If I was no longer "different":
I'd rather I was more like everyone else 20%  20%  [ 11 ]
I'd rather everyone else was more like me 80%  80%  [ 43 ]
Total votes : 54

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 4:50 am

For those of you with an ASD who feel "different" to most people around you - and would rather not - which option fits best? Do you feel more like there is something "wrong" with you, and you'd like to be more neurotypical, or are you pretty happy with the way you are and think NTs should be more like you?

Feel free to discuss in more detail :)

{ I know the two options are stupidly dichotomous and break the survey question rules I always harp on about, but this isn't professional research and hopefully you get what I'm asking ;) }

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:26 am

If the world was more like me it would be a hell of a lot quieter and less violent. Population growth would not be an issue.

If I was more neurotypical I would meet more interesting people. But overall I vote for the world being more like me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 7:47 am

This is a tricky question , I would like Aspergers to be more common than it is at the moment , although I wouldn't like everyone to be like me , I'd like a balance of Aspies and NT's on the Planet , that would be interesting.

loosewheel
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2013, 8:37 am

I selected the second option because that's more inline with how I see it.

I don't think I could cope if people were all like me. On the rare occasion when someone has agreed with me it's really awkward. You state a point of view and they agree, then it's like what are we supposed to do now, have sex or something. It feels really perverse.

People can be whoever they want to be, so long as they mind their own business and I don't have to cop their crap. The people who are important to me I'll go out of my way for, but beyond that, I prefer to keep it formal.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 9:48 am

A life of suffering with my ASD or a normal life ... hmm ... which one would I take ?

I would take a normal life.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 10:04 am

I would definitely much rather be NT. An entire world with people as socially awkward as me would not be a good thing at all. We're no more oblivious or indifferent to things like that than NTs are.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 10:12 am

I don't feel different as such. I just feel fearful, childlike, miserable, hyper, confused, shy, and unknowledgeable at times (not all those at the same time).

But, to answer the OP's question, I would rather be a different person altogether - someone without AS or any other condition what affects the mind and social skills. I just want to be an average NT.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 11:40 am

I wish I had more NT skills. But I also think a lot of NTs would benefit from my skills. Sigh. Fitting in would be nice.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 12:42 pm

Honestly divided. Yes I would like some aspects to be more like NTs, but there are some I prefer as is. So I wouldn't give up what I am, nor would I wish ASD on anyone else. So I guess I would choose neither.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 12:49 pm

Neither - I just wish we could assimilate better with the non Aspies, but still be ourselves and let them be themselves.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 12:57 pm

If I was no longer "different" then I would no longer be me.
I can't make myself more NT or change others so may as well just get on with it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 2:09 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I would definitely much rather be NT. An entire world with people as socially awkward as me would not be a good thing at all. We're no more oblivious or indifferent to things like that than NTs are.

But would I be socially awkward if I understood most peoples social signals because they would be like me?. Just because everybody would be like me would I understand their social signals?. I think the answer would be "yes" to the above questions but I really don't know.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:17 pm

wozeree wrote:
Neither - I just wish we could assimilate better with the non Aspies, but still be ourselves and let them be themselves.

This.

I wouldn't want to deal with people who are anything like me. :P But I have no interest in changing myself.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:27 pm

I voted for wanting to everyone to be more like me, if I were no longer different. It might be nice....we'd all smile and wave at each other when we met on the street (even at people we don't know that well but appear friendly), everyone would probably carry around at least one or two plushies/coping items, everyone would probably carry on long, rich and illustrious conversations with each other about cetaceans, animated film/cartoons, etc and we'd always know exactly what one another was feeling, and would be very sensitive to those feelings and try to help each other cope. We also might not see each other as often as we'd like since a lot of us would probable be all snuggled up in bed with our blankets, plushies, laptops and cranberry juice. There would also be no more fat-shaming and we'd probably go around hugging each other a lot. :D

I think the reason why I wish that people would be more like me if I were no longer different is because predictability in others is very important to me; is essentially my KEY to understanding a given person and what makes them tick, etc. Since not many people are predictable, I find myself second-guessing myself a lot and pretty much flying by the seat of my pants (a figure of speech I've always been fond of) when it comes to social interaction, and it's exhausting.

I know that what I've described in the top paragraph is not everyone's cup of tea, but, you know...a wish is just a wish, and it's very unlikely to come true. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Nov 2013, 3:34 pm

If everyone was like me, then nothing would ever get done.

If I was NT, the world would keep spinning.

Ideally though, I'd make everyone like a "good" NT.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 4:34 pm

everyone should be more like me! i'm so tired of the endless nt chatter, blubbering about nothing. afraid to be different, must wear what the others wear and not what they like. as if they dont know what they want and must rely on others all the time. dependent on company, cant be alone. hanging around people, acting as if they like them a lot, and then say behind their backs what pains in the neck they really are, and they just talked to them to kill time.