Issy Stapleton makes "miracle" recovery - video

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 12:03 pm

http://www.wwmt.com//shared/news/featur ... nhFy5EkOMM

The token system, which was scoffed at by many WPers, seems to really work for Issy. Her aggression has dwindled. She's home and mom is in jail awaiting a "mental competency hearing". I don't know MI law, but in CA a person must not understand right from wrong at the point the crime is committed to be let off on insanity.

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Nov 2013, 12:37 pm

In addition to the token system, her mother who tried to kill her was removed from her vicinity, she's been in coma for a long time, there's a lot more attention given to her and her surroundings and more. Not the kind of situation where you can point at one factor and say it helped, at least not with the information from the news article.
For a more accurate scientific test of the token system one would try to keep murder attempts at zero.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 1:05 pm

Threore wrote:
For a more accurate scientific test of the token system one would try to keep murder attempts at zero.
A masterful use of sarcasm. Perhaps you learned how to use sarcasm through a token system?

Seriously, though, I think Issy's aggression has dwindled mostly because she is away from the residential facility and away from her "mother". That, and she probably spends more time gathering her thoughts, since she is recovering from a hypoxic brain injury.

I think they're pretty stupid to say they don't know what she's thinking, though. They could try just asking her. (I didn't need a token system to learn sarcasm, either.)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 1:44 pm

I would think that the fact that Kelli is no longer in the household is huge and has been the best factor in Issy's changes. That source of stress was probably a very big factor in her violent outbursts.

Wreck It Ralph

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Nov 2013, 5:36 pm

Indeed. Despite those who insisted that Issy was simply abusive and had no logical cause for her behavior, it would not surprise me in the least to learn that a significant factor in her improvement is that her mother is not currently in her life.

But then I get the impression that many who defended Kelli's actions didn't read much of Kelli's blog... or if they did, were already inclined to be sympathetic to the mother despite the way she constantly dehumanized Issy on her blog.

I look forward to seeing more tortured rationalizations as to why what Kelli did is understandable. I'm sure they'll bring us new and important insights never explored before. /sarcasm

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 1:03 am

Yeah, to me the story seemed to indirectly imply that removing Kelli from Issy's life has made for very positive changes in Issy's beheaviour, the very changes Kelli wanted.