Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2014, 10:17 am

Usually other people notice I am being literal when they attempt to make "jokes". I think I have a great sense of humour, and their jokes just aren't funny.

I don't have any trouble with metaphors, especially cliche phrases, as I find them interesting and know them for what they are.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 10:42 am

mrspotatohead wrote:
just happened yesterday, talking to someone I know

Her: You seem a lot more natural today (referring to how I was socializing pretty well)
Me: Oh, yeah, I've had a few drinks... alcohol helps
Her: that happens with dogs too
Me: Why would you give dogs alcohol...?
Her: I meant that having a dog make socializing easier...
Me: Well, there it is, then...

If that is being literal, then I remember thinking as a kid:

I would watch 101 dalmatians and Roger announces to Cruella Anita is going to have a baby and Cruella asked if it was true and she said yes and she shows sympathy (not sure if it was sarcasm or not) "Ugh you poor thing, I am so sorry" and she tells her they are very excited about it and Cruella says she can't be serious and Roger tells her she is. Then she said what can she say, accidents will happen and Roger informs her they are having puppies and she says that is somewhat better news she adores puppies and she will expect a decline in her work and Anita tells her she doesn't think so. Then Cruella says she will let her know when the event occurs and Anita says it won't be for another eight months.

All that time I thought Anita was saying the puppies won't come for another eight months. So for all those years I thought they had in the movie that it took Pongo and Perdy eight months for their puppies to come while in real life it would take about three months. I was about 21 when I finally learned Anita was talking about her baby and Cruella says"the puppies darling." I thought she was saying that to the dogs, not to her employee. I do these sort of things a lot. I even ask what does this have to do with that and then the person tells me. Honestly I don't know if it was my error or theirs.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:30 pm

mrspotatohead wrote:
just happened yesterday, talking to someone I know

Her: You seem a lot more natural today (referring to how I was socializing pretty well)
Me: Oh, yeah, I've had a few drinks... alcohol helps
Her: that happens with dogs too
Me: Why would you give dogs alcohol...?
Her: I meant that having a dog make socializing easier...
Me: Well, there it is, then...

Im NOT a person who takes things literally. And I wouldve been confused too. It sounds like she is saying "dogs get more socialable after theyve knocked back a few."

If she had said "it happens to a person when you walk dogs in the dog park" then I mightve figured it out. But the way she said it it wouldve made no sense to anyone. You shouldve asked her "what do they drink? I hope they dont drink 'Mad Dog'!"