Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,147
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

26 Oct 2013, 4:37 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
I don't understand your point. Most of America's adventures abroad are unilateralist and happening in spite of UN opinion. Particularly the 2003 invasion of Iraq. As far as I recall there was no UN sanction for that incursion in any shape or form. The UN's weapons inspectors found no evidence of WMD's and could give no reason for an invasion. Your argument is invalid.
My main argument is that the United States government should not be allying with people who control nations determined to destroy us. We need to get our national sovereignty back, and fight to defend it.


I don't think mutual UN membership = alliance. The UN is not an ideologically or religiously partisan organisation, nor do I think it was ever meant to be. Thats the role of NATO.

The whole purpose of the UN was to provide a diplomatic recourse between nations with contentious issues rather than allowing problems to manifest like the ones that resulted in the disasters that were World Wars 1 and 2.

USA quitting NATO would be diplomatically embarrassing for it. It would smack of arrogance to other countries, and with the departure of the world's largest economy would undermine the very purpose of the facility which has up till now, despite the criticism it gets, done a fairly good job at preventing a sequel to WW2.


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,273
Location: Reading, England

27 Oct 2013, 8:27 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Most of the other members in the United Nations are our sworn enemies

This is either hyperbole or a joke, right?

Most countries consider the US their strongest ally. Even places like Saudi Arabia value the US highly because of the trade they provide. China talked North Korea out of its crazy rhetoric because they didn't want their relationship with the US to be soured. Iran just elected a leader specifically to strengthen relations with the US so economic sanctions would be lifted.



thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,147
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

27 Oct 2013, 9:29 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Most of the other members in the United Nations are our sworn enemies

This is either hyperbole or a joke, right?

Most countries consider the US their strongest ally. Even places like Saudi Arabia value the US highly because of the trade they provide. China talked North Korea out of its crazy rhetoric because they didn't want their relationship with the US to be soured. Iran just elected a leader specifically to strengthen relations with the US so economic sanctions would be lifted.


^

this as well.


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile