Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 2:51 pm

I have to say simply... The human animal is not capable of truly rational thought (by your definition)... We are not objective... in any way... even those with a clinically defined need and ability for rationality... We cannot be objective...

Let's start with the fact that we live in the past.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTOODPf-iuc[/youtube]

Then there is the fact that we don't process EVERY piece of information when we are experiencing the world.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY[/youtube]

Now... We have to think about the mechanical, chemical and neurological aspects of visual processing... Light waves pass through the eyes... which are not standard issue... they are different sizes and the ratios of width, depth and focal length... Then they go through the retina... each retina is different, different patterns of blood cells, and light receptors... Then down the optic nerve and into the brain... which is formatted by experience, life, trauma, joy, genetics and chemistry...

Add to that the fact that we live in a world that is bathed in quantum packets (i.e. photons/light) that respond to the very act of observation... All of this is to say that there can be no objectivity... We all view the world through the warped lens of our own perceptions... Since your definition of rationality relies on the objectivity of the observer, and no such objectivity can exist... There is not one rational thinker on the planet

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 3:41 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Add to that the fact that we live in a world that is bathed in quantum packets (i.e. photons/light) that respond to the very act of observation... All of this is to say that there can be no objectivity... We all view the world through the warped lens of our own perceptions... Since your definition of rationality relies on the objectivity of the observer, and no such objectivity can exist... There is not one rational thinker on the planet

That is, except for the person who has reached your own (ahem) rational conclusion?

One way of getting out of this contradictory paradox is to allow for some objective rationality to be obtainable by reason. Even quantum mechanics operates according to rules which explain (to some degree) the phenomena. We can't just throw out reason entirely. I think that would be unreasonable.

ChameleonKeys
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2013, 4:22 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Here is an example of where these models fail: Giftcards. People certainly do this a lot, giving one another giftcards. Considering the limited ways a giftcard can be spent, it would seem irrational to give them a gift when they can just buy something for themselves with whatever money they get. Surely they should enjoy a gift of money more, as then they can choose exactly what they want to spend it on, not something at a specific store. However, here is the catch. If we were exchanging money we might as well not exchange anything at all as the net change would be more or less zero. But still appear to enjoy receiving giftcards. Why? Because they want what they can buy with it, and they wouldn't buy it unless they were given the giftcard. Those aspects seem to contradict each other, showing that people think irrationally. Rather they would spend money on something they don't want, but think they need, like paying off the mortgage. The gift would ultimately make them happier. This shows another important truth: rationality is not pragmatism, and pragmatism is not rational. The sentimental things are important facts to be weighed.

I would just like to clarify two points in your example above.

Are you working with the assumption that someone giving a gift card is acting irrationally by picking a store and therefore restricting their recipient to one type of gift?

If so, that is rarely the case. The idea behind gift cards is to give someone a gift that shows you genuinely know their taste and want to give them something they will appreciate but also to allow them some choice and minimize the room for error in choosing for them. For example, I like books, very much so, and anyone who knows me well is most certainly assured that I do. However, someone buying me a gift may not be confident in choosing a specific title as a present for me; worrying that I may already have it, might find the level inappropriate in relation to my understanding of the subject, might dislike the author or another similar consideration. Therefore buying me a giftcard for a bookstore is their way of demonstrating that they know me well enough to narrow down their gift to books, yet demonstrating the understanding that my taste might not be exactly the same as theirs and showing they wish to give me the final choice. If they were to give me money instead it would not be as likely to demonstrate their thought and understanding of me, so it would not be as meaningful as they intend. Giving a gift is not about giving someone whatever they want, it is primarily an exercise in communication. If someone were capable of choosing exactly the book I would personally choose and giving me that, I would be elated that they appeared to know me so very well or at least to have listened to me if I had once remarked that I wanted that particular book. Failing that, giving me a giftcard for a bookstore, particularly my favourite online bookstore would be a much more meaningful gift than cash, despite the flexibility in giving money. A gift of money can come across as lazy and lacking in personal communication to most people. Perhaps if someone gave you money you would prefer it as you do not seem to appreciate someone trying to give a thoughtful token and instead would consider it thoughtful to leave you to choose for yourself. Not everyone thinks the same way as you, that does not necessarily make them irrational. A giftcard is a compromise of convenience for the gift-giver who is lacking in confidence or time to work out which specific gift is best. The purpose of gift giving is, for most people, less about the specific material item and more about the act of acknowledging what someone enjoys or needs and demonstrating it through the gift of a suitable item.

Are you also assuming that the recipient would not buy the gift item themselves and that if they had the money instead of the giftcard, that they would spend it on something else - Perhaps something less indulgent and more practical?

