Did you like Q (Star Trek TNG character )

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 1:32 pm

He was on of my favorite charterer in Star Trek, despite fact that he was little bit a Jerk, like Gregory House from House MD :D

He plays prank at expanse of Enterpise crew, but he warn Federation about Borg, and help Jean-Luc Picard in his Midlife crisis in "Tapestry" episode

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 1:57 pm

Q is a bit like Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen, just in reverse.

Dr. Manhattan starts out being connected with humanity, and progressively gets more and more detached.

Q starts out being completely detached from humanity, and gradually starts to "get" it.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 2:33 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Q is a bit like Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen, just in reverse.

I think I once I watched but can not remember too much, it was a movie, a scientist accidentally entered the accelerator and turned into some blue monster.
I think I I watched. However, Q is my favorite character from Star Trek :D

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:56 pm

I think he was mishandled by writers who didn't know what to do with such a powerful character. Though I did like how he was used to Bookend the series at the beginning and the end.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:10 pm

It doesn't really surprise me that Roddenberry was confused with how to write a godlike character, being a devout atheist himself. At one point, Q seems cruel and vindictive, while at others, he was almost compassionate. The only consistent trait was his huge ego, which I suppose ties into the "power always corrupts" mentality.

I really enjoyed Q's appearances, and meeting John de Lancie was a really cool experience. He said that even after so many years, the character's popularity still amazes him, because his episodes were so limited.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 8:15 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI1_dT0DwGM[/youtube]
I'm pretty sure a lot of bronies like Q.

But, yeah. I think he's pretty cool.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 8:19 pm

Q (as portrayed by John DeLancie) was an ascended being, so of course his actions seemed to make no sense in human terms.

I found the character at times annoying, poignant, comical, and just plain entertaining.

No need for any deep philosophic analysis when I'm LMAO.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 1:29 am

Two characters I avoid at all costs: Q and Lwaxana Troi. :eew:

If you want an interesting villain try Michael Eddington.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 4:03 pm

The whole concept of Q was a bit annoying.

His "race" are so advanced that they have God-like quality. Apparently all-knowing (with some obvious shortfalls) and all-powerful (but can you be that if another Q can neuter your powers). Certainly not omnipresent or possessing perfect wisdom.

In spite of that, this one member goes about wreaking havoc. Seems very out of sorts for someone possessing such knowledge and advancement.

But then we see what became of them in ST: Voyager. When the one Q wanted to kill himself and they wouldn't let him because they didn't know how to handle it. They had learned it all, seen it all, done it all, and there was no point for their existence anymore. Made it seem like attaining such a goal was largely pointless.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2013, 4:21 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
At one point, Q seems cruel and vindictive, while at others, he was almost compassionate.

Sounds like the god of the Bible to me.

zer0netgain wrote:
In spite of that, this one member goes about wreaking havoc. Seems very out of sorts for someone possessing such knowledge and advancement.

It's very in sorts for someone removed from all practical and moral consequences of his or her actions.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 6:48 pm

I saw him as the "Trickster Mentor" character (notice he's even mentioned in the Live-Action TV folder). His actions seemed to make no sense, at first, but he always had a reason (of some kind) for everything he did, which ultimately ended up teaching someone an important lesson (even himself, at times).

Having an affinity for those kinds of figures in mythology (Coyote, Raven), yes, I was quite fond of the character, still am.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2013, 9:33 pm

i like him.

I like how well he takes the disrespect from the people of the enterprise.

I think that his agenda is a lot more benign than the people of the star trek universe seem to realise.

Even when he seems to be playing games i think he's doing it for good reasons that he hides behind messing with them.

Like the early next generation episode where he introduces the enterprise to the borg.

Ah, looking it up, found this

"It is implied in the episode and later stated in the Star Trek TNG Companion that the Borg already knew about Earth and were already en route, Q's actions actually giving humanity an early warning."

Yeah, he's kinda like the doctor in dr who.
It always baffled me how the doctor could bimble in, not particularly aiming in any direction, while he neatly sidesteps all harm in the luckiest way possible and solves all the problems, until i realised what he was actually doing and the nature of the doctor himself. There's nothing random with him at all, he can see the future and knows exactly what will happen, he just prods events along at the right points and maneuvers people and uses them as tools to change events to the form they need to be in.

I just see Q in that way. Looks like he's messing things up when in actual fact everything he does is entirely intentional and by design.

safetystephen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Nov 2013, 3:59 am

Love Q! Sometimes things got a little silly when he was around, like when he was pestering Sisko & Janeway, but they were fun episodes for sure.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Nov 2013, 10:58 pm

woodster wrote:
Even when he seems to be playing games i think he's doing it for good reasons that he hides behind messing with them.

Like the early next generation episode where he introduces the enterprise to the borg.

Ah, looking it up, found this

"It is implied in the episode and later stated in the Star Trek TNG Companion that the Borg already knew about Earth and were already en route, Q's actions actually giving humanity an early warning."
Humanity already knew about the borg because there was an episode with a couple of em in the Enterprise series. They got rid of them rite after the borg sent some kind of signal & T`Pol commented about where they sent it & how long it would take to arrive. That whole incident with Q was started because Q wanted Picard to admit that he needed the great Q's help & only saved them after Picard begged him to. Q gave the federation a better idea about how powerful the borg really were & how serious the threat was but in the process allowed a few crew members to be assimilated so the borg were able gain an edge by acquiring the knowledge they had about earth, star-fleet, federation, & their knowledge about what the technology was like.
Q was also featured in an ep of Deep Space 9 & a couple eps of Voyager. I thought he was a pretty interesting & entertaining character. I saw him as a misfit within the continuum who did his own things his own way. He did some good but he went about it in the worst way possible so he could have fun & get his ego stroked & he didn't care about the damage/harm he caused.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 3:13 pm

^Kinda...in the sense that the series ENTERPRISE "rewrote" some aspects of Trek history, even though it was made well after NEXT GENERATION. If I remember correctly, in the original NEXT GEN episode ("Hide and Q"), an away team boarded a Borg cube and were completely mystified at first...Maybe Archer's crew failed to write up detailed reports?

IMO, if the Federation already knew about the Borg, then Picard's crew would have known EXACTLY what to do when they encountered them (it had been several centuries since Archer's time). They needed Q's help because they had no idea what they were up against, which was part of the point made in "Hide and Q", as Q himself said at the end (and this makes a good deal of sense):

Quote:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you should go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross...but it's not for the timid."

We saw how true this was years later with the advent of VOYAGER. (I think that Q sent Picard's crew to the Delta Quadrant in "Hide and Q.")

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Nov 2013, 4:38 pm

conundrum wrote:
If I remember correctly, in the original NEXT GEN episode ("Hide and Q"), an away team boarded a Borg cube and were completely mystified at first...Maybe Archer's crew failed to write up detailed reports?
Archer's crew never boarded a borg cube. They knew that they assimilated people & ships but that was about it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition