Brains of Autistic Children Are Surprisingly Hyper-Connected

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 8:50 pm

Verdandi wrote:
eric76 wrote:
As your post consists of labeling some statements as silly with no explanation or justification at all for those labels and then a link to an article on fallacies, your post was nothing but meaningless drivel. Perhaps you need some serious practice in logic and communication. You certainly showed no capabilities so far.

If you asked "Could you elaborate on the link?" this conversation wouldn't be happening. But you had to make it about how you view people who don't link the way you want as bad people, and that's where the logical fallacy comes in - I even named it for you.

So what is the precise name given to this "logical fallacy"?

Or do you think that you are the God of Logical Fallacies since you have been on the Internet since 1992?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Nov 2013, 9:02 pm

eric76 wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
eric76 wrote:
As your post consists of labeling some statements as silly with no explanation or justification at all for those labels and then a link to an article on fallacies, your post was nothing but meaningless drivel. Perhaps you need some serious practice in logic and communication. You certainly showed no capabilities so far.

If you asked "Could you elaborate on the link?" this conversation wouldn't be happening. But you had to make it about how you view people who don't link the way you want as bad people, and that's where the logical fallacy comes in - I even named it for you.

Or do you think that you are the God of Logical Fallacies since you have been on the Internet since 1992?

Fundamental attribution error, or false attribution error. Or correspondence bias. It's what you did when you said that people who didn't post explanations to your satisfaction to go with their links obviously didn't care enough about them.

I did not say I was the god of the internet. I said that you are the first person I have ever seen complain about this and I have been on the internet for over 20 years.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 9:16 pm

Verdandi wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Fundamental attribution error, or false attribution error. Or correspondence bias. It's what you did when you said that people who didn't post explanations to your satisfaction to go with their links obviously didn't care enough about them.

While I think you are wrong, I can see why you might think that.

My distaste for naked links is so great that when asked for a link to something, I will often still provide an executive summary or excerpt of the link. For example, see [url]
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... 08#5737208[/url] and then my response a couple of messages down about the Donald Scott shooting in California. (This is as close to a naked link as I can allow myself to provide.)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 11:14 pm

I don't know that there is hyperconnectivity in visual and auditory cortex of autistic people's brains by asking autistic people like myself.

Even for things not involving more access into brain, I don't know what causes my freakazoid prowess in visual search by asking myself, so I have to make eggsperiment, collect data, and analyze data to get some clues for further study.

But it is useful to do some asking of oneself and others to focus on which specific question I should ask in my eggsperiment and how to make eggsperiment to answer that question.

I don't know what is the root of the social deficits, but that is one area of my research that is verry merry berry interesting.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 12:05 am

My brain is hyperconnected in some ways (seeing/hearing/thinking in patterns), and hypoconnected in other ways (social cues).

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 1:37 pm

eric76 wrote:
Another reason to either provide an executive summary or an excerpt is that just providing a link doesn't give others any indication about what is on the page that they find interesting and want to discuss. In many cases, likely with this case as well, that isn't important. In other cases, I have seen people become a bit upset when the discussion centers around points other than those that the person who posted the link wanted to discuss. It really helps to focus the discussion to somehow indicate what parts of the story the person is most interested.

Point taken. Thank you eric76 for the advice, and in future if I find an interesting link I'll also post a summary.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 4:48 pm

Willard wrote:
I cannot comprehend why researchers will waste years and millions of dollars trying to figure out what's going on in the heads of autistic children and adolescents, when all they have to do is ASK adults who have already lived with the condition for decades and can more clearly articulate what they're experiencing. Hel-loOooOOoo, we're RIGHT HERE. :roll:

It is getting really annoying that all the research and attention is towards the young, as if they are assuming this is something that people outgrow, or something that just appeared with this current generation.

Diagnosed in 2005