Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JayyV
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2013, 2:23 am

Hi everyone c:

Was just curious as to if anyone else Aspie besides myself experiences colour blindness? It's starting to really stress me out.. any ideas on how to help this at all?

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 2:42 am

Nope, not me. I have a very acute sense of color.
I've been known to notice subtle differences in hue that most folks overlook.

Diagnosed in 2005

Shikari
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:29 am

Guys are more likely to be colorblind than the girls.

Here's a link to an online color blindness test. 0 is a perfect score meaning not colorblind.

Edit: This test measures human color vision, not birds or any other animal.

Color Test

Last edited by Shikari on 11 Nov 2013, 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:54 am

Shikari wrote:
Guys are more likely to be colorblind than the girls.

Here's a link to an online color blindness test. 0 is a perfect score meaning no color blindness.

Color Test

In a sense, everybody is colorblind. Nobody sees all colors perfectly. What we do see is a mixture of colors based on the usual three primary colors.

There are, however, a very few women in the world (I think only one has been positively identified) who can discern many more colors than people with normal color vision. Instead of three primary colors, they see four primary colors.

Imagine being able to see where painters ran out of a can of paint when painting a house and start with another can of paint. To people with normal color vision, the different cans of paint appear to be the same color. But to a true tetrachromat, the differences between cans of paint can be rather distracting.

Turtles and certain birds are tetrachromats. I'm not sure, but I think that their fourth primary color is generally in the ultraviolet range. Have you ever wondered why a hawk or eagle flying high above the ground can see a tiny mouse and dive to the ground to get it? It used to be thought that they had remarkable vision acuity, but it now appears that it is their color vision that permits them to see the mouse. More accurately, it's not the mouse they see, but the urine trail of the mouse that leads them to the mouse.

So the "no color blindness" in the test should be "normal color vision", not "no color blindness".

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 11:37 am

I've read that true tetrachromats have an extra yellow receptor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromat

I speculate that maybe in some situations, the rods which are typically for b & w vision, could be used by the visual cortex to process color data, since they are sensitive to their own wavelength (between blue & green). But I'm no neurologist, so I can only speculate.

Diagnosed in 2005

Ausome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Nov 2013, 12:26 pm

I'm pretty colour blind, to the extent that I once coloured in the sea purple in a picture.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2013, 12:46 pm

I am colour blind apparently - the test I did was the numbers in dots in a circle. I didn't see any of the numbers at all. It is very odd as the world is a very colourful place to me; I guess what I see as one colour somebody else may see differently. Can't say it has ever caused any major problems, maybe the odd social faux pas where what I was wearing "didn't match" apparently, albeit they looked fine to me!

There is no 'treatment' as such I'm afraid, it is simply a case of adapt and carry on. I have my partner help me pick out the right colour tie for the shirt and suit or the right colour t-shirt with jeans etc. It helped me anyway.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 2:34 pm

red/green - yes - but i haven't taken a test in a long time and i wonder if it's changed any.

the only time it affects me at all is reading red writing on a green background or green writing on a red background - sometimes it's next to impossible to read.

red/green is the most common colour blindness, so i know i'm not alone.

meh, it doesn't stress me at all - who cares?

TheCrookedFingers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2013, 4:41 pm

I am mildly colour blind, and I am a girl. That makes me rare, like a panda.

Why is your colour blindness stressing you? Mine is not severe enough to have any effect besides sometimes messing up my outfits.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 11:52 pm

Davvo7 wrote:
I am colour blind apparently - the test I did was the numbers in dots in a circle. I didn't see any of the numbers at all. It is very odd as the world is a very colourful place to me; I guess what I see as one colour somebody else may see differently.

There is a web site that purports to show people with normal color vision what color blind people see.

I remember sending the link to my sister. I'll see if we can find it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:01 am

pete1061 wrote:
I've read that true tetrachromats have an extra yellow receptor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromat

I speculate that maybe in some situations, the rods which are typically for b & w vision, could be used by the visual cortex to process color data, since they are sensitive to their own wavelength (between blue & green). But I'm no neurologist, so I can only speculate.

Actually, two of the cone pigments -- the L-cone for red and the M-cone for green -- are encoded on the X chromosome. The blue or S-cone is on chromosome 7.

Since men have only one X chromosome, a defect in either the L-cone or the M-cone pigments will result in color blindness. For women, having two X chromosomes, they would have to have a defect in both L-cone pigments or both M-cone pigments.

There is also a natural variation in the pigments. If the two L-cone pigments or the two M-cone pigments are different enough but not defective, then it would be possible to have two red pigments, one green pigment, and one blue pigments, for example, resulting in four primary colors. In the vast majority of people, the genes for the red pigments are usually similar enough that there is insufficient difference between the pigments. The same goes for the green as well.

It should be possible for both men and women to have one red pigment, one green pigment, and two blue pigments, but I don't think anyone has been found.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:26 am

I'm not "color-blind" myself. In my country of birth all boys are tested for it quite regularly (maybe every year or so) at school. Or that was the case when I was around that age. Girls are also tested but not as regularly.

I've had quite a few "color-blind" people around. One interesting thing I found out was that there are some color differences that only "color-blind" people can see. There were some pages in that color-blindness test book where only "color-blind" people are supposed to be able to see the pattern. So I realized that rather than calling it color-blindness, we could maybe call it just a different color vision.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:28 am

While looking for the web site I mentioned earlier that shows people with normal color vision what we see without normal color vision, I ran across this article:

From http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2194293/How-insight-Van-Goghs-vision-shape-understanding-colour-blindness--change-view-Masters-work.html:

Quote:
There were prints of Vincent van Gogh’s paintings in the room.

Under the filtered light, I found that these paintings looked different from the van Gogh which I had always seen.

He added: 'I love van Gogh’s paintings and have been fortunate to view a number of the originals in various art museums.

This painter has a somewhat strange way to use color.

'Although the use of color is rich, lines of different colors run concurrently, or a point of different color suddenly appears.

I’ve heard it conjectured that van Gogh had color vision deficiency.

'However, in the van Gogh images seen in the color vision experience room, to me the incongruity of color and roughness of line had quietly disappeared.

'And each picture had changed into one of brilliance with very delicate lines and shades. This was truly wonderful experience.'

He continued: 'One of my friends who has protanomal color vision, a designer and painter, said this to me:

''Isn’t it wonderful? We color deficient people have understood Gogh’s true wonderfulness and we have said that he is the genius of geniuses.

'But color normal people do not understand it well, seemingly.

'Gogh was surely color vision deficiency.

'Therefore, color deficient people can better understand his pictures.'

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2013, 7:13 am

Thank you for posting that Eric, very interesting. I went to the Musee D'orsay in Paris a while ago and they have a large number of his original works displayed. They are magnificent in person, the thickness and texture of his painting is so lost on the flattened prints. I must admit that I always thought his liking for Absinthe had a lot to do with his perception of perspectives, :) , but maybe there is far more to it.

I found this link which may be what you were thinking of?

http://www.vischeck.com/examples/

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 8:45 am

seems like I had a problem distinguishing between orange and yellow and blue and purple. I was aware of the last one, but the yellow/orange is new to me.

DeviousDani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2013, 12:57 am

They are grey and black :wink:

:heart: you xoxo