Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

07 Nov 2013, 2:26 pm

Dr Phil is going to do a show in bullying where he tells a father, who bullied his son to teach him a lesson about bullying others, that he was misguided for handling his son's bullying problem this way.

My question is, how many of you think Dr Phil is a bully?

I've always thought he is. He kinda bullies people on his show.

Classic example of the pot calling the kettle black imo.



old_badger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 41

08 Nov 2013, 11:52 am

Yes, I have always said that he is an academic bully.



Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 944
Location: Texas

08 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

I don't agree with everything Dr. McGraw says, but I'd hardly call him a bully. Most of his comments seem to be directly related to a specific situation, not arbitrary or demeaning. There's a difference between being bold and cruel; I haven't seen Phil cross that line yet.


_________________
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

08 Nov 2013, 1:49 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
I don't agree with everything Dr. McGraw says, but I'd hardly call him a bully. Most of his comments seem to be directly related to a specific situation, not arbitrary or demeaning. There's a difference between being bold and cruel; I haven't seen Phil cross that line yet.

I think he's a bully because he tells people what to think in a forceful way instead of figuring out in their own heads what to do. He honestly doesn't have any more clue than they he just bullies what he thinks they should do into their minds with his loud booming voice.



Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 944
Location: Texas

08 Nov 2013, 3:26 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
I don't agree with everything Dr. McGraw says, but I'd hardly call him a bully. Most of his comments seem to be directly related to a specific situation, not arbitrary or demeaning. There's a difference between being bold and cruel; I haven't seen Phil cross that line yet.

I think he's a bully because he tells people what to think in a forceful way instead of figuring out in their own heads what to do. He honestly doesn't have any more clue than they he just bullies what he thinks they should do into their minds with his loud booming voice.
Speaking loudly or forcefully does not make someone a bully; that comes from being malicious or hateful.


_________________
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.


GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 679
Location: Australia

08 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm

I agree that Doctor Phil does get very direct with some of the poeple on his show.

But it's also true that he is consistant, and those people chose to be there. If they couldn't take the heat, they would have declined to be on his show.

I few I've watched where Doctor Phil gets very direct with people, is where those people realy coudn't understand what they did was wrong. Even Doctor Phil telling them and trying to give examples of why they were wrong, they just couldn't get it through their thick skulls.

And I think for general education porposes for the viewers. It's well worth Doctor Phil interviewing these people. Makes us realise just what sort of people are out there.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

08 Nov 2013, 4:43 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
I don't agree with everything Dr. McGraw says, but I'd hardly call him a bully. Most of his comments seem to be directly related to a specific situation, not arbitrary or demeaning. There's a difference between being bold and cruel; I haven't seen Phil cross that line yet.

I think he's a bully because he tells people what to think in a forceful way instead of figuring out in their own heads what to do. He honestly doesn't have any more clue than they he just bullies what he thinks they should do into their minds with his loud booming voice.
Speaking loudly or forcefully does not make someone a bully; that comes from being malicious or hateful.

I disagree. When I watch his show, which is rarely, and see the way he talks to the people he has on stage, I get the impression he is bullying them. That's why I don't watch it. Just because he has a Phd and is a therapist doesn't mean it's impossible for him to be a bully. Often the ones with the most credentials can get away with being some of the biggest bullies around.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,097
Location: temperate zone

08 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
I don't agree with everything Dr. McGraw says, but I'd hardly call him a bully. Most of his comments seem to be directly related to a specific situation, not arbitrary or demeaning. There's a difference between being bold and cruel; I haven't seen Phil cross that line yet.

I think he's a bully because he tells people what to think in a forceful way instead of figuring out in their own heads what to do. He honestly doesn't have any more clue than they he just bullies what he thinks they should do into their minds with his loud booming voice.
Speaking loudly or forcefully does not make someone a bully; that comes from being malicious or hateful.

I disagree. When I watch his show, which is rarely, and see the way he talks to the people he has on stage, I get the impression he is bullying them. That's why I don't watch it. Just because he has a Phd and is a therapist doesn't mean it's impossible for him to be a bully. Often the ones with the most credentials can get away with being some of the biggest bullies around.


The short answer is no, he is not a bully.

He is tough coach. He has to be to hold your feet to the fire and get to the nub of the your issues with enough velocity to fit into a one hour show.

But thats not the same thing as being a bully. He is not like a certain supervisor I had at work who was a real bully who did it out of malice.

But I will say that he does get more wound up with each season, and is starting to step on people's toes a little bit. Like he will ask just the right question, and the mom of the drug addict kid will heave a long sigh. and you the viewer will see that shes admitting to her own contribution to the kids problems with that non verbal sigh ( yeah -you caught me with my pants down doc). But then he miss interprets her sigh and get angry at her for 'being self righteous" ( Doc! You won! Quit while youre ahead already!).

Things like that annoy.



heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,393

09 Nov 2013, 6:54 am

I don't think Dr Phil intends to be a bully. But he is sometimes.

The classic instance where Dr. Phil repeatedly "bullies" is when he blames the victim. You'll see this again and again if you watch his shows. You'll often see that he tries to make the victim and the perpetrator "work it out" or get therapy together. This is abuse as far as I'm concerned. A professional should know better. A commoner might not, but he's supposed to be the smart one. You cannot reason with an abuser. Dr. Phil doesn't seem to get it. This is psych 101. If you want help the victim, tell them to LEAVE... period.

I've heard him use the phrase "it takes two to tango." But to an abuse victim, when he parrots this phrase, he is revictimizing the person who did nothing wrong at all. The end result is that he is revictimizing the person ( even though it is probably not his true intention).

Other than that, I kind of just think he is stupid sometimes. I don't actually think he is a true bully. But I do think he is narcissistic and at times ignorant.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

09 Nov 2013, 12:26 pm

Thanks everyone for your input :)

I agree with some of what you think. I find him really annoying which is why I don't watch his show. He sneaks onto other shows that just happen to be on from time to time and I see him only for a moment if it takes longer to find the remote control.