Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 3:31 pm

My school didn’t have a prom.

kjeezy0127
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2020, 8:11 pm

I went, I enjoyed the prom. My mom set me up on a date with one of her friends' daughters.
My date was very clingy and we just didn't have great chemistry.

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2020, 10:28 pm

Didn't make sense to me to go to prom and spend all that money if you didn't already have a serious girlfriend. Plus I was self-aware enough to know if I asked a girl and she said no, I would have been a total wreck for months, so I didn't ask anyone so I could avoid rejection.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 2:12 pm

No, because my mum couldn't afford to buy me a lovely dress that I'd only probably wear once, and I didn't like wearing dresses anyway. I know I could have gone for something else but I knew that girls get a bit competitive with what they wear at proms, and I didn't want to feel like a plain jane while all the other girls turn up in beautiful dresses and have all their hair done and makeup perfect.

Another reason why I didn't bother going to the prom is because I was going through tough times, like my parents getting a divorce and my so-called friends bullying me. There was one or two nicer girls that I was sort of friends with who were going, but I still didn't feel up to it. Back then I suffered shyness terribly so I knew I wouldn't enjoy it.

In the UK it isn't socially vital to have a date for the prom like it is in the US. More people didn't have a date than those that did (according to all the prom photos I saw in the yearbook), but it was socially vital to go with all your friends, not be a shy, nervous, unpopular loner like I was.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 2:23 pm

Hell no.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 2:35 pm

We didn't have proms, but if we did have one I would not want to go and I would be trying to find ways of avoiding going.
If I had no choice, I would do all I can to avoid dressing up, and I would just want to sit on my own in a corner when I got there!

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 10:37 am

I did go (even though I almost backed out), and I can't say I regretted it because I think I would have regretted it more had I not gone and missed out on a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I mainly went for the experience though aside from the fact I went with a couple good friends, I didn't have a lot of fun. I'm not really into dancing but the meal they served was pretty good.

My Tumblr

greenmm37
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2020, 10:49 am

I'm of the party that happily never went - it would not have been an enjoyable experience for me as loud noise, lots of bumping bodies, etc. would have stressed me out (and all of that for $80+ IIRC). I only ever would have gone for the food and if there wouldn't have been an option to sit in the dining room/area all night, all that much worse. I was a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding, which was not even a large wedding, and still spent most of the reception (after the meal) sitting outside alone because I felt much better that way.

Edit: Also, I'm the sort of person at social gatherings to cling to the 1-2 people I know and am comfortable with, which always makes for a bad time. Esp. at prom, if I had gone with my friend(s) they would have certainly wanted to talk to more of the ~800 people there (if not in the 1000s, my graduating class was 550, so adding underclassman guests and combining the 2 upperclassman classes...eesh). Yeah, again, just a recipe for a bad night (Not paying money to not enjoy myself :| )

baseball movies
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2020, 3:35 am

I almost considered going, and I even had dreams of asking this girl I liked, but before I could, our friendship feel apart and she cut me off for pretty much no reason, which made me really sad and dejected. By the time prom came around I didn't even think of going. And honestly, I don't regret it. I don't think I would have had much fun, it just would have been awkward. I did go to one homecoming dance and it wasn't very fun.

- Nemo Nobody

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 7:56 am

Graduated high school 2001

Did not go to prom

No date

Didn't want to wear a dress

Socially awkward

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2020, 6:17 pm

I didn't go. My "date" canceled on me at the last minute and I didn't really have a backup plan. I think we were just going as friends, but then she got back together with her boyfriend (who she had previously promised to go with). I just kind of shrugged it off. It was less for me to worry about anyway.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2020, 1:47 pm

Yes, but I went my myself because I didn't have someone to go with.

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2020, 4:15 pm

It was such an awful time for me. Senior prom, senior week. I had some friends/acquaintances who all went. I couldn't get a date. No one ever asked me to go before senior year, either. I didn't have a date to the eighth grade party or the sixth grade dance. And I was a cute girl. I had a Bat Mitzvah. I worked hard to prepare for it, and there were kids I knew who had far fancier parties than I had. Mine was a tasteful luncheon. Some kids had black-tie bashes and got ridiculously expensive gifts. One girl came to my party and didn't bring a gift at all. So wrong. I think my favorite gift from that occasion was the drugstore eyeshadow palette a friend of mine gave me. I got some jewelry but that only made me look "expensive" at school, and my school wasn't all upper-middle class.

I went with my mother to my college physical when everyone else was busy enjoying the senior trip. The doctor told me I was ten pounds overweight, too! That made it an even worse week. I had an eating disorder, but I thought I looked ok.

The night of the prom, my father said, "just go have an ice cream sundae and get it over with." I know my parents felt terrible for me. But, life goes on. I went to two college semi-formals, and really, it's just a night out. Dinner and dancing. Don't let the pictures and glamorous poses fool you. Some teens get raped on prom night. That's not cool. It's a hyped-up thing, and unfortunately I read one too many issues of Seventeen magazine beginning in junior high school. So when it was my turn, and I couldn't get dressed up, I was sad.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 4:59 pm

My parents were so excited that my sister was going to the prom that they never noticed I had stayed home until I surprised them by coming downstairs for a snack about an hour later.  Then the interrogation started.  When I tried to explain to dad why I wasn't going, he became upset, and made me stay up until my sister got home so he could verify with her that:

• Tickets cost $75 per person (this was in 1975 money).
• All 200 tickets had been sold weeks in advance.
• No one got in without a ticket.
• A tux rented for $200, plus $100 for non-refundable deposit.

When she got home, she verified all that, as well as the fact that 27 out of 30 women I had asked turned me down, while the other three women laughed in my face (she had commiserated with me, but could not fix me up with a date).  Dad didn't know whether to be more angry with all the women who turned me down, or with me for being a loser.  He did, however, tell me that I was going to the prom the following year, whether I liked it or not.

I graduated high school a couple of months later, and moved out permanently the following week.

Well, that's the sad story of something that happened to me 45 years ago last spring.  Which reminds me that I did not go to our 45th class reunion or participate in the on-line reunion this last weekend, either.  It also reminds me that I forgot to set the trash out by the curb this morning.

It really bothers me about the trash.

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 11:55 am

I did. More than twice.

I wouldn't go then. I was more or less forced to go.
Everyone was excited about it -- got my mom, my cousins, my aunt to pool the whole thing for it ... Except me. I just wanna play PC all day.

Because then I'm flat out disinterested to even try and meet anyone.

I'd either walk around outside near the venue until my high heels breaks (all high heels I've worn do), or just fall asleep on some corner, wait for food or some mandatory attendance time, and then leave. :lol:

Didn't even bothered with the raffle prizes I won.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Nov 2020, 3:29 am

I never had any desire to go to any school dance or go to any other school event things like sports games & such so I never went to any & I never regreted it. When I wasn't at school I wanted & kinda needed to be relaxing & winding down at home watching TV or playing video-games while listening to music. I might would of gone to things if I woulda been in a relationship with a girl who wanted to go but I had little interest in romantic relationships then & about the only way any girl woulda went out with me is if it was a pity thing.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition