Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm

Adamantium wrote:

Quote:
octobertiger wrote:
It's surprisingly easy to hit the 50K if you give yourself a chance to get addicted to it.
Very encouraging to hear! As the father of twins with a full time day job, I doubt I will have the opportunity. But I intend to make up for low productivity weekdays with weekend marathons. We'll see.

I am hugely impressed that you have discovered the relative ease of it for yourself!

Oh, please don't think I'm saying it's a walk in the park. No way! First time I crossed the 50K, it was a brilliant feeling for me. I didn't know I could get the job done, I really doubted myself and ten days in was so difficult to get past. Then, it started pouring. Once that happens, and you get addicted - YEAH BABY!! ! Wonderful feeling.

IF I CAN DO IT, ANYBODY CAN! :D

Quote:
octobertiger wrote:
I've decided I'm not going to do it this year. I'm going to write and record 12 songs from scratch, instead. No pre-planning and no past material involved. The thought scares me a little - which is why it's worth doing!

Sounds fantastic and makes me think of Jonathan Coulton and the "thing a week" songs--among which I count some of my favorite songs ("Chiron Beta Prime," "Creepy Doll".)
Please share with us, if you can! I can see the creativity ready to burst out of you in bright and shiny chords, right through the pixels on this screen! Let the notes flow free, man!

Yeah? Okay :D Chords, samples, stacks of effects and atonal twiddly solos. And a recorder. Anything that I can grab. It could be crap - but it'll be Magical Crap!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:09 pm

octobertiger wrote:
YEAH BABY!! ! Wonderful feeling.

I will hold on to this hope. :D

Quote:
IF I CAN DO IT, ANYBODY CAN! :D

All right! Let's do it!!

Quote:
It could be crap - but it'll be Magical Crap!

I hear that this is the very best kind of crap! Much better than even the most exclusively priced mundane crap!

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I did it last year, so this year is no different. :D

Awesome! DId you finish that novel? Can we read it somewhere?
I have seen some of your amazing art in another thread, so I know you are on good terms with the muses. :D

Have fun this year!

I have been somewhat focused on autism and wrong planet for the last six months and will be spending much less time here because of Nanorwrimo. I will keep a word count going in this thread and I hope all of you who are participating can join me in that.

Knowing about my ASD makes me want to complete this novel and others more urgently than I ever did before. Maybe I'm feeling like I have something to prove. I have to say: reading your replies is massively encouraging. :D

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:14 pm

^ are you going to register for NaNoWriMo or just do it unofficially?

I'm still on the fence about this, but third time may indeed prove lucky..we shall see. I think I would just get distracted if I had to post word counts and participate in support forums..bleh

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:54 pm

Registered and did the "create novel" thing with a title and synopsis.

I doubt I will have much time for forums. But I will do the word count thing because I know I need a fire under my ass if I am to really get it done.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2013, 5:26 am

Really wish I could do it this year but I've got exams on in November :(
I tried it two years ago but got to about 10,000 words and gave up.

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2013, 6:02 am

Adamantium wrote:

I'm going to give it a shot, but I'm not all that optimistic. I tried a few years ago and was so disgusted with the dreck I produced I bailed after a week or so. :?

I guess I'll have to re-register since I haven't the foggiest idea what my account name was, never mind the password.

Quote:
I doubt I will have much time for forums. But I will do the word count thing because I know I need a fire under my ass if I am to really get it done.

It would be kind of fun to have a support thread on WP for NaNoWriMo, assuming something like that would be considered appropriate by TPTB.

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 3:45 pm

WorldsEdge wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

I'm going to give it a shot, but I'm not all that optimistic. I tried a few years ago and was so disgusted with the dreck I produced I bailed after a week or so. :?

I guess I'll have to re-register since I haven't the foggiest idea what my account name was, never mind the password.

Quote:

It would be kind of fun to have a support thread on WP for NaNoWriMo, assuming something like that would be considered appropriate by TPTB.

If you are using the same email you used then, you can do a "forgot password" thing and they will mail you a reset link.

