Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 2:23 am

Been driving for about 12 years now and love it. Would never drive into a big city or anything and I live in the countryside so it makes things easy, I do drive into my local town which is quite a nightmare but it took a number of years to build up the courage

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 5:22 am

I can drive, but it was some effort learning it. The theory was no prob, the technical practice as well not, but the driving itself was horrible. I even had a nervous breakdown right beneath my driving teacher, because it simply exhausted me so much. Luckily I am bad at physical stuff, but not totally hopeless, so after lots of practicing, I simply got a feeling for the care related stuff, and so could focus more on the traffic itself.

A am a pretty lame driver, but beside a small parking damage, I have not caused any accidents myself until now, and I drive to work everyday and need as well to visit for work different building sites. Capital cities was at the beginning a horror as well, until I learned to become a similar as*hole to the typical car drivers there. People dont let you change the lane, if they see you blinking, they dont give a f**k about it. You simply need to be an ass, an after a certain time to be sure, that the driver mentioned it, you simply need to change the lane. Idiotic system, but thats how they do it and want it. -.-

I have driven about 600.000 km until now, but nothing of that will change, that I hate driving by car, and avoid it privately as much as I can. Its not relaxing in any way for me, and I always need to focus on it and do pauses if I drive for longer distances.

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2013, 6:43 am

I drive. It was difficult learning and I failed my first driving test because I did not come to a full stop (so the instructor said)... I just wanted the exam to end and I may have been rushing. :D
I live in a major US city and drive all the time. But I stay to the side roads mainly. Also I drive to work in the early morning and I get off work before crush hour.
The heightened sensory awareness actually helps me while driving because I relax my mind and am able to see all the cars at once and process what each one is doing on both sides of the road. That has allowed me to avoid accidents because I see the driver patterns and understand what each one is doing or about to do - like cut off another car in front of me. It is actually kinda like a big mind puzzle (full immersion).

The only problem I have with driving is when there are no other cars on the road. Because my eyes are always on the lookout for light or colors I find myself looking at the houses, stores with lights on, seeing what is in windows... you get the idea.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2013, 9:28 am

I'm absolutely awful at driving. I got my license this summer, but I don't really think I deserve it.

I run into a lot of problems. If I'm focusing on one thing, there's always something else happening that I'm unaware of cause I'm focused on one thing. I've also got a bad habit of daydreaming, which I try my hardest to stop, but it's persistent; when I do this, I'll do stuff like forget to do the turn signal.

Imagine having my multitasking issues with being terrified of driving altogether. When my mom or dad makes me practice, I get so freaking nervous, and when I'm on the road, it's not any better.

This is a big reason I would love to be in a big city like NYC. There's taxis everywhere, and you can just walk if you don't wanna take one of those.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 7:38 pm

I'm scared of driving because of my attention problems...

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 11:04 am

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I hate driving and I can't WAIT for driverless cars. I am a nervous wreck while driving. I do not want other people to speak to me when I am driving. I find it way too distracting. I am thinking about too many things at once while I drive. If I have to go on the Turnpike or something I actually have a panic attack. Please, let's get this driverless car thing on the road!

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2013, 11:09 am

I think I'm an awesome driver, though my wife would disagree :)

Driving is very much about abstract shape and form, and that's something that suits me quite well.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:26 pm

I have always heard that I do not drive because I am"lazy." [family members] I have often wondered how walking several miles in cold weather to reach a destination , or taking 3 buses to get somewhere makes me lazy.

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2013, 12:16 am

I love to drive. Once I learned how to I had to be the one to drive everywhere; I have to be in control of the car. I don't trust others' driving for the most part.

bearsandsyrup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2013, 1:20 am

I'm a good driver and feel very comfortable and coordinated while driving. My main issue is that I get overwhelmed by headlights at night, especially when the road is a bit wet, so the light reflects off of it. I end up with this crazy anxiety where I'm almost panicking and feel like I'm going to suddenly plunge off of the roadway and it feels like I can't see anything but the lights. I just have to breathe through it and hold the wheel steady until the glare passes.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2013, 1:40 am

bearsandsyrup wrote:
I'm a good driver and feel very comfortable and coordinated while driving. My main issue is that I get overwhelmed by headlights at night, especially when the road is a bit wet, so the light reflects off of it. I end up with this crazy anxiety where I'm almost panicking and feel like I'm going to suddenly plunge off of the roadway and it feels like I can't see anything but the lights. I just have to breathe through it and hold the wheel steady until the glare passes.

I suffer the same issue. But the highway I have to drive is basically dead straight for a whole hour. Oncoming headlights in a straight line all the way to the horizon!! ! If i get trapped and have to drive at night I am a wreck by the time I get to where I am going. Absolutely miserable. It's not just oncoming headlights, its headlights coming up behind you, its the sun setting and either being right in your eyes or in your mirrors glaring away. Sooo hard to concentrate.

Which is why I get our trip started in the morning so i can be on the highway heading back home while there is still light, hopefully before rush hour.

I can handle the highway on glare ice, the blowing snow, the stupid drivers etc. I just stress out if I have to do it after dark.

My anxiety goes into overdrive, my heart rate and blood pressure spike. I cannot see far enough ahead for my liking to anticipate the road condition, locate large animals (Moose/deer/elk/bison/bears/wolves/coyotes) Even though I know EVERY bump, turn off, ice prone patch the whole way both ways.....

I loath undivided highway at night!! ! NOPE!
:ncool: :shaking: