the hiring procedure is fairly informal and you just have to impress the owner.

Follow up emails or calls: “Did you receive my resume” “I enjoyed the interview and and would really like to work for the company.

You can find a job where aspie skills can come to good use. The process of getting one is minefield purposely designed to weed out people who don’t fit in. Wish I had better news but not to much choice but strenuous, tiring acting here. All the job counselors will tell you job hunting is a full time job in itself. Aspies have to take breaks here and there.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 21 Oct 2013, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 7:55 am

I have been applying and cherry picking jobs that would be aspie friendly from indeed .com . I am finding most jobs in my area are not aspie friendly. So I am thinking worse comes to worse, I could go to another city that has more jobs. I have told a few people I am looking for work. but the more I look and apply, the more I think the other city may have better aspie jobs, according to indeed searches I have done.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 8:22 am

zacb wrote:
I have been applying and cherry picking jobs that would be aspie friendly from indeed .com . I am finding most jobs in my area are not aspie friendly. So I am thinking worse comes to worse, I could go to another city that has more jobs. I have told a few people I am looking for work. but the more I look and apply, the more I think the other city may have better aspie jobs, according to indeed searches I have done.

Online job postings attract thousands upon thusands of applicants. They are tempting for and aspie but most jobs are not advertised.

Instead of cherry picking any job that seems aspie friendly how about targeting companies that have aspie friendly jobs related to your major? Instead of indeed.com how about a online jobs site specilizing in jobs related to your major?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 9:36 am

zacb wrote:

As I have heard Temple Grandin say, since aspies cannot sell themselves, they can only sell what they can do. We really do have to be twice as good.

As far as the rest goes, it took me five months to find my first librarian job. Persistence is the only reason I found one.

Good luck.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 9:55 am

Assess your skills and talents. What can you do? Those who focus solely on what they can not do usually remain unemployed.

Assess your education. What degrees, licenses and certificates have you earned? A high school diploma is a good place to start. So is a valid driver's license.

Assess your transportation needs. How far are you willing to travel? Are you willing and able to relocate?

Once you have all of this figured out (and written down), you will have a better idea of what kind of job to go for.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 3:39 pm

As other folk have said - work out what your strengths are (e.g. attention to detail? problem solving? work ethic?), and what jobs these would be an asset in. Then sell them, hard - think of examples to illustrate them, preferably how they relate to the role being applied for. Being damn good at something can get you considered despite poor social skills, if you can bring other qualities to the team. Good luck.

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!