Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 6:01 pm

And communication in the real world.

Is your posting style the same as, or similar to, your communication style in the real world or are they different.

Ie are you more outgoing in text than in person, do you talk more or less in text than in person, do you speak differently in text than in person, do you deal with arguments in the same way in person as you do online etc.

Personally I will argue back on the internet but in the real world I will tend to flee if there is any sign of conflict. I am generally scared or upset by angry people despite the fact that I can often appear angry during one of my upsets (I am more upset than angry though and I won't usually attack people even if I am vocally noisy and hit myself on the head).

Also, I am somewhat more chatty online and so appear more extroverted than I actually am.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm

I'm pretty much exactly the way I am here, except in real life I might say more than I do here, or add more detail.

PikachuDenkiNezumi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Nov 2013, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Personally I will argue back on the internet but in the real world I will tend to flee if there is any sign of conflict. I am generally scared or upset by angry people despite the fact that I can often appear angry during one of my upsets (I am more upset than angry though and I won't usually attack people even if I am vocally noisy and hit myself on the head).

Also, I am somewhat more chatty online and so appear more extroverted than I actually am.

This pretty much describes it for me.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 6:32 pm

My manner of speech is probably a bit more formal on paper (so to speak) than it is aloud orally, but only a little.

I certainly can ramble on and bloviate considerably in front of relative strangers here, which I would do in person only with people I knew well. :oops:

I think I joke less in writing than in person, because things that would be obvious humor in the room might seem cruel, rude, or offensive in some other way without the real world context and vocal inflection. :?

Strangely, for the same reason I think I'm less likely to argue online than in person, however when I do, I certainly feel my arguments are better thought out and coherent when I write them down. I don't process fast enough in real time to construct a solid case.

But arguments from other people seem much more like personal attacks when I can't see or hear them, so I really don't like arguing online. Too much anxiety involved. In person it can remain much more friendly and intellectual.

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2013, 6:51 pm

I think I tend to be shorter and more succinct in text, but otherwise my communication tends to be similar. Some forms of writing do lend themselves to a more formal style than speech. However, that probably doesn't tend to apply to online posts.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 7:03 pm

I'm chattier online than off. I need more time to formulate responses sometimes, so I tend to mostly smile and nod in person.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 7:13 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
I'm chattier online than off. I need more time to formulate responses sometimes, so I tend to mostly smile and nod in person.

I use the smile and nod technique often. People seem to tell me their troubles a lot, especially old people and men who are drunk.

It's odd. I do not know why! I do not know what to say to them so I just nod, smile, say I know what you mean once in a while (even if I don't because I have heard others say it) and carry on listening. Sometimes I agree with them sometimes I don't say much at all or ask them questions so that they do most of the talking.

Online I get bullied a lot. In real life I only get bullied by other females in my age group. Other girls have never liked me much. Boys used to be much kinder.

SG78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2013, 7:23 pm

I'm definitely different online. More chatty, more detailed in how I communicate, probably even more friendly.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Nov 2013, 7:40 pm

My writing is more straightforward and direct, although I can be just as blunt offline. A big difference is that I tend to be very tangential or circumstantial in my speech (as in the clinical definitions). Information is not organized in my brain as words (nor can I think in words - I have no "inner voice" or "inner monologue"), but as images and other sensory impressions, so I have to find ways to translate them into words in order to type them out or speak. With typing I tend to stop when I start to sidetrack, and I can see what I have already written to stay on course (but I still get sidetracked). When I speak I don't have any cues to keep me going, so whatever I am trying to talk about brings up associations and I talk about those, and it continues to spiral out of control until someone stops me or I realize what I am doing. If I do realize I may or may not be able to find my way back to where I started to continue my original point.

I also have issues with trauma and confrontation, such that angry people tend to trigger me and make it extremely difficult to be around or interact with them, even if they are not angry with me. This makes it even harder to communicate clearly face to face.

In speech I also rely heavily on scripts, memorized quotes from books, movies, television, things I have seen/heard others say, or things I have written out already. As such, novel topics can shut me down completely, or I end up on autopilot which may mean I will agree with something without understanding what I agreed with or to (and may very well disagree once I understand it).

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 8:23 pm

I'm very different in person vs online. I'm very reserved and quiet in person. If anyone watches My Little Pony, I'm just like Fluttershy when around people. :lol: I'm much more outgoing, confident and articulate trough text. I sometimes really wish I could be the same in person as I am online.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Last edited by jetbuilder on 19 Nov 2013, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 8:31 pm

In terms of tone, my posting style probably isn't too far off from how I speak. That said, it's usually easier for me to express myself in text than in speech, and writing lets me contemplate what I'm going to say.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 8:58 pm

i am smarter on the internet.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 9:13 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
i am smarter on the internet.

I am too because I can take my time and look things up and reword things and remember something.

I'm also much prettier when you are drunk. ;-)

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Nov 2013, 9:54 pm

I'm chattier on the internet than I am in person. Also, my writing tends to be longer than my speech.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 10:15 pm

Pretty much them same i think, more or at least.

Well i dont speak english so there's that, since im Danish.

Might be a bit more chatty on the internet. Have more time to think about what to say. Waiting 5 min to reply in real life gets a tad akward.

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2013, 11:15 pm

I speak/write formally both online and offline, but online I have the time to formulate a more wordy response. In person I am pretty quiet. The only other big difference is that my humor is not properly conveyed online. In real life I can be very sarcastic, witty, with a deadpan kind of humor. I also laugh a lot while talking, I find many things very amusing. These things just don't translate well online, so I come off as sounding much more serious than I am.