Finding things funny that other people don't

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 10:45 am

I don't know if this is an aspergers or ASD thing or not.
Some people have told me that it is, and others have said that it isn't; so i don't know.

Here is an example:

Yesterday an elderly neighbour of mine was very distressed because whilst she was sat in her reclining arm-chair her cat (an oversized fat cat) had gone to sleep under the foot rest part.
When the lady wanted to get out of the chair she pushed the button to bring her to a seated position & the cat got trapped inside the electric armchair. The cat was making an awful noise. The old lady was in a terrible panic hearing her cat going mad to try & get out of the armchair.
Thankfully it did get out in the end.
When the old lady told me I just couldn't stop grinning. She wasn't amused.

Maybe everyone would find this incident amusing, but I grin the same when someone tells me that someone has died. I do actually find it funny. Not in an evil way, but amusing none-the-less. I wish I could stop myself from grinning from ear to ear, as people get very annoyed when they tell me something serious & I grin like a cheshire cat.

Does anyone else here have the same problem?

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 10:58 am

StarCity wrote:
Some people have told me that it is, and others have said that it isn't; so i don't know.

Here is an example:

Yesterday an elderly neighbour of mine was very distressed because whilst she was sat in her reclining arm-chair her cat (an oversized fat cat) had gone to sleep under the foot rest part.
When the lady wanted to get out of the chair she pushed the button to bring her to a seated position & the cat got trapped inside the electric armchair. The cat was making an awful noise. The old lady was in a terrible panic hearing her cat going mad to try & get out of the armchair.

Maybe everyone would find this incident amusing, but I grin the same when someone tells me that someone has died. I do actually find it funny. Not in an evil way, but amusing none-the-less. I wish I could stop myself from grinning from ear to ear, as people get very annoyed when they tell me something serious & I grin like a cheshire cat.

I understand you can't help what you find funny. But I also hope you understand what you find funny is in very poor taste. So, I would hope you would be able to conceal your amusement at the misfortune of others. It might help at those moments if you think about how you would like it if others laughed at your misfortunes.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 12:04 pm

When I was in seventh grade a teacher who was very proud of himself conducted a science experiment that blew up (hydrogen and oxygen). It put pieces of lab glassware into the ceiling tiles. No one was hurt, but the expression on his face was priceless. I laughed so hard I suspect he thought I was somehow responsible.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 12:14 pm

I don't think I would have found the cat incident funny but plenty of times I find things are funny that other people don't and sometimes I get a weird look because of it. It goes the other way also I don't find things funny that have others laughing hard.

I do think it is a least partly ASD an NT differences

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2013, 12:45 pm

That cat incident sounds downright hilarious to me! And I love my kitties dearly. In general people seem to take things much more seriously than I do. I find amusement in so many things each day that other people don't notice or have straight faces about. Don't let others make you feel bad for finding things funny. There is no greater joy in this world than laughter, and I firmly believe that there is no situation too "sacred" that it can't be joked about. Without humor, life is not worth living.

Of course, not everyone agrees with this, so you have to conceal your laughter until they leave the room or you are with like-minded folks. But you can still laugh on the inside. :)

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 12:53 pm

I laugh when people tell me about terrible things that happened.
The worse it is, the harder I laugh.

...In my defense, I'm only that way because laughing is preferable to crying.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 2:38 pm

StarCity wrote:
Here is an example:

I find that story to be horrifying and not at all funny.

I read a story online once where a person was in a recliner and didn't know that a kitten was under there and when they got up and the chair shut the kitten was killed. That cat could have been injured or killed.

Sometimes I find things funny that other people don't and the other way around. I don't always find things funny when other people do.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 2:49 pm

Although I would never wish any harm on a cat or most animals, I found that funny too!

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 2:53 pm

Lol, youtube is full with those kind of vids, so no, you're not the only one, by far.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 2:55 pm

StarCity wrote:

Here is an example:

I think if that had happened to me & Pancho - I would have been upset while it was happening, but once he got out and I realized he was ok - thereafter when I told the story, I would have been telling it as a funny story to begin with. It's funny! If the cat had been hurt, totally different story.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 3:01 pm

the point isn't that the trapped cat screaming it's head off in fear is funny or not funny to some people

the point is that the old lady telling the story was clearly upset by what happened and therefore however funny the listener might have found what happened, it would seem like they were making fun of the old lady's suffering.

Making fun of other people suffering (or animals even) is one of the signs of those kinds of disorders that end up with a person locked up for the safety of others.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 3:09 pm

Hi leafplant!

Don't lock me up, please! Actually I think that's a little dramatic. If I had locked myself up someplace and gotten myself frightened, I probably would have told it as a funny story later. Everything isn't a tragedy and it certainly doesn't mean that we all long to see or hear any animal or person suffer.

But yes it's true that the woman was upset and it's not good to let her see you think that's funny.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 3:09 pm

leafplant wrote:
Making fun of other people suffering (or animals even) is one of the signs of those kinds of disorders that end up with a person locked up for the safety of others.

So that means shows like Tom & Jerry are for psychopaths?

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 3:14 pm

smudge wrote:
leafplant wrote:

So that means shows like Tom & Jerry are for psychopaths?

Excellent point! We are given shows like that as children, and then expected not to behave that way towards anyone. It can be very confusing for literal-minded people. My mother always hated that I watched that show and said it was horrible and violent. I think it just prepares you for the life in the world of NTs but you have to know where the invisible line lies - i.e. you have to understand the metaphor and also how not to take it too far.

You can't tell me that out there anyone would openly side with the OP on this issue?

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 3:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I don't think I would have found the cat incident funny but plenty of times I find things are funny that other people don't and sometimes I get a weird look because of it. It goes the other way also I don't find things funny that have others laughing hard.

I do think it is a least partly ASD an NT differences

Yep this is how I am. There will be a group of people watching something on TV for example and laughing at it and I will not find it funny, yet I'll be laughing at the bit no-one else is.

pleasekillme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2013, 5:27 pm

Isn't this cat story just an example of laughing and smiling when it's inappropriate?

I remember once our kitchen table sort of kind of caught on fire and I was dying laughing. I've found myself grinning like a maniac when an old friend told me his dad almost died. Recently, another friend told me about cracking his skull open as a baby, and I had to try to stop myself from smiling. It's not that I find any of these things to be funny (except maybe the kitchen table, but nobody else was laughing), I just seem to have inappropriate actions sometimes.