If so then you appear to be making an assumption that the person giving the giftcard is unaware of the recipient's purchasing habits. Adding to my example above, I adore books and will purchase them regardless. Someone giving me a giftcard for a bookstore is saving me money by giving me the gift of the funds to purchase something I always want to buy (as my collection can never be complete) and making a fairly normal purchase into a more meaningful one as it is then connected to them. This is in line with what giftcards are primarily intended for.

Brannel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2013, 6:43 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
The reason I consider myself more empiricist than rationalist is because rationalism has one very serious flaw: Its conclusions depend upon the assumptions we make. An example:

All Indonesians are green.
Ganondox is Indonesian.
Therefore, Ganondox is green.

The problem with this impeccably constructed Aristotelian syllogism is its assumption that Indonesians are green. But rationally speaking it is flawless.

Our essence is a conflict between our selfish drives that enable us to survive by competing for limited resources, and our need to cooperate to form societies capable of completing complex projects. Rationality is a tool used by both of our natures.

There's a reason we call the logic behind self destructive behaviors "rationalizations", and that's because that while the conclusion has been logically deduced, the premises are usually wrong.

I trust my gut more these days when evaluating "rational" arguments, because if an argument feels intellectually dishonest or intentionally misleading, there's usually a shaky premise or a redefinition of terms. Sometimes the logical opposite of a word is intentionally confused with, or redefined as, its conceptual opposite ("not hot" vs "cold"). Sometimes a premise can be twisted into two negations that mean totally different things ("all indonesians are not green" vs. "no indonesians are green") and as long as both negations are observably true, people will use the negations interchangeably. Sometimes the person arguing will misrepresent how the terms are defined for the argument to mislead the opponent into making a faulty counterargument ("atheism is not a religion because it's the lack of belief" vs "atheism is not a religion and theism is not a religion").

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 8:20 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

That is, except for the person who has reached your own (ahem) rational conclusion?

One way of getting out of this contradictory paradox is to allow for some objective rationality to be obtainable by reason. Even quantum mechanics operates according to rules which explain (to some degree) the phenomena. We can't just throw out reason entirely. I think that would be unreasonable.

1) I am included in my statements... As an Aspie, I have severely irrational tendencies on certain issues...
2) Just citing information presented by the scientific community with experimental and REPEATABLE evidence...
3) Never said that people can't be reasonable... but reasonable and rational are not mutually exclusive.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 8:23 pm

littlebee wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
It's too complicated for me to take in.

Do we really need to know this? (In terms of understanding rational thinking theory, maybe we do:-)

Basically, no one is completely rational, which leads to rational people being irrational when modeling people's behavior.

Hi very sad purple pony guy:.

As you see it, What is the functional value of presenting this theory? Personally I think from a social science perspective it could help us understand how community may organize according to certain factors.

Yes, I meant the Uncanny Valley thread unless there is more than one Valley thread, which is unlikely. In fact it is not even rational for you to ask me this. Could you relate that material about people not liking asymmetrical faces and behavior (of autistics) here? I know this would be a little hard to do, but it would puts a face on social organization that is perceived by some as rational and by some others as irrational..

Functional value? I don't know, I'm not a particularly pragmatic person. I guess it's meant as an explanation to help people better understand each other and why they and other people do certain things, and why they may be bad at predicting behavior despite being good with other systems.

I was just clarifying. I don't even know what exact thread you are referring to because I didn't see any valley thread. Anyway, I fail to see any connection between the two ideas other than the fact the uncanny valley is an emotional response.

FMX wrote:
Is this your own theory? Either way - excellent post! I've always hated gift cards - they are, in a way, the worst possible gift, but I think you have a valid point about them giving the recipient a "licence" to spend the money on something frivolous in addition to money itself.

I don't agree with your final conclusion, however:

Ganondox wrote:
Because people think irrationally, they are often inclined to model people as being like them. This makes "rational people" tend to favor Rationalistic Models. This itself is irrational, as it's not accurate as people don't think rationally. Ultimately this makes it that people who think less rationally actually have a more accurate model of human behavior, making them paradoxically better at solving certain problems even though rational thinking is supposed to always be the best solutions as it's supposed to be perfect. Irrational people are now more rational with people than rational people are.

It's a major logical leap to say that more rational people have a less accurate model of human behaviour overall. I'm not at all convinced of that.

I'm sure you'd agree that you're among the "more rational" people and yet you came up with this model, showing a high level of insight into human thinking and irrational behaviour. Don't you think that your model of human behaviour is more accurate than that of "irrational" people? Or do you think it is, but at the same time think that you must be wrong in thinking so, since you think you're rational? :)

I enjoyed the logic puzzle, too, though it took me a bit longer to solve it than I think it should have. Anyway, such puzzles usually specify that everyone involved thinks rationally and knows that everyone else does, too.

