Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Liblady
Raven
Raven

12 Nov 2013, 2:52 pm

US Aspies: I don't usually think of myself as being high in the sensitivity department, but every time the Big Brothers Big Sisters commercial with the high-pitched repetitive electronic music comes on TV I have to mute it or change channels -- it makes me want to attack the TV. Am I the only one or is that so-called music generally irritating to Aspies? Just curious.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 3:03 pm

I don't know about the BB/BS commercials, but the Humane Society commercials with all the abused, beat-up animals and the sappy messages make me so mad I have to leave the room.

I also have to mute the TV or leave the room during Tests of the Emergency Broadcast System, and cannot have any serious discussions indoors while the pressure cooker is doing its thing.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 3:16 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
I don't know about the BB/BS commercials, but the Humane Society commercials with all the abused, beat-up animals and the sappy messages make me so mad I have to leave the room.

Me too. I understand they are trying to raise action by invoking Bathos, but I can't even think logically when I see something so sad :cry:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 3:26 pm

I live in Canada but I get to see plenty of awful ads from across the border on cable. I haven't seen the BB/BS ads but those ASPCA ads are so awful I have to mute them or change the channel when they come on. When I was younger and often had to watch TV with at least one other person some of TV ads made me so uncomfortable I'd get up and leave and they'd wonder why. It's also difficult for me to have decent conversations with the TV on. That's a problem when I come home to visit my parents because I want to chat watch them but they watch a lot of movies on TV on the weekends and holidays that I'm down, and my dad is hard of hearing and he has speakers to amplify the sound, and he likes to watch old Westerns and other movies with people getting killed every two minutes. He often leaves it on when we're eating supper in the kitchen and Mom has to remind him to turn it off, especially if I can't touch anything on my plate because both my hands are over my ears.

Liblady
Raven
Raven

12 Nov 2013, 3:52 pm

I don't have anything against the Big Brothers org., but that music is horrible, almost tortue.

Car races on TV also used to drive me crazy and my Dad who watched them obsessively always had them turned up loud, so there was nowhere to esccape the sound. Particular voices, usually male, sometimes bother me too and I don't quite understand why, like on CarTalk or ESPN.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 1:27 pm

I haven't heard that ad but some types of music do that to me. Be-bop style jazz, like Charlie Parker, makes me want to start throwing furniture after a few seconds. Unfortunately, it's one of my husband's favorite genres. Also, I can listen to a harpsichord for about 5 minutes, then it starts doing something unpleasant to my brain. I think a lot of staccato coming at me all at once is part of it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 1:55 am

Asperger96 wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:

Me too. I understand they are trying to raise action by invoking Bathos, but I can't even think logically when I see something so sad :cry:

That's the same with me. Those images make me want to cry. :cry:

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 9:46 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Asperger96 wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:

That's the same with me. Those images make me want to cry. :cry:

The thing I hate about those commercials is how little of your gift goes to animals rather than ceos.

Liblady
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2013, 3:51 pm

If you direct you donations to your local shelter, it will get to the animals and that's where it is most needed to save lives. I've volunteered for an SPCA chapter in the past and try to give what support I can to the local humane associations now. If you don't have money, there's always a need for volunteers to work at the shelters, foster animals, and work outside adoption events and fundraisers. I don't generally donate to the national orgs, but I do add a dollar to my bill when I go to PetSmart for PetSmart charities, because I understand those help fund the in-store adoption centers and therefore help generate adoptions and ease the the financial burden for the local humane societies.