An amateur theory about alcohol's affect on those with AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

kapo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Nov 2013, 2:52 pm

Basically, I find myself completely open, socially, when drunk. As I'm sure that many of you do. However, I don't feel it's because of a lack of inhibition, I personally feel that because I become desensitized to the world, I can actually interact with it (and people).

Agree/disagree/don't care?

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2013, 2:58 pm

I agree and disagree. There have been times when I have felt great while drinking acohol because it "blocks out" some of that constant stimuli, allowing me to enjoy other things going on around me.

However, 90% of the time that I drink alcohol, it just makes me feel nauseous, gives me a terrible headache, and also makes me veeery sleepy. So, it's no fun for anyone, especially not me.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 3:10 pm

I agree it blocks out the stimulus overload however how sociable I end up being depends on what mood I am in. Sometimes I don't feel very sociable at all in spite of consuming alcohol.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 3:42 pm

kapo wrote:
Basically, I find myself completely open, socially, when drunk. As I'm sure that many of you do. However, I don't feel it's because of a lack of inhibition, I personally feel that because I become desensitized to the world, I can actually interact with it (and people).

Well, it lowers inhibitions, and a lot of our social difficulties are exacerbated by the fact that (due to previous faux pas), we often hesitate to jump into a social interaction until the right moment has passed and it's too late. So, yes, alcohol definitely helps with that.

Still, it makes a difference who I'm socializing with. If it's a group of people I have nothing in common with, I'm not really any more likely than usual to want to chat with them. If it's a group I'm already friendly with, it does keep the conversation moving along, rather than just leaving me sitting there, observing. That and a little weed will keep me prattling all night long. :drunken:

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Nov 2013, 4:14 pm

I think it helps in social situations to a certain degree. I'm constantly being bombarded with social and sensory stimulus, and I think alcohol sometimes helps me to process it better/more easily. On the other hand I don't make good decisions when I drink, and since I only weigh about 100 pounds and don't drink often, I get drunk much faster than many other people.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 4:23 pm

When I get drunk in non-activity-based social situations I just end up walking around rambling to myself and insulting people until someone I've offended attacks me.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 5:13 pm

In terms of verbal interaction between NT and AS people, alcohol is the great leveller. It's a disinhibitor, so NT tend to become more direct and less tactful, and AS people tend to overcome their inherent reticence, so the two neurotypes can communicate more directly although (because of alcohol's brain-befuddling effects) with greater potential for contextual misunderstanding. Plus, getting together for a drink is a standard social event, so the expectations brought 'to the table' are of fun and pleasant company, which makes most people more relaxed and convivially disposed toward their fellow-drinkers before they're even started.

PowderHound
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Nov 2013, 5:25 pm

“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with fools.” — Ernest Hemingway

This quote makes me happy

Here's another one by Hemingway: “I drink to make other people more interesting.”

In all seriousness, though, alcohol does seem to help dull the senses. A loud bar is absolute chaos until I've had a few drinks.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 3:40 am

Could be.

For me, when I get drunk I ignore people more then go to sleep.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 4:07 am

TreeShadow wrote:
I agree and disagree. There have been times when I have felt great while drinking acohol because it "blocks out" some of that constant stimuli, allowing me to enjoy other things going on around me.

However, 90% of the time that I drink alcohol, it just makes me feel nauseous, gives me a terrible headache, and also makes me veeery sleepy. So, it's no fun for anyone, especially not me.

I get the same reaction to alcohol. I don't even waste my time with the stuff anymore.

Diagnosed in 2005

Eclipse247

14 Nov 2017, 3:42 am

kapo wrote:

Agree. It can block out the overstimulation and provide relief for a while. For me it also provides relief for emotional pain. It can be a band aid for an Aspie. However it can remove inhibitions and lead to arguments and bad decisions and is not a good idea for me to use. The effects of alcohol on my nervous system last for several days so a couple of beers every three days would be enough to affect me continuously, as will decisions made during that time.
Its lucky for Hemingway that alcohol seems to have released the writer in him while for me it releases an angry, irresponsible inner child who has not contributed anything positive that I am aware of.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 11:55 am

When I have been tipsy I have felt more relaxed, less anxious, and I've just wanted to enjoy feeling relaxed with relaxing activities like playing Solitaire etc. I've been as asocial tipsy as I am sober. Maybe even more so, as I don't wanna be drawn out of the soothing mood.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765