Okay, I didn't explain myself very well, but in the final part the model isn't a technical model that you are referencing like this one, it's a less concrete one that's subconsciously in your head while making a decision. When making a quick decision you are going to default to your emotional model, not your elaborate, refined one. Essentially what Janissy said. Remember, not even "rational" people are truly rational, only that they have the potential to be rational at times. And yes, it's my own theory, I consider myself fairly introspective and think over stuff a lot.

Feralucce wrote:
I have to say simply... The human animal is not capable of truly rational thought (by your definition)... We are not objective... in any way... even those with a clinically defined need and ability for rationality... We cannot be objective...

Let's start with the fact that we live in the past.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTOODPf-iuc[/youtube]

Then there is the fact that we don't process EVERY piece of information when we are experiencing the world.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY[/youtube]

Now... We have to think about the mechanical, chemical and neurological aspects of visual processing... Light waves pass through the eyes... which are not standard issue... they are different sizes and the ratios of width, depth and focal length... Then they go through the retina... each retina is different, different patterns of blood cells, and light receptors... Then down the optic nerve and into the brain... which is formatted by experience, life, trauma, joy, genetics and chemistry...

Rational thinking is possible in certain circumstances, generally people think rationally while solving math problems, but it's incomplete, the acquiring of sensory information is not rational, it's empirical. Philosophically I completely agree the sensation and perception are subjective, and thus we can never be truly certain of things. Ultimately the choice in trusting our senses is not rational, but there isn't really any other options. It's impossible to make truly rational decisions as you can't rationally get base information from which to make conclusions.

ChameleonKeys wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Here is an example of where these models fail: Giftcards. People certainly do this a lot, giving one another giftcards. Considering the limited ways a giftcard can be spent, it would seem irrational to give them a gift when they can just buy something for themselves with whatever money they get. Surely they should enjoy a gift of money more, as then they can choose exactly what they want to spend it on, not something at a specific store. However, here is the catch. If we were exchanging money we might as well not exchange anything at all as the net change would be more or less zero. But still appear to enjoy receiving giftcards. Why? Because they want what they can buy with it, and they wouldn't buy it unless they were given the giftcard. Those aspects seem to contradict each other, showing that people think irrationally. Rather they would spend money on something they don't want, but think they need, like paying off the mortgage. The gift would ultimately make them happier. This shows another important truth: rationality is not pragmatism, and pragmatism is not rational. The sentimental things are important facts to be weighed.

I would just like to clarify two points in your example above.

Are you working with the assumption that someone giving a gift card is acting irrationally by picking a store and therefore restricting their recipient to one type of gift?

If so, that is rarely the case. The idea behind gift cards is to give someone a gift that shows you genuinely know their taste and want to give them something they will appreciate but also to allow them some choice and minimize the room for error in choosing for them. For example, I like books, very much so, and anyone who knows me well is most certainly assured that I do. However, someone buying me a gift may not be confident in choosing a specific title as a present for me; worrying that I may already have it, might find the level inappropriate in relation to my understanding of the subject, might dislike the author or another similar consideration. Therefore buying me a giftcard for a bookstore is their way of demonstrating that they know me well enough to narrow down their gift to books, yet demonstrating the understanding that my taste might not be exactly the same as theirs and showing they wish to give me the final choice. If they were to give me money instead it would not be as likely to demonstrate their thought and understanding of me, so it would not be as meaningful as they intend. Giving a gift is not about giving someone whatever they want, it is primarily an exercise in communication. If someone were capable of choosing exactly the book I would personally choose and giving me that, I would be elated that they appeared to know me so very well or at least to have listened to me if I had once remarked that I wanted that particular book. Failing that, giving me a giftcard for a bookstore, particularly my favourite online bookstore would be a much more meaningful gift than cash, despite the flexibility in giving money. A gift of money can come across as lazy and lacking in personal communication to most people. Perhaps if someone gave you money you would prefer it as you do not seem to appreciate someone trying to give a thoughtful token and instead would consider it thoughtful to leave you to choose for yourself. Not everyone thinks the same way as you, that does not necessarily make them irrational. A giftcard is a compromise of convenience for the gift-giver who is lacking in confidence or time to work out which specific gift is best. The purpose of gift giving is, for most people, less about the specific material item and more about the act of acknowledging what someone enjoys or needs and demonstrating it through the gift of a suitable item.

Are you also assuming that the recipient would not buy the gift item themselves and that if they had the money instead of the giftcard, that they would spend it on something else - Perhaps something less indulgent and more practical?

If so then you appear to be making an assumption that the person giving the giftcard is unaware of the recipient's purchasing habits. Adding to my example above, I adore books and will purchase them regardless. Someone giving me a giftcard for a bookstore is saving me money by giving me the gift of the funds to purchase something I always want to buy (as my collection can never be complete) and making a fairly normal purchase into a more meaningful one as it is then connected to them. This is in line with what giftcards are primarily intended for.

