Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2013, 11:15 pm

I speak/write formally both online and offline, but online I have the time to formulate a more wordy response. In person I am pretty quiet. The only other big difference is that my humor is not properly conveyed online. In real life I can be very sarcastic, witty, with a deadpan kind of humor. I also laugh a lot while talking, I find many things very amusing. These things just don't translate well online, so I come off as sounding much more serious than I am.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 11:39 pm

In the "real world" I don't talk to people unless necessary and keep interactions as brief as possible.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 9:47 am

bumble wrote:
Is your posting style the same as, or similar to, your communication style in the real world or are they different.

Depends on environment.

And your q should be 2 q's, pertaining to style and also content.

My style is pretty consistent across the internet and is an idealised form of what my rl comms would be like if i had better rl control.

Content is entirely context specific - I'm surprised how "safe" I feel here, and content tends to reflect this.

SirReality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Nov 2013, 11:51 am

I'm much more chatty online, but I think I'm more tactful as well seeing that I have time to think about my response.

In face-to-face interaction, I stumble over my words a lot and sound like I have speech impediment when I'm just really anxious or have a hard time herding my thoughts together to form a coherent sentence.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 12:21 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
I'm chattier online than off. I need more time to formulate responses sometimes, so I tend to mostly smile and nod in person.

Yep, me too. And if I do respond to something, I do so probably five minutes late, after the conversation has already changed to something else. Because I'm been thinking about it, rather then listening to the conversation.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 1:11 pm

Pretty much the same.

I even talk off the top of my head online, and dont like to repost giant walls of text from sources like some folks do. I treat it like a face-to-face conversation. My old computer cant seem to do links and reposting of things anyway.

Actually IRL you get interrupted fifty times a minute. Online you can finnish a point. Thats the main difference.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2013, 4:29 pm

I'm pretty blunt online, but one of the most common adjectives to describe me by people who know me in person is "sweet." I'm pretty non-"talkative" in both, though.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 4:46 pm

I am much more outgoing online.
Translating image or sensation or information, though image and sensation are information, from brain into writing is a lot easier than translating it into verbal speech, because a white textbox is very different from a human's face and unpredictable circumstances.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Last edited by Eloa on 19 Nov 2013, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 4:49 pm

Way more verbose online. I will often avoid topics, even ones I find quite interesting, in person, because I will have a hard time explaining everything I mean. That and people get offended by ideas a lot it seems, so I will try to avoid sketchy conversations irl. Even some of my really close friends I'll avoid voicing my real opinion, or otherwise try and be as absolutely non-aggressive about it as possible, about many things if I know they hold a different opinion than my own. There's a small handful of people I won't do that with, mainly my husband and some family member's (not in-laws though).
I'm generally not all that talkative in person. I think I'm far more pleasant in person, but generally just more closed. My internet self is closer to the 'real' me.

Poor motivation

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 12:22 am

I'm much less articulate and eloquent in real life than I am online. I have palilalia, echolalia's cousin, which causes me to repeat parts of sentences that I've already spoken. Sometimes it takes a very long time for me to be able to finish my sentences. Oddly enough I also tend to retype sentences too, so posts can take me anywhere between 10 minutes to half an hour to type and then edit.

So basically I give the illusion of being articulate and eloquent online because I have time to edit my posts.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 12:34 am

I am more formal written than in life. I come across much younger in life sometimes than I do here.

Wreck It Ralph

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 3:49 am

The way I write is pretty different from the way I talk. Since I'm not necessarily as "on the spot" when I type as I am when I speak, I try to make my non-verbal messages as precise as possible. I'm also slightly more open to discuss what's on my mind when I'm not having a face-to-face conversation with someone else.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 8:05 am

My writing is a little more formal than my speech, but not much. Irl, I'm really chatty sometimes, and really quiet sometimes. Online, I still vary, but not by as much because it's only my mood affecting it and not external things. I don't like to argue in either place, I've seen enough arguing for a lifetime. Online, I can discuss emotional things that are too hard for me to talk about irl. I've also become more blunt and precise with words because I've spent so much time on Autism forums. That's starting to leak into real life now. :lol:

RemiBeaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2014, 8:42 am

I can be more playful in real life conversations and i make more jokes.
I might be as silent in real life as i am online.
But i'm not so silent anymore when i know someone well and like him/her.

Afam-dfw
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2014, 11:16 pm

SG78 wrote:
I'm definitely different online. More chatty, more detailed in how I communicate, probably even more friendly.

Same here. However, the online communities where I communicate are oriented towards subjects where the amount of detail and precision is appreciated rather than a TMI situation.

My online communities are also more accepting of my interests since they share them. Even there, I usually only post when I have something to say rather than pure chit-chat.