Let people understand something about trans people

Page 7 of 10 [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 9:05 pm

Kurgan wrote:

Just because you deliberately ignore economists, psychologists, surgeons and doctors who disagree with you, does not mean that everyone supports you. Public funding of SRS is not something the people widely agree to here--and many reacted negatively to it, given that the medical institutions of Norway are on a very tight budget.

Yes. A lot of people out of transphobia and ignorance I would expect to be opposed. If, however, you look at the people who have look at the evidence in detail, you will tend to find much more support. You would also tend to find court rulings supporting it.

Quote:
They had their lives burdened because the ban on gay marriage promoted the idea that homosexual relationships are any different from heterosexual relationships--and that homosexuality was "wrong" and heterosexuality was "right". Transgendered people have exactly the same healthcare benefits as cisgendered people have, so your analogy still fails.

No. They don't. Having the same level of healthcare benefits means their needs are all being met. Different needs mean different ways of meeting them, but it should not be judged based on a one-size-fits-all program; the program must meet each individual's needs. Having the same level of healthcare benefits is not occurring for people with gender dysphoria who need surgery. Their medical needs are being neglected.

Alas, we talk past each other. You think it's just cosmetic and unnecessary and that people with gender dysphoria can live just fine without it. The evidence is against you, but I don't think you care. You remind me of the definition of a crank, which is a man who cannot be turned.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 9:07 pm

Kurgan wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
Someone with cancer will die without treatment, someone with GID won't. Nobody in this thread has said that SRS should be banned altogether; funding it without funding more important medical issues first would just be unfair to someone with more severe problems.

Tell me. Why are you so worried about eliminating funding for SRS when we should be helping the children dying in Darfur, a much more severe problem? It would just be so unfair to the children in Darfur if you had to elbow priority away from them and toward eliminating funding for SRS.

Because of political corruption, it would not be possible to help all the children of Darfur without military intervention, which is clearly the larger of two evils. The reason why so many people who apply for SRS today in Norway are turned down (90-95%), is partly because the budget.

You totally missed the logical fallacy that I was deliberately imitating, the logical fallacy that you used first. It went straight over your head.

Try reading this:

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta ... s-why.html

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 9:24 pm

beneficii wrote:
You totally missed the logical fallacy that I was deliberately imitating, the logical fallacy that you used first. It went straight over your head.

I saw the false analogy, though.

Quote:

Actually, the staw men she attacks have some valid points. If the religious people she's preaches her atheism to haven't tried to convert her, they're not obliged to justify their views to her.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 9:37 pm

Kurgan wrote:

The fallacy is this: Problem A must be held off until problem B is solved, because problem B is more severe.

Did I really need to spell that out for you?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 9:39 pm

beneficii wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

The fallacy is this: Problem A must be held off until problem B is solved, because problem B is more severe.

Problem A should be held of if it prevents the solution of problem B, because problem B is more severe.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 9:49 pm

Kurgan wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

Problem A should be held of if it prevents the solution of problem B, because problem B is more severe.

Coverage for SRS does not prevent coverage for other procedures. That is false.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 9:55 pm

beneficii wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

Coverage for SRS does not prevent coverage for other procedures.

Given that healthcare and many other public institutions are under a tight budget, it does.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 9:57 pm

Kurgan wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

Coverage for SRS does not prevent coverage for other procedures.

Given that healthcare and many other public institutions are under a tight budget, it does.

Oh, I see. The government in question doesn't ensure it's well-funded enough to meet the needs of the people it is to serve and decides it wants to play people with various needs against each other, in a divide-and-conquer-sorta-way.

Gotcha.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 4:06 am

Check this out, about gender dysphoria:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/zinniajones ... dysphoria/

People aren't even aware gender dysphoria can cause that. And I'm looking at some of that. Darn, that stuff looks like it could easily drive someone to suicide without 'em even being aware it was cuz of the gender dysphoria.

Like look at this:

Quote:
5. Knowing you’re somehow different from everyone else, and wishing you could be normal like them. I often wondered how other kids could just go about their lives, talking and laughing and being so calm and happy, like nothing was wrong. I don’t know what I really expected of them – I didn’t have the vaguest idea of what was “wrong”, either. I didn’t know why I felt so anxious all the time, I just did. I had no idea why the rest of the world didn’t feel the same way, and I wanted to know what that was like.
It felt like my mind was constantly talking to itself without any interruption, and it was overanalyzing everything around me. Some second, parallel existence seemed to be running alongside my direct experience of consciousness: an inner monologue of sorts, but a very toxic one. I couldn’t stop thinking about everything – it was as though this loud voice in my head kept me from simply existing in the moment.
There was no way to shut off that voice and just be, like everyone else. I wanted those two sides to line up and merge so I could feel natural and at ease too. But it wouldn’t go away, no matter how hard I tried. There always seemed to be some invisible skin separating me from the rest of reality – I could move around in the real world, interact with it, but never actually touch it or feel it.

That's some messed up stuff for someone to go through.

I can identify with a lot of it.

Obviously, gender dysphoria ends up being a whole lot more than just simple unhappiness over gender.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 1:52 am

Kurgan,

Please accept my apologies for the anger I have shown in this thread. You see, I was entitled in attitude. I believed that I was being unjustly deprived of something that belonged to me, namely, sex reassignment surgery. I was wrong to believe it. You are correct. No one is entitled to that and it is a waste of taxpayer money to provide it.

The doctors that support are wrong, just like the doctors that support the soft bipolar spectrum. It's one of those crazy fads that can overtake medicine, especially psychiatry, sometimes.

Accepting that I am not entitled to it makes me feel a lot more peaceful.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 3:22 am

adifferentname wrote:

On what do you base this theory? Would individual variation support more use of reassignment surgery or less? Why do you think that is it appropriate to respond with sarcasm to someone who genuinely wants to understand the problem rather than apply bias?

By responding on behalf of apple, I must assume that you also support snark as an appropriate means of communication in lieu of actually making a legitimate point. [/interest in thread]

My apologies. I had an attitude of entitlement, which led to anger. You just need to be a big person and accept you ain't getting surgery. I wasn't being a very big person in this thread as of late. I've since accepted that I am in no way entitled to it, and neither is anybody else.

And yes, it needs more study. The doctors pushing are just like the doctors pushing the soft bipolar spectrum.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 2:02 pm

Kurgan wrote:

From my perspective, your approach on health policy is quite wrong.

The decision about whether or not a given course of therapy is medically necessary belongs in two pairs of hands alone: the patient, and the physician. Period. No stranger to that relationship should have any input into that question.

Once a course of treatment has been decided as medically necessary, it then becomes a reasonable question about how to create a system of equitable access to resources (be they real estate, specialized professionals, equipment or pharmaceuticals). Physicians should work collegially to ensure that medical priorities are respected, to be sure. But the existence of priorities does not in any way diminish the medical necessity of therapies that present lower priorities.

The question of budgets is, of course, a vexing one. But we must always understand that public policy decision cannot ever be permitted to allow questions of medical priority to corrupt questions of medical necessity.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 9:23 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

From my perspective, your approach on health policy is quite wrong.

The decision about whether or not a given course of therapy is medically necessary belongs in two pairs of hands alone: the patient, and the physician. Period. No stranger to that relationship should have any input into that question.

Once a course of treatment has been decided as medically necessary, it then becomes a reasonable question about how to create a system of equitable access to resources (be they real estate, specialized professionals, equipment or pharmaceuticals). Physicians should work collegially to ensure that medical priorities are respected, to be sure. But the existence of priorities does not in any way diminish the medical necessity of therapies that present lower priorities.

The question of budgets is, of course, a vexing one. But we must always understand that public policy decision cannot ever be permitted to allow questions of medical priority to corrupt questions of medical necessity.

The welfare states of Canada and Europe are coming to a close:

http://www.newgeography.com/content/004 ... fare-state

Prioritization is starting to become very important, and I tell you for a tiny group like transsexuals needing such an expensive procedure, they make for a very low priority.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 5:22 am

beneficii wrote:
Prioritization is starting to become very important, and I tell you for a tiny group like transsexuals needing such an expensive procedure, they make for a very low priority.

