Voting for oneself
It's okay 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
It's wrong 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11

DeviousDani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2013, 8:12 am

Does anyone think it's wrong to vote for yourself?
Or do you think it's okay?

Wafflemarine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Oct 2013, 9:45 am

If I feel I am the person for the job or whatever it is I would vote for myself. You would not be trying for whatever it is if you felt like someone else should have the votes.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 10:11 am

Look at it this way: Would you rather lose an election by just one vote or win an election by just one vote?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 10:21 am

DeviousDani wrote:
Does anyone think it's wrong to vote for yourself?
Or do you think it's okay?

Depends on whether you want the job. If you have put yourself forward for something then it's insane not to vote for yourself if the rules permit that. If the rules don't permit that one votes for oneself, then obviously that's that. Why would it be wrong? I know that when I was a child there used to be endless discussions about this and it was all tied into the fact that as children, we didn't really all know how things worked in the grown up world so we kept trying to re-negotiate eachother out of the perceived power held. Which is, ironically, exactly how things work in the grown up world except you are never allowed to call a spade a spade ;)

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 6:04 pm

If you don't vote for yourself, why should anyone?

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 5:31 am

Who decides what's right or wrong for you? Decide for yourself. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. Why wouldn't you vote for yourself. It's not being conceited. It's having confidence in yourself. Don't ever feel ashamed about having confidence in yourself.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

DeviousDani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2013, 9:45 am

I completely agree with you guys :)
I voted for myself and it was supposed to be anonymous but it wasn't, and I heard someone call me pretentious.

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Oct 2013, 5:57 pm

I think the only time it could be seen as wrong is if you're calling attention to yourself doing it. If it's for political office, it's fine; it could even be a protest vote against the people running. But, like a most valuable player award, in a team sport, I'd vote for a teammate or someone else becasue that's where humiility is really important, in a team game.

Of course, i don't know - I guess the context is that it's an election of some kind, but as a baseball fan the other came to my mind just as easily. And there are coaches that vote in the Coaches Poll for college football. (But if you're saying "My team is #1 in a poll that's still supporting the whole team.)