I think the idea is that you have a Jungian party in your mind tonight. Invite your inner Critic as the guest of honor. Have your inner troop of lithe and comely young things sing and dance for him and then when he is very drunk, have your Enforcer pop a black velvet bag over his head and upper arms and bundle him off to a padded cell for the duration of November. Also, when the going gets tough, you can forget to bolt the door on your Shadow's cell after the end of his yard exercises and just look the other way while he does his thing for a while.

Anyway, good luck!

I am going to post a daily word count in this thread, unless someone says it's inappropriate.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 7:04 pm

YEAH!! !

Get started, people.

Whose written the first word? Who has hit the mighty word count of ten words?

I'll wake up later on, and start musicing. Hopefully we can stay on this thread.

You Can Do It - yeahhhhhhhhhh! :flower: :farao: :cat: :cherry: :cheers: :cheers: :batman: :dwarf: :elephant: :coffee: :coffee: :hail: :hail: :hail: :afro: :afro: :geek: :star:

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 8:08 pm

I won't start writing until Sunday. I have Youmacon tomorrow and Saturday. Maybe Saturday night, but I'll be exhausted.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Zephyo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Oct 2013, 9:47 pm

Going to be writing in a notebook for this. Don't have a reliable way of keeping my writing mine otherwise. If NSA creeps can stalk people through the system, they can sure as heck steal my musings through it. It's a bit paranoid of me, but there isn't a lot of trust to go around these days.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 6:20 am

Zephyo wrote:
Going to be writing in a notebook for this. Don't have a reliable way of keeping my writing mine otherwise. If NSA creeps can stalk people through the system, they can sure as heck steal my musings through it. It's a bit paranoid of me, but there isn't a lot of trust to go around these days.

I would love it if NSA guys read my stuff! :D
More readers > fewer readers!

167 words.

It's only 7 am and my goal today is 1k, so 833 to go!

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2013, 7:32 am

Adamantium wrote:
I would love it if NSA guys read my stuff! :D
More readers > fewer readers!

Funniest thing I've read today. And I can't disagree. Still... :lmao:

Quote:
167 words.

It's only 7 am and my goal today is 1k, so 833 to go!

What are you using to count your words? Just wondering since I've seen that the method NaNoWriMo uses to count words can be quite a bit different from how MS Word, LibreOffice, etc., do it.

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 8:34 am

Claps I--x---xxII--x---xxII--x---xxII--x---xxI

Blinded by the light, knowing nothing of days
I've got a Jesus handbag, a Jesus handbag
Drowning on the shore, giving nothing away

Ladies and gentleman, we have a chorus! WOOOO! :D

(looking B-D-E and B-A-G/B-A-E for prechorus)

Painful education, what can I say
I turn to escape but I can’t get away
In a situation bleeding out of control
I’m stumbling into cracks, I’m feeling for the holes
I have only one salvation
There’s only one shot at redemption…

Blinded by the light, knowing nothing of days
Drowning on the shore, giving nothing away

Jesus handbag, what’s inside
All kinds of holy things to restore my pride
A nuclear tampon, fluffy pink handcuffs
And a mask so real I want to throw up

Blinded by the light, knowing nothing of days...

Middle, repeat, then

I came to regret and forget all I learned
Dancing on volcanoes just to get burned
I poisoned every single thing that I observed
I was the worm...the worm that got turned!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 9:31 am

WorldsEdge wrote:
What are you using to count your words? Just wondering since I've seen that the method NaNoWriMo uses to count words can be quite a bit different from how MS Word, LibreOffice, etc., do it.

I am using my text editors word count feature. I believe it looks through strings for space characters and increments a count.

There is a widget on the Nanowrimo page that you paste text into and it updates your logged word count. I just did this and found I was being lysdexic this morning. My actual word count is 176!

Ony 824 words to go today!!

I see words, lyrics and chords flowing from us today! Nice start!

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 2:29 pm

Day #1's goal achieved! I hope you're all off to a great start, and can keep it up throughout the month. :)

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 3:18 pm

Go Coffee, Go Coffee, Go Coffee... :D