Is the Men's Rights Movement inclusive toward autistic men?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 12:17 am

Verdandi wrote:

Why did you write a virtually unreadable block of text at me in response to my attempt - in good faith - to provide more information for this discussion? Like, are you just trying not to discuss this? I mean I get you didn't like the way it was formatted, but I didn't exactly pick an article for the specific purpose of annoying you. Why try to play this tit for tat over something I didn't actually do?

What is it that makes you a feminist? And what is it that grants you authority as a feminist?

I don't think that anything grants me 'authory' as a feminist, apart from my belief that men and female are equal l (although differerent in some ways).

I wasn't aware that there're was some code which made you a feminist.

I count myself as a feminist -- meaning I am predispsosed to be sympathetic to feminist concerns ---but, but that doesn't mean I accept any old feminist dogma (for example 'rape culture') without questioning. I exceptionally find it objectionable when feministic chararacteristics portray themselves as anti-masculunism.

I have nothing against feminism, but I object to anti-masculanism.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 3:39 am

Personally I don't find the MRM to be inclusive of men in general much less men with autism. In fact they tend to try and shame other men who they believe don't live up to their pro-male standards. If you would interrupt domestic violence on the street where a guy was beating a woman they would label you a 'mangina' or 'white knight' who is apparently just trying to get laid. Maybe I just don't think people should beat each other in public. Having said that though, no I likely wouldn't step in on that kind of situation because that's actually a good way of getting hurt. Some people actually got shot to death in Melbourne, Australia a few years ago when they tried to stop some cowardly loser beating a woman in public. The MRA's have some serious blind spots emotionally, politically and otherwise and they also have zero academic credibility unlike feminism which, while it isn't perfect and can even sometimes produce anti-male lunatics, at least has some serious social scientific progress over the decades. Not just surveys or media content analysis, research with statistical significance as well.

semota
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2013, 12:48 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
gailryder17 wrote:
I've identified as a feminist for a while (I don't think that women are superior to men or anything like that), but I am curious about the Men's Rights Movement. So far, I know that it brings up the issue of men being raped, men not having sufficient counseling for domestic abuse, and men not having shelters if they need to escape from a situation involving domestic abuse, among other things. I feel that those are legitimate issues.

Those are legitimate issues........ Which the Men's Rights movement points to and then does absolutely nothing about. There are Rape/DV services for men but none of those groups actually want to be assosiated with the MRA movement and it's reactionary, hateful and not at all egalitarian agenda. Good articles:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... t-mrm.html
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... r-on-women

The group is very inclusive for Aspies because it's made up almost entirely of socially awkward men looking for a scapegoat (women) for thier inability to get laid and other woes. By all means join if you want to be a lonely and bitter man and certified p**** repellent. The fact that you don't seem to hate women (in fact identify as feminist) would lead me to believe that it wouldn't be a good fit for you at all really.........

+1

I have a blog about AS in Hungarian, and one of my regular commenters came out recently as a vocal MRA supporter. After that I came out as a feminist and started to blog about the similarities of the Neurodiversity Movement and Women's Rights Movement, several readers of mine got hurt and claimed that they'll going to stop reading my blog...

semota

21 Dec 2013, 12:53 pm

gailryder17 wrote:
Nowadays, I'm reconsidering whether or not I identify as a feminist due to some of feminism's failures to be intersectional. Oftentimes, the more privileged women would silence the voices of the less privileged women (e.g. Women of Color, transwomen, etc.).

I had different experiences. After I started to blog about the fact that the objectives of the Women's Rights Movement and Neurodiversity Movement are similar, a feminist activist reposted two of my blog posts on her blog (one about forming an authentic autistic identity and another one about the way female and autistic identity interacts with each other). I've even got an invitation to a feminist talk show in one of the Hungarian radios.

In my experience, feminist movement is pretty open to new impulses and new perspectives, it's only that you have to initiate this from within.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 7:45 pm

semota wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
gailryder17 wrote:
I've identified as a feminist for a while (I don't think that women are superior to men or anything like that), but I am curious about the Men's Rights Movement. So far, I know that it brings up the issue of men being raped, men not having sufficient counseling for domestic abuse, and men not having shelters if they need to escape from a situation involving domestic abuse, among other things. I feel that those are legitimate issues.

Those are legitimate issues........ Which the Men's Rights movement points to and then does absolutely nothing about. There are Rape/DV services for men but none of those groups actually want to be assosiated with the MRA movement and it's reactionary, hateful and not at all egalitarian agenda. Good articles:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... t-mrm.html
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... r-on-women

The group is very inclusive for Aspies because it's made up almost entirely of socially awkward men looking for a scapegoat (women) for thier inability to get laid and other woes. By all means join if you want to be a lonely and bitter man and certified p**** repellent. The fact that you don't seem to hate women (in fact identify as feminist) would lead me to believe that it wouldn't be a good fit for you at all really.........

