Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

superlocrian
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2013, 9:19 pm

I have my first consultation this friday. Ive already started to identify with AS as a diagnosis in the typical life affirming validating way - that is it brings all my behaviours and inner tensions into focus/clarity. I know to avoid "Priming" the psych as going in brandishing a diagnosis will make him/her try to disprove said diagnosis. At the same time however being older and only having begun to present symptoms at 6-7 years im concerned that it wont even occur to them to suggest AS. AS was removed from the DSM V due to just this sort of thing - inconsistent diagnostic application so my fears have at least some foundation.

What would you recommend for a first consultation/?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:54 am

Find out everything you can about your very young self even if it means talking with family members. Don't mentally throw anything out because it seems unrelated, let the psych decide what is relevant. If you can't get info from your toddler years just get it from as young as you can. A good psych will understand records may be no longer be existent and memories from decades ago sketchy.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

superlocrian
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Nov 2013, 5:29 am

thanks! So should one go in armed with a diagnosis or simply present my issues?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 6:06 am

superlocrian wrote:
thanks! So should one go in armed with a diagnosis or simply present my issues?

Present

Let us know how it goes.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman