Recommendations for Age Of Empires similar games

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 12:53 am

Hey all,

Recently been getting back into playing games, I particularly loved playing multiplayer Warcraft 2, and Age of Empires 1/2 when I was younger. For years I've been wanting to play again but I never had the set up or people to play with IRL (I guess I never really considered going online with it, I kind of prefer playing with people I know) unfortunately I have a mac and it's apparently too new to be compatible with those. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any newer similar games that can be played multiplayer using LAN connection on mac computers? Or perhaps online also (I could always give it a shot, doesn't hurt to try new things)?

Also, I'm not all that computer-savvy when it comes to purchasing/setting these things up so please bear with me. I like games where you can also design maps, and where the imagery is not too fluorescent or messy (realistic looking environments if that makes sense with pleasant colour contrast, not with stuff going on all over the screen cause I tend to find that confusing and annoying).

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2013, 1:04 am

Ever play Rise of Nations. It is a fairly old game, but a quite similar game to Age of Empires in that you get a nation on the map, and you have to guide them through ages (but all the way from the stone age to modern times). Also might want to look at Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War (the original not the far worse sequel), very similar to Warcraft with a lot of fun strategy concepts and very varied races to play as.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 1:13 am

There are actually Warhammer computer games? I thought they only came out as figurines to paint and play with using dice, ruler, and paper mache terrain hahaha.

I haven't played Rise of Nations. I played a bunch of playstation games (single and multiplayer) when I was younger, and for computer mainly just played GTA2, Warcraft 2, and Age of Empires 1 and 2 in multiplayer LAN games, but played them for several years if that makes sense.

The computer I've got is a Mac Mountain Lion, version 10.8.5. Would Rise of Nations work on that? Also, somebody recommended Civilization - is that any good?

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2013, 1:16 am

Yea a couple in that series. Warhammer 40K turned that universe into a RTS, meanwhile if you like the figurines TBS you might like Blood Bowl, which basically just took the tabletop game and turned it into a PC game (same rules and races and everything). I would recommend both quite a lot. Yes, it should work on it... go to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ if you want to make sure (I am pretty sure they can test Macs as well). Yes Civilization is good, though try to get at least Civ III (and I think the newer ones are even better).

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 1:26 am

jinto1986 wrote:
Yea a couple in that series. Warhammer 40K turned that universe into a RTS, meanwhile if you like the figurines TBS you might like Blood Bowl, which basically just took the tabletop game and turned it into a PC game (same rules and races and everything). I would recommend both quite a lot. Yes, it should work on it... go to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ if you want to make sure (I am pretty sure they can test Macs as well). Yes Civilization is good, though try to get at least Civ III (and I think the newer ones are even better).

Thanks heaps, thanks for the website too - that should be helpful in terms of checking compatibility. The figurines were more of my brother's thing although I enjoyed playing too from time to time. If it were computerized though I may get into it so I'll check that out. While I'm at it, my playstation broke years ago, I have an xbox but don't really like it (I prefer playstation games to the xbox ones, not a fan of first person shooter with the exception of GTA games which aren't really first person shooter). I was thinking of getting a playstation 1, 2, or 3 second hand plus some games. I don't know if you can help me with this but if you do happen to be somebody who's owned playstations which do you think is better in terms of the available games (I like action, action adventure, RPGS, role playing kind of games).

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2013, 1:29 am

Action- both PS3 and 360
Action-adventure- Slight nod to 360 due to Elder Scrolls and the like running far better on it
RPGs- PS3 by far anymore, especially in terms of JRPGs

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 1:32 am

I'm assuming the PS3 runs the final fantasy series then?

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2013, 1:45 am

Both do, but there are games like the Tales series and Ni No Kuni that only the PS3 gets.

P.S. Ni No Kuni is far better than the past few Final Fantasy games.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 5:51 am

Yeah, I noticed they went downhill after final fantasy 10. Final fantasy 8 was my favourite, although I watched it played a lot more than actually getting to play it myself (it was owned by family friends of ours).