+1

I have a blog about AS in Hungarian, and one of my regular commenters came out recently as a vocal MRA supporter. After that I came out as a feminist and started to blog about the similarities of the Neurodiversity Movement and Women's Rights Movement, several readers of mine got hurt and claimed that they'll going to stop reading my blog...

MRA's tend to have sensitive butts.

semota

23 Dec 2013, 12:01 pm

Dan_Undiagnosed wrote:
MRA's tend to have sensitive butts.

haha, so true

alcockell
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2014, 7:23 am

All I know is that I suffered massive cognitive dissonance for 30 years with me being sexually abused by girls in 1984 (I was 13 chronologically, with the unknown-at-the-time AS minus-5-years modifier to my sociosexual development, meaning that I was approx 7 or 8 in sexual development terms), and this happened during the most LOUD AND MILITANT period in UK 2nd-wave feminism. Basically had Dworkin and Steinem screaming at me through the culture that I was a "rapist" or a "bastard" just because I was male.

Bung in the AIDS crisis...

So it collapsed to "Although you are a victim, you brought it on yourself as you are a rapist because biology"... or something.

caused me to suicidally eat for 30 years, until I found Athol Kay's stuff and was able to rebalance with AVFM.

Consider that Warren farrell used to be chairman of New York NOW, and was a close colleague of Christina Hoff-Sommers - both egalitarian feminists... They were both booted out of NOW along with people like Camille PAglia, Doris Lessing etc by Steinem's lot in the late 70s/early 80s.

And hegemonic gynocentric Gender feminism would deem me as the lowest of the low - and subhuman because of an accident at birth. My biology.

I'm sorry - if an ideology discriminates and demonises a group of the population because of biology - that's bigotry.

My charge towards leading feminists like Emma Watson is that they are HYPOCRITICAL BIGOTS.

All I'd say to them is "Am I not human? Do I not bleed?"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 10:10 am

It's useless to create a victim mentality in all cases.

We have to be pro-active in our personal lives, and not rely on some political agenda.

We have to take people as they come, not as collective entities.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 11:44 am

Not all feminists demonize men like you said alcockell.

I'm one (and a male to boot) and I don't demonize men. I just want equality for all with no violence or harassment, which is the opposite of the majority of this men's rights BS (Men have basically ruled for how long, the wage gap, sexism in society still, etc.)

alcockell
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2014, 12:49 pm

HOwever, if you look at the cultural messages ("men are bad, women are wonderful") etc.. it does seem as though I am demonised.

That I am subhuman.

This is radical feminism - which is hegemonic feminism.

Or at least what I take away - and I don't understand why.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 1:33 pm

Radical feminism =/= all feminism

Just like the Christian fundamentalists don't represent me as a Catholic.

alcockell
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2014, 2:16 pm

Maybe not - but they do shout the loudest - and are therefore the message heard through the one interface they have to the outside world - the activist/lobbying face. The one I hear as a general member of the public affected by legislative changes.

As men and women are two separate parts of the body politic whose needs have to be balanced, what academic radical feminism proposes through people like Jessica Valenti... results in active discrimination against men.

As a straight white Asperger Christian male member of the public.. it sure sounds as though Hegemonic Feminism hates me, and is pushing for legal bigotry against me..

And nobody has explained why I should be discriminated against because of my biology and neurology.

Or if I am to hear people like Krista Femitheist correctly - I am slated to be killed. Because penis.

And I can't understand why. What have I done wrong by existing?

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 2:32 am

Security_Code, your attempts at provoking and insulting other members have been deleted, likewise the responses to them.

Let's keep it civil, please.

Security_Code
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2014, 2:36 am

Booyakasha wrote:
Security_Code, your attempts at provoking and insulting other members have been deleted, likewise the responses to them.

Let's keep it civil, please.

you moderated me. I'm contacting alex. I have not provoked or insulted people show one qoute where I have, you deleted the posts too. so now unless there is record you can say whatever you want, you don't see anything wrong with that?

I was completely civil I'm the one being attacked, gas lighted, abused and you know it. I do not appreciate this.

if alex wants to make a safe space for people with autistic spectrum disorders this is not how it should be down I feel completely unwelcome here.

Last edited by Security_Code on 11 Nov 2014, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 2:42 am

Sure, by all means contact Alex if you want. However any further accusation of trolling and provocation of other members will be deleted, and Alex will also be contacted Alex about your behaviour. Consider this an official warning.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 6:33 am

Security_Code, if you continue to obstruct this thread, I will ask Alex to ban you.