I'm not saying getting a giftcard is an irrational decision, just that on the surface it appears irrational, but it's a rational decision because people are irrational. Now, what you are saying about the purpose of gift giving is correct. If I was giving someone a gift I probably wouldn't give them cash unless I knew that they would prefer to make their own choice. When I was writing this I was half asleep and I forgot I was going to be talking about giftcards specifically and started talking about gifts, and then I realized my mistake and went back to giftcards as I intended. Yes, giftcards are essentially halfway between an actual gift and a gift of hard cash, mixing the advantages of the different gifts, but I figured the gift cards are different enough from final gifts that the gift aspect could be considered negligible enough for the rest of my reasoning to apply. "Are you also assuming that the recipient would not buy the gift item themselves and that if they had the money instead of the giftcard, that they would spend it on something else - Perhaps something less indulgent and more practical?

If so then you appear to be making an assumption that the person giving the giftcard is unaware of the recipient's purchasing habits. " Well, uh, it depends on their purchasing habits. The very fact it was framed as a gift may change their spending behavior, and for many people's spending behavior they would indulge themselves on a gift card but not otherwise. Okay, I admit based this mainly on a response to asking what's the point of giftcards long ago, not actually thinking it over enough myself and I neglected some key information even though I did say it was important. My example wasn't perfect, it's a less than rational conclusion that people rationally give giftcards because people are irrational (too many rationals), but I think the general idea works and shows the point. If you want a possibly better example, look at procrastination and addiction.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 1:14 pm

Ganondox wrote:
FMX wrote:
I don't agree with your final conclusion, however:

Ganondox wrote:
Because people think irrationally, they are often inclined to model people as being like them. This makes "rational people" tend to favor Rationalistic Models. This itself is irrational, as it's not accurate as people don't think rationally. Ultimately this makes it that people who think less rationally actually have a more accurate model of human behavior, making them paradoxically better at solving certain problems even though rational thinking is supposed to always be the best solutions as it's supposed to be perfect. Irrational people are now more rational with people than rational people are.

It's a major logical leap to say that more rational people have a less accurate model of human behaviour overall. I'm not at all convinced of that.

I'm sure you'd agree that you're among the "more rational" people and yet you came up with this model, showing a high level of insight into human thinking and irrational behaviour. Don't you think that your model of human behaviour is more accurate than that of "irrational" people? Or do you think it is, but at the same time think that you must be wrong in thinking so, since you think you're rational? :)

Okay, I didn't explain myself very well, but in the final part the model isn't a technical model that you are referencing like this one, it's a less concrete one that's subconsciously in your head while making a decision. When making a quick decision you are going to default to your emotional model, not your elaborate, refined one. Essentially what Janissy said. Remember, not even "rational" people are truly rational, only that they have the potential to be rational at times.

I agree about quick-decision making. Irrational (or more accurately: intuitive) people are certainly better at that. But it's hard to determine who is better at it "overall", which is why I say I'm not convinced. That's not to say I'm convinced of the opposite, either (ie. that rational people are better at it), but I'm leaning that way. One reason for this is: I think that the intuitive approach is inherently limited. It works for common real-life situations, but some situations are too complex to ever be correctly understood intuitively. With rational analysis there is no such inherent limit - it only depends on how rational the individual is and how much information they have. There is nothing stopping a rational person from getting better and better at modelling people's behaviour, which includes doing it faster.

Ganondox wrote:
And yes, it's my own theory, I consider myself fairly introspective and think over stuff a lot.

Oh, I'm sure you do! :) Me too.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 1:32 pm

FMX wrote:
I agree about quick-decision making. Irrational (or more accurately: intuitive) people are certainly better at that. But it's hard to determine who is better at it "overall", which is why I say I'm not convinced. That's not to say I'm convinced of the opposite, either (ie. that rational people are better at it), but I'm leaning that way. One reason for this is: I think that the intuitive approach is inherently limited. It works for common real-life situations, but some situations are too complex to ever be correctly understood intuitively. With rational analysis there is no such inherent limit - it only depends on how rational the individual is and how much information they have. There is nothing stopping a rational person from getting better and better at modelling people's behaviour, which includes doing it faster.

[.

It's true that with time and practice, the rational person can get better and better at making accurate models of irrational behaviour. The field of marketing pretty much depends on that. Through decades of research and analysis, the marketing field has succesfully made rational models of irrational spending behaviour. However, getting to that point requires a commitment to studying it that many rational people are unwilling to make. Or worse yet, think that such commitment to studying it isn't necessary and mere rationality itself will yield a correct model.