Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 4:40 pm

IDK. Maybe it was from the large groups at youth group, but whenever I am at a gathering, or even see a photo of a group of people hanging out, I just churn inside and change the photo. Or when I am in a crowd, I want to leave. Anyone feel like that? Or even seeing groups of people walking by. I cross to the other side. To me, groups are like the 4 horsemen of the apocalypses.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:38 pm

That's one of the basic requirements for membership in the Asperger Club. :D

Oddly, I'm okay in places like a mall at Christmastime, because I feel sealed off in a bubble of anonymity - none of those people care who I am and I don't have to interact with them socially, just dodge them like they were objects on an obstacle course. But if someone I know suddenly calls my name and expects to have a conversation, I collapse into a shutdown and can't speak.

I don't even like party or club scenes in movies. I can't even imagine why people think New York is such an exciting place. I'd rather kill myself than live in a place that crowded.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:38 pm

Not really. Crowds are nice because they give you a degree of anonymity and allow you to remain passive. Plus you can have fun screwing with people if you don't know anyone and the event isn't important.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 6:24 pm

I hate crowds. I take longer indirect routes at my school to avoid places people tend to socialize. I get very anxious when I have to walk through a crowded store (so I shop at odd times). I have no real solution other than avoidance.

However I am ok with small groups. Such as meeting 3ish people for a meal, or 6ish people to play board games, or my 5ish people Sunday School class. This is one reason I attend a relatively small church. I consider church to be important (and several people there know I have AS so I can avoid hugs, or if I need to escape to a quiet place), but big churches and big group/class sizes are hard for me.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 7:55 pm

Yes, I definitely avoid crowds. I go to lunch at one instead of noon to beat the crowds. I go shopping early in the morning on days likely not to have too many shoppers. And Friday on my way home from work, I had a truck behind me. I pulled off the road to let him by because I don't like anybody around me, though I'm sure he meant me no harm. I like being far removed from the crowds.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 7:55 pm

Quote:
... To me, groups are like the 4 horsemen of the apocalypses...

^
YES.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 7:59 pm

I avoid rowdy crowds, but I'm not bothered by passing through a group of people. As long as I don't have to worry about stumbling or being knocked over.

joejoe1298
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Nov 2013, 2:22 am

It depends. If there are a lot of people around, in a mall for an example, and I do not feel like I have to socialize with the people around me, I can feel calm and not nervous. If there is a group of people coming my direction, I can feel nervous just by looking at them because I feel like I have more pressure that a social interaction can occur between me and someone else. I never really think about why I am nervous by certain crowds, or why I am not nervous in other crowds. I just get a feeling of being nervous at the time. I tend to try to avoid being in crowded situations sometimes, though.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 11:34 am

I guess with me, it is either being part of a crowd (gathering) or seeing a group of teens coming towards you on a sidewalk or such.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 1:10 pm

I do get nervous of walking past a crowd of people standing, especially if they are teenagers. I always get self-conscious, and feel like they are all watching me walk by and noticing every little thing about me. Thinking about this turns my ordinary walk into a stiff walk, and then I give off odd signals I don't normally give off when walking, and then I kind of expect them to shout out stupid things at me and show me up like I'm some sort of freak. I then get jealous of confident people who wouldn't get noticed by teenagers at all and who get left alone.

I know a lot of people who dislike walking past teenagers, but I get extra self-conscious about it.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 1:26 pm

I don't mind being in a crowd. I'm usually passing through on some mission or other, so I play a complicated private game in which I predict (from the individual movements of people in that area) where a space will appear, so that I can walk straight into a little 'calm zone', and while I'm walking into that brief and temporary space, I am already on the look out for the next one, and so on.

On a good day, I can get from one side of a crowded town centre to the other at a speed that would be reasonable if the town centre were completely empty of people, entirely by stepping into successive suddenly-appearing spaces, which then disappear as I am in the processing of entering the next suddenly-appearing space, and so on.

But if I get stuck in a dense crowd, I get very irritable. All those stupid people, milling back and forth!

My ideal relationship to a crowd is as an observer, perched in a coffee-shop window with an agreeable companion, making personal remarks and judgements about passing individuals that attract our amused attention.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Nov 2013, 3:09 pm

I get very socially anxious in crowds. I feel weird in crowds(weird is the only way I could describe it because it's hard to explain), and sometimes I'm even afraid that people are noticing me.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:45 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I do get nervous of walking past a crowd of people standing, especially if they are teenagers. I always get self-conscious, and feel like they are all watching me walk by and noticing every little thing about me. Thinking about this turns my ordinary walk into a stiff walk, and then I give off odd signals I don't normally give off when walking, and then I kind of expect them to shout out stupid things at me and show me up like I'm some sort of freak. I then get jealous of confident people who wouldn't get noticed by teenagers at all and who get left alone.

I know a lot of people who dislike walking past teenagers, but I get extra self-conscious about it.

Me too! :D Do people tell you you have a stick up your butt?

SpiderJeruz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2013, 5:51 am

no. I'm living in the boonies but I'm a city slicker at heart having lived in the city my whole life prior to this year. I sashay thru a crowd with the swagger of an overpimp. Not just any pimp. A pimp that pimps pimps. Nikkka

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

Fear of Crowds= Ochlophobia

Oh yeah. One time I went to NYC 8O That is my hell.

Fortran77
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jan 2014, 2:14 am

I actually like being in large crowds, like at the mall, because it is anonymous and nobody expects anything from you. I can basically just blend in, drink a cup of coffee and relax.