Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 8:31 pm

Do you guys ever feel like you get treated dismissively because of your social skills at work, while others who are nowhere near as capable as you get praised and rewarded? I'm not saying that to brag on myself, but I am hard worker and some of my coworkers are just plain lazy. I don't even want the kind of praise the get at this point, I would settle for not being dismissed.

Is there some way to stop hoping for this? Or if I got a different job would I be less Aspie and fare better? I'm really feeling demoralized because something bad happened at work today (no point in going into the details).

But what can be done about this?

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Oct 2013, 8:33 pm

kill the lazy f***s... they are sheeple...

i'm in this situation right now

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 8:59 pm

Oh yes. We Aspies are at the bottom of the ladder -- unless an NT takes us under his wing.

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Oct 2013, 9:04 pm

well if technology exists we should take control of the host body of a neurotypical... the body is a container...

it's like the greys and reptilians from the 4th dimension

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2013, 9:06 pm

I had a similar problem with my former job. I got laid off due to it. When I originally worked the job I was getting at the cusp of full time, 28 to 29 hrs. This is a fast food place just to give context. I did a lot of work compared to my former employess and I am not trying to sound like an egotist here either. After a while during the summer break teenagers were being hired. They got my hours, they got to stand around and doing nothing, most were baffled by their job running around like chickens with their heads cut off. And many of the veteran employees were disgruntled by management and hated their s**t job.

I was asked to do everybody's job for less pay and less hours.

I don't know if its your situation or not. But I gave them an ultamatum. I asked for more hours or I would leave. They wouldn't give it to me and I left.

Now I am not saying quit your job. The point was that you need to stand up for yourself and I know, trust me, I know how hard it is to do so. I'm mostly insecure and think highly what other people may say about me. I don't like sticking out of crowds. I like to blend in most of the time, but sometimes you have to come out of the shell.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 9:13 pm

Where I worked, those who sucked up to their boss, won. Those like us who don't suck up to anyone is always close to getting fired. Nothing we can do about that except suck up like the rest.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 10:04 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Where I worked, those who sucked up to their boss, won. Those like us who don't suck up to anyone is always close to getting fired. Nothing we can do about that except suck up like the rest.

I believe this is, and always has been, true.

(Of course including the normal exceptions of the average general statement)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 10:42 pm

Yes, Yes, Yes and it is getting worse not better. There are numerous threads discussing this issue in the Work and Finding a job section

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 3:21 am

My biggest career problems have been finding jobs.
As the old saying goes, "it's not what you know, but who you know."
Most jobs are obtained through social contacts, and I have almost no social life.

Diagnosed in 2005

AnotherAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2013, 10:59 am

Maybe this is only relevant depending on the type of work you do, but there's a trend in business advice these days to not just talk about mentors, but also about sponsors. People don't get far in business without someone above them who is on their side. Consider reading up on this and see if it would work for you/your job to get a bit closer to someone who can "sponsor" you by making sure your work is recognized and you're not overlooked for promotions.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 12:32 pm

I have been on both ends of the spectrum... in a great many places it is as you say... but also, I have been management... a lot...

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 12:50 pm

pete1061 wrote:
My biggest career problems have been finding jobs.
As the old saying goes, "it's not what you know, but who you know."
Most jobs are obtained through social contacts, and I have almost no social life.

This, times ten. Arguably, the best-paid job I ever had, I got through networking. Networking in this case means that I had an acquaintance whose aunt was looking for employees. So go figure.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm

I am having the same problems since starting this job in administration. Before this job, I worked in a lab setting and didn't have this back-stabbing, bitchiness (from men too!), attention seeking, lazy, task-delegating, sucking up to deal with. Quite frankly, I don't get all the phony office friendships and don't know how to play along and don't even want to. I go to work to WORK, not to socialize, kiss the boss's a**, and play games. Unfortunately, my 2 immediate supervisors are insecure men who revel in all the females attention and don't like me. I would have to go straight to the CEO, who does like me but I don 't want to appear whiny. Don't know what to do but I have to do something. It's getting so frustrating and being menopausal just compounds it, lol! :x

EQ: 17
You are very likely an Aspie

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 7:40 pm

AnotherAspie wrote:
Maybe this is only relevant depending on the type of work you do, but there's a trend in business advice these days to not just talk about mentors, but also about sponsors. People don't get far in business without someone above them who is on their side. Consider reading up on this and see if it would work for you/your job to get a bit closer to someone who can "sponsor" you by making sure your work is recognized and you're not overlooked for promotions.

I would love that but I can't be promoted, there is no where for me to be promoted to.

It's horrible we all have the same stupid sad problem! I feel like I'm getting so depressed it's making me ill! Gotta snap out of it.