Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 3:42 pm

Was George right or wrong to shoot Lennie?

did he really not have a choice?

I know this is going to sound odd or weird but stick with me

if lennie wasn't mentally disabled would he still gotten killed? With the story pretty much unchanged except how curlys wife was accidentally killed.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 3:50 pm

I would say that he was certainly not right, but I can understand why he might do it.

In real life these days, he would probably be arrested and charged with murder for killing him.

Rabbers
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2013, 3:59 pm

I think he killed him out of kindness as had the people looking for him have found him they would have tortured him then killed him. So I think morally he was right.
If Lennie didn't have a mental disability the whole story may have been different. Maybe he wouldn't have wanted to travel around with George?

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 6:02 pm

It is a good question, in some ways it was a mercy killing as the others planned to shot him in the guts and let him slowly die. So quickly killing him with a shot to the head was kinder but still illegal.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2013, 6:21 pm

Legal often has no bearing on right. He was absolutely right to spare his friend the pain that he would have gone through when the mob caught him. And if he wasn't mentally challenged he would have been aware of what he was doing and she wouldn't have died, therefore no mob.