Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 2:33 am

I was interviewed a week ago Friday by a local studio that promotes local businesses and community spirit. During the interview, I discussed my having autism as probably the reason I became The Bicycling Guitarist. It is not just my stage name but is who I am and what I do. However, that part of the interview didn't make it to the final product. Even so, in the final video some of my symptoms are mentioned in some of my answers to some of their questions.

What really irks me though is that even though they show some footage of me riding my bicycle and playing guitar in a vacant room on the third floor of their downtown building, my music is not heard at all, not even for a few seconds! Instead they have their theme music playing while they show the video of me playing MY music. That doesn't seem right somehow. I would be obliged if someone who reads this would post a comment on this YouTube video page, something to the effect of "Hey, how come we don't get to hear what The Bicycling Guitarist is playing when you show the video of him riding in that room?" Just saying...

I tried to raise public awareness of autism in this interview. I also hoped that at least some of my original music would be heard. I failed both, but I am not the one who edited and produced this video. Don't shoot the (bicycle) messenger!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPQc_EMQPBQ&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Lol if you really wanna help me out, you could also post that comment on their Facebook page: Rural Rocks (clothing). Maybe if a couple different people say that maybe they will redo the video to include MY music when it shows me riding and playing. I still can't believe they didn't even share a few seconds of my stuff. I was doing some fancy guitar playing there!

Disclaimer: I am grateful for the publicity they gave me. The video editing is very slick and quite well done. I also hope they are pleased with it for their purposes which I support. It just sucks that I don't have any quality recordings of how I play and sing now compared to the stuff from last year and older posted on my own YouTube channel. I will continue to try to raise public awareness of autism and to share my original music.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 7:44 pm

If your music is totally original (you wrote it and there's none other like it) then in all likelihood they didn't add it because of legality. Normally when producers and such do movies/documentaries/shows of any kind, they have to pay royalties to the composers of the music they use in that show. Even if it were just a youtuber, they would still have to have your permission and legal documentation to use said media in such a way because if they didn't, they could potentially be sued by the composer, even if they expressed verbal consent to use said material. In most cases there has to be documentation that shows the licensing rights of both the composer and end user in order to prevent either side from filing a bogus suit.

As far as the autism stuff goes, they probably cut it for a few reasons, not necessarily any of these, but not limited to them either: Relevance to the show as a whole, time, public relations, image, etc.
You'd have to ask them in the long run why they cut it out, but those are generally the most common reasons (time especially).

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 10:49 pm

Hi Jaden and thanks for your comment. I also want to thank the person who posted a comment on the YouTube page as I requested. The video series this is part of is supposed to be upbeat and positive, so I guess discussing how autism sucks for me wouldn't be right for this interview for their purposes (building community spirit).

When I asked the guy who was making the video if some of the footage of me riding and playing in that room would be included, I seem to recall he said yes. I assumed that meant the audio would be included, but the audio of my original music was not included for whatever reason. I did ask them to not erase any footage they don't use but to let me have it and use it. They said they would and I could so we'll see what comes from that.

When he showed me a working version of the film a few days ago it was jerky and the audio didn't sync right with the video because it had not yet been "rendered." I hope to get the footage with sound of me on the bicycle so I will have some new stuff to post on my own YouTube channel. My career (such as it is) is probably better off for having this publicity than if I had not been interviewed at all.