Page 6 of 8 [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 6:23 am

This is what I'm currently working on: a Fox and Geese board! It's my most ambitious board yet. I've just started painting the geese....

The back of the board is another game, called Surakarta. (I nicked the pieces from a Backgammon set, but I'd like to make my own for it.)

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 4:04 pm

Going to give paper craft, a go! making designs out of paper. Anyone tried it before? if so how did you find it?

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 5:45 pm

Anyone tried kirigami?

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 9:14 am

I've tried assembling some simple paper model kits before, but I just lack the necessary precision not to make a complete mess of them. Kirigami is impressive stuff- if you do have a go at it, I'd love to see the results!

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 7:24 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
This is what I'm currently working on: a Fox and Geese board! It's my most ambitious board yet. I've just started painting the geese....

The back of the board is another game, called Surakarta. (I nicked the pieces from a Backgammon set, but I'd like to make my own for it.)

Very impressive! :heart: What did you make the ducks out of ... wood, modelling clay?

I’ve taken a break from modelling, trains & gaming machines, and am focusing on sewing for a bit. Just now, have completed this large size polar bear, and ball(the ball was much fiddlier than the bear to make) Still have a medium-sized and smaller size left to complete the set for a display, along with some extras as gifts.

Last edited by Juliette on 06 Dec 2020, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 7:29 pm

sorrowfairiewhisper wrote:
Anyone tried kirigami?

I’ve enjoyed kirigami, and also enjoy making buildings/architecture for a train layout from paper/card.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 7:44 pm

Juliette wrote:
Anyone tried kirigami?

I’ve enjoyed kirigami, and also enjoy making buildings/architecture for a train layout from paper/card.

Ah nice, going to give kirigami a go, how long have you been doing it? i've seen some tutorials online.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 8:27 pm

Off and on for about five years now. You don’t really need much ... just a large self healing mat(I find myself using different sized mats for different crafts(they’re essential for quilting and handy for train/wagon & architecture modelling so very handy). Besides the mat, a good quality X-acto style knife(best to choose quality over budget) and it’s nice to have a set, as you do need a quality knife. A metal ruler is handy(though not essential), along with some good card stock. I love it, but it does take alot of patience. Definitely worth it though! A lovely art, good for card making and for display.

Some examples ...

Hope you enjoy it :).

I’ve finished a wall hanging, almost completed a Christmas quilt, and have started on the 2nd polar bear tonight ...

I usually use mohair(from goats) in bear making, but these call for synthetic fur(I bought about 2 metres from Ebay along with a 2kg bag of wadding). It’s really come in handy! I machine sew the body parts, then handstich the openings. I’d usually use cotter pin joints for bears, but these only require handsewing legs, ears & tail onto the body. A proper bear-making brush and wooden stuffing tool helps, but a chopstick will do for stuffing.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 10:18 pm

Thank you for the tips! Love the pics! You’re very talented and creative! That’s impressive! I haven’t got the patience for sewing but it’s a good skill to have, like what you’ve done with the quilting too

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 4:04 am

Juliette wrote:
Besides the mat, a good quality X-acto style knife(best to choose quality over budget) and it’s nice to have a set, as you do need a quality knife.

So very, very true.
Also get one that is comfortable to hold.
Several manufacturers offer several different sizes and styles of handles.

Handles style matters bigtime for me who is left-handed.
The classic X-Acto number 1 and number 2 handles had the blade always coming loose because of the way the blade holder threads turn.
:? :x
Eventually found some number 1 sized handles from Excel which had a moderately padded grip and a very different way of securing the blade.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 9:19 am

Juliette wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:

Very impressive! :heart: What did you make the ducks out of ... wood, modelling clay?

I’ve taken a break from modelling, trains & gaming machines, and am focusing on sewing for a bit. Just now, have completed this large size polar bear, and ball(the ball was much fiddlier than the bear to make) Still have a medium-sized and smaller size left to complete the set for a display, along with some extras as gifts.

That is a superb bear! He's got this slightly angular shape to him, like a real polar bear. Also, I imagine doing the final seam on the ball was a right pain.

The geese are air-dry clay- they're simple enough for even me to make... They're now most of the way through painting. Foxes next!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 9:51 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
The geese are air-dry clay- they're simple enough for even me to make... They're now most of the way through painting. Foxes next!

Shaping up nicely.
Air dry clay is a really useful thing.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 12:54 pm

Thank you for the tips! Love the pics! You’re very talented and creative! That’s impressive! I haven’t got the patience for sewing but it’s a good skill to have, like what you’ve done with the quilting too

Thanks sorrow ... that’s very kind. I don’t think I’d cope very well at all without being able to create and lose myself in something. Very therapeutic! X

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 12:58 pm

Juliette wrote:
Off and on for about five years now. You don’t really need much ... just a large self healing mat(I find myself using different sized mats for different crafts(they’re essential for quilting and handy for train/wagon & architecture modelling so very handy). Besides the mat, a good quality X-acto style knife(best to choose quality over budget) and it’s nice to have a set, as you do need a quality knife. A metal ruler is handy(though not essential), along with some good card stock. I love it, but it does take alot of patience. Definitely worth it though! A lovely art, good for card making and for display.

Some examples ...

Hope you enjoy it :).

I’ve finished a wall hanging, almost completed a Christmas quilt, and have started on the 2nd polar bear tonight ...

I usually use mohair(from goats) in bear making, but these call for synthetic fur(I bought about 2 metres from Ebay along with a 2kg bag of wadding). It’s really come in handy! I machine sew the body parts, then handstich the openings. I’d usually use cotter pin joints for bears, but these only require handsewing legs, ears & tail onto the body. A proper bear-making brush and wooden stuffing tool helps, but a chopstick will do for stuffing.

That reminds me a bit about how one does "Forced perspective" with model railway scenery to make ones backscenes and buildings etc look like they are more distant then they are.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 1:00 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Juliette wrote:
Besides the mat, a good quality X-acto style knife(best to choose quality over budget) and it’s nice to have a set, as you do need a quality knife.

So very, very true.
Also get one that is comfortable to hold.
Several manufacturers offer several different sizes and styles of handles.

Handles style matters bigtime for me who is left-handed.
The classic X-Acto number 1 and number 2 handles had the blade always coming loose because of the way the blade holder threads turn.
:? :x
Eventually found some number 1 sized handles from Excel which had a moderately padded grip and a very different way of securing the blade.

Glad you were able to find some number 1s from Excel that made things less frustrating. I know just what you mean! Would love to see your work, but only if you feel comfortable sharing.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 1:04 pm

Yes. Those knives do unscrew themselves. I have noticed that!