I doubt that, for the following reasons:

Total expenditure:
If one was to prioritize health care from an economic perspective, one would need to look at total expenditure, and not just cost per procedure. Since there are so few patients who qualify for SRS, the total cost of treatment becomes almost completely irrelevant to total health care expenditure

Relevant alternatives:
If one was to prioritize health care from a medical perspective, one would need to look at relevant alternatives to treatment. Since no such alternative to SRS currently exists for those who qualify for treatment, it would be medically inadvisable to restrict access in these cases.

Publicity:
Individuals with gender dysphoria might be a tiny group, but there is significant media awareness about their situation. This is both because of the LGBT rights movement and their detractors.

Now, contrast SRS with operations for spinal disk herniation. These are quite costly ($ 6,900 in Denmark presently), but not as costly as SRS at $ 33,000. In Denmark, it is estimated that the annual need for surgery for spinal disk herniation amounts to 6,000 procedures, resulting in a total cost of approx. $ 41.4 million annually. If the number of these procedures could be reduced by just 1 percent, the money saved would be more than enough to finance all annual SRS treatments in Denmark.

And unlike SRS, there are actually often relevant alternatives to back surgery. Conservative treatment is often as good as (and sometimes even cheaper) than surgery in these cases, and vastly cheaper. Furthermore, there rarely is anything "political" about back surgery or alternatives. It's just another treatment.

It should come as no surprise, then, that there is significant focus - both from an economic and a medical perspective - In Denmark to ensure, that back surgery is only provided to those who stand to benefit from this procedure compared to conservative treatment. For SRS, there is actually political pressure to increase the availability of the procedure... and it would barely even register in total health care expenditure if SRS was made more available.

Summary:
So, anyone who was *serious* about prioritization in health care would probably barely even lift an eyebrow about SRS. He or she would focus on other treatments resulting in larger total expenditure and with a higher economic and medical potential for prioritizing.

Which leads me to conclude that those who advocate against coverage for sex reassignment surgery for cost control reasons are either:
  • deluding themselves into thinking that this will have any noteworthy effect on health care expenditure and taxes, or
  • dishonest, and simply using the cost control argument as a smoke screen to hide their moral disapproval of transsexualism, or
  • both.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm

Well, in reality, probably roughly 1 in 500 of the population or so is transsexual. Extrapolate that to the U.S. population and you get 12 billion dollars. I think most people would object to this, as they aren't particularly enthusiastic at helping transgender people. Case in point, my thread in another forum where I recounted my experiences of pain, but no one comes in to comfort me or give tips on what to do. Nope. If anyone talks to me, they talk down to me. If they wouldn't even try to comfort me or give tips on what to do, then why would they want to pay 12 billion effing dollars for people like me to get surgery? Yeah right!

Plus, just because there is a movement of doctors toward something means nothing. There's been a group of doctors pushing the soft bipolar spectrum for quite a while now. Recently, though, it's been found that those researchers have been using circular reasoning to redefine certain depressive symptoms as "bipolarity specifiers." Many other doctors are like, huh? What's this crud?

Considering the way a lot of doctors are opposed to coverage for sex change surgery, and it's just a group of doctors supporting it, one could argue the same sort of thing could be playing out here.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 5:54 pm

beneficii wrote:
Well, in reality, probably roughly 1 in 500 of the population or so is transsexual. Extrapolate that to the U.S. population and you get 12 billion dollars. I think most people would object to this, as they aren't particularly enthusiastic at helping transgender people. Case in point, my thread in another forum where I recounted my experiences of pain, but no one comes in to comfort me or give tips on what to do. Nope. If anyone talks to me, they talk down to me. If they wouldn't even try to comfort me or give tips on what to do, then why would they want to pay 12 billion effing dollars for people like me to get surgery? Yeah right!

Actually, 0.4% of the population is transsexual. Nobody said that transsexuals do not deserve help, but the price tags for SRS and feminization surgery are high. Hormones are cheap, though. Nobody in this thread is saying that you are a freak or anything like that, but both the American and the European economies have seen better days.