Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 12:09 pm

November is Autistic History Month -- this is our celebration, created by Autistic people, for Autistic people.

You are invited to share your view of Autistic/Aspergers history. Write blog entries and essays, share pictures, create art, compose music . . . whatever you do best. Send an e-mail to the co-ordinators and your contribution will be linked from the main site. If you don't have a place to share your contribution, contact the co-ordinators and your work will be hosted on the Autistic History Month site.

http://autistichistory.wordpress.com/

Please consider participating and please pass this information on to everyone you know so we can make this a terrific month for remembering and sharing our history.

Thank you!

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

Now, it sounds like this is a new project? :D Which is great, I compliment people on their energy and their effort!

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 1:06 pm

:) Did you make this or is it already established?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 1:15 pm

There is a web site. Someone is trying to get the ball rolling, and I compliment them. :jester: :bball:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 1:32 pm

Autistic "History"? That doesn't make sense. Autism hasn't been a recognized diagnosis long enough to have any real 'history.' We definitely need more Autism Awareness, but I'm not sure using a term that will make people think we're some sort of ethnic group is going to accomplish that.

I would also avoid terms like "Autistic Pride." You want to humanize people with autism, not set them apart as a fringe group.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 2:03 pm

Asperger96 wrote:

An Autism blogging consortium has been planning it since May. We chose November as the month and I am one of the team of administrators of the project. We are planning to make this an annual event. This is the first year.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

PikachuDenkiNezumi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2013, 2:27 pm

I'm with Willard on this one.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

29 Oct 2013, 12:51 am

Sparrowrose wrote:
Asperger96 wrote:

An Autism blogging consortium has been planning it since May. We chose November as the month and I am one of the team of administrators of the project. We are planning to make this an annual event. This is the first year.

I'm with you on this one and I think it's great that we're finally moving in the right direction. Hopefully this will give us the positive awareness that we need. :)

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

loosewheel
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2013, 2:13 am

Willard wrote:
Autistic "History"? That doesn't make sense. Autism hasn't been a recognized diagnosis long enough to have any real 'history.' We definitely need more Autism Awareness, but I'm not sure using a term that will make people think we're some sort of ethnic group is going to accomplish that.

I would also avoid terms like "Autistic Pride." You want to humanize people with autism, not set them apart as a fringe group.

I don't think it needs to make sense. Most people respond to sensory stimulus, not whether it makes sense. If it's spectacular then they become aware of it. It just has to look good, it doesn't have to be good. You're either adorned or despised, and it's just better to be one than the other. The reasons why don't really matter.

I think it's a constructive effort. It will probably take more than one event, but if persisted with it will have an effect over time.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 6:17 am

I have a question: What exactly is there about Autistic History? I try to think about it but can't think about anything off the top of my head.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 8:55 am

Willard wrote:

I took the "history" out and replaced it with "Awareness." Just makes more sense to me.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 8:58 am

no

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 10:08 am

I think we already have April for this.

Of course, AutSpeaks has pretty much laid claim to "Autism Awareness Month," and if we try to talk about being human too, and able too, and all the rest of our concerns, we're "selfishly trying to steal the spotlight."

So I can understand why those of us who don't see ourselves as broken might want/need our own month.

I'll be over. Good luck.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 11:50 am

Willard wrote:
Autistic "History"? That doesn't make sense. Autism hasn't been a recognized diagnosis long enough to have any real 'history.'

I have to disagree with this idea. World War II, the Korean War, The Vietnam War, The Cold War, and The European Union: all are legitimate subjects of historical study and all are younger than Autism.

I think there is a lot to think about in your other ideas about this, but five generations is quite long enough for something to have a history.

I imagine that in that history there will not only be diagnostic and analytical research but achievements by noted Autistics. I suspect this is the intent of the creators of this idea and it seems like a generally positive thing.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 1:17 pm

Learning more about autism and why it's not a defect but an alternative viewpoint is the bottom line, that's all people really need to know.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 2:06 pm

What the heck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism#History

If WLIR lets us I would I like Autism Dare to be Different Month. Hopefully this month will work by becoming outdated.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman