Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

js03
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Feb 2007, 5:18 pm

Is this a common ASD problem? We are working on a diagnosis for my 7 yo son, the school mentioned ADHD and AS/PDD-NOS. I'm leaning towards the AS myself...

Anyway, he scored average on most subtests, but auditory processing was in the 19th percentile. I'm thinking that could either be a focus issue, or just that he isn't processing what he hears very well. That certainly explains why he doesn't answer sometimes. :?

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2007, 6:28 pm

My 8 yo has AP issues as well. He can't filter out background noises to be able to understand what people are saying to him. He also can't listen and do something at the same time (etc: watch TV and listen to instructions). He needs to have one focus.

I was at an AS lecture in October and Tony Atwood said that it takes as Aspie approximate 30-50 seconds to process what's being said them, and slightly longer to reply. He said that the average teacher asks a question or makes a comment every 3 mins so no wonder why they get so overwhelmed/overstimulated in school. ;)

Keeping that in mind, I try to remember to give my son longer to reply. It helps cut down on his frustration.

js03
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Feb 2007, 7:59 pm

Wow, 30-50 seconds! I'll keep that in mind. I wonder if that is part of the reason for shutting down at school, I imagine there is a lot of background noise along with the teacher talking... Thanks!

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2007, 8:03 pm

I have a lot of trouble with auditory processing, and when I'm on the phone I typically miss 30% of what's being said, and just say "uh huh" a lot to cover it up. I have trouble understanding people in person as well.

I've always thought I must have some degree of CAPD, as my hearing is excellent.

However, I am self-diagnosed, so take it with a grain of salt.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 12:49 am

My hearing itself is very good, but I really have a hard time figuring out what people are saying.

Hope4Alex
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Feb 2007, 11:21 am

Don't know but curious myself because my son mimics yours with the test scores.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:41 am

we were told that the tests for auditory processing disorder are not "normed" until a child is 8 years old~ now that our daughter is 8, we'll be setting up an appt with the local university who does the testing for free

js03
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2007, 7:31 am

Hmmm. Our local children's hospital doesn't do the testing anymore. Dunno why? After he turns 8, maybe we could look into that more...