Anyone else feel like most other students are idiots?

Page 5 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 10:00 am

Oddly enough, the students in my classes this semester [the last semester of Grade 12] aren't really that different than the ones in my first semester of Grade 9. :scratch: :scratch:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 12:44 am

Outrider wrote:
At 14 i thought many of the things my classmates did were immature, and now at nearly 18 I look back and, yeah, what do you know, i was RIGHT, those ARE things that are immature.

So yeah, at 14 I thought I was superior to my classmates in maturity, aside from the arrogance. Now at 18 I look back at how they were, and I look at the 14 year olds right now, and yep, I was right back then.

i used to perceive myself as much more mature than my classmates when i was 14, and i suppose i actually was. i thought i would be at least, just as successful as them and maybe more. then they very quickly ans suddenly left childish attitudes behind, and left me in the dust.

it's good for them, though i wonder when i'll start moving.

my girlfriend is 16 and so she reminds me of the time when i was not so much in the shadows.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2016, 9:22 am

^I strongly relate to this, and it pisses me off so much.

At 14 my classmates were immature a55høles and I wanted vengeance. I wanted them to suffer.

But I didn't want to do it myself.

I wanted them to suffer in that once they'd go out into the 'real-world' they'd realize just how bad it is and thus struggle.

Most 13-15 year old boys and girls can be arrogant, whiny, rude little sh•ts who you just want to whack in the head but know you can't, so you patiently wait until the one's that are still immature by adulthood end up realizing how harsh and brutal the real-world can be.

This wish for revenge however never becomes a reality, because it seems by senior year their maturity quickly accelerates to the point by graduation time they are perfectly ready mentally for university and joining the workforce.

Thus there are plenty of N.T.'s who spent their high school days thriving on their social success.

So many N.T.'s who never realize high school is one of the easiest times of your life, the real-world is so much more cruel, we take the environment and such for granted, our teachers aren't mean and out to get us, but we were little brats, our whining and complaining about how 'hard' school is and how 'hard' our lives are was all wrong.

Because by graduation they simply enter another world that still shelters them from the 'real-world', and that is university.

I wanted the immature 14 year olds to realize just how easy they have it and how hard the 'real world' is but instead they never learnt their lesson because they were ready by the time it came.

I'd just love to see how actual 13-15 year olds would react if they were instantly thrown into and exposed to the real-world rather than the better prepared 17-19 year olds of this world.

Of course everyone after high school can find it quite a hard time, but it's the 13-15 year olds that truly need to learn life is cruel.

Anyway, I may sound quite negative and resentful in this post, but that's because I truly am.

I can not stand most teenagers and I am one, and can't help but feel that intense annoyance and hatred at the fact my classmates in senior year actually finally reached my equals in terms of maturity and many even managed to surpass me. :evil:

It may seem petty, yes, but that's just how I am.

This is one of the reasons I no longer believe in 'karma'.

I believe karma is an excuse for irresponsibility of handling your problems or stopping a bully or threat of some kind.

Karma is based on the belief something bad will happen to people so you do nothing yourself. This is not always the case.

Imagine a rude, selfish, greedy bully. Every person who has ever been a victim of him has just ignored him or believed 'karma' will do the job. Even the one's brave enough to stand up to him choose not to, because 'karma' will stop him someday.

But as an adult, he's still rude, selfish, greedy and a bully. And no one chooses to stand-up to him. Why? Because they believe 'karma' will stop him someday.

Karma is an excuse to remain inactive rather than pro-active in getting vengeance on those who have done you wrong.

Anyway, to ensure the younger students at my old high school would learn how cruel life and some people can be, I was as cruel and aggressive towards them as possible.

I wasn't intentionally a bully and never harmed anyone on purpose, nor would I ever want to. I completely minded my own business.

Just if anyone ever gave me trouble first, I'd respond harshly to get them to back down, no B.S.

If I could confirm any younger students were intentionally trying to annoy or hurt me, straight-off-the-bat I'd give them a polite warning of 'f*ck off!'. And that was when I'm being nice.

*Deep breath*

I really need to relax and not get so worked up... :|

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2016, 9:38 am

^I don't think that's how Karma works. Karma is based on the Universal Law of Attraction--that is, what you give comes back to you [or in other words, you reap what you sow].

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2016, 7:29 pm

Well I have met some people who also interpret karma as 'people who treat the world and others badly will one day get their karma/comeuppance' - a silly belief at that.

And 'people who do good in the world, even if they suffer hardship, will one day see the light through the darkness.'

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 1:28 am

Outrider wrote:
If I could confirm any younger students were intentionally trying to annoy or hurt me, straight-off-the-bat I'd give them a polite warning of 'f*ck off!'. And that was when I'm being nice.

*Deep breath*

I really need to relax and not get so worked up... :|

you certainly sound like you could use a breather. :) that's alright though.

i also recall wanting to see how the younger ones would cope, should they be thrust into some unforgiving situation. something grueling and unforgiving, like horror stories teachers tell you when you're not doing so well.

but i don't think their parents would like that.

i imagine after flopping around a bit and looking for somewhere to be, they'd adjust themselves. it looks like parents are pushing their kids to join in (organized) volunteer and community activities earlier and earlier (or maybe not), that helps them.

i did not build my personality around a perceived superiority to my peers, so when it felt like that had "caught up" i actually felt somewhat relieved. they actually started to do their own work and no longer come begging to me for answers and the like. :lol: and i felt less like the weird kid.

i wonder, outrider, where would you draw the line between the "real world" and not? what differentiates between "sheltered" vs. "exposed"?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Rundownshoe14
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2016, 12:40 pm

Well at least in this moment most of my class is very immature,the only person I know that's mature like me is my cousin and he lives far away.
I also respond harshly when threatened,so people in my school have learned to leave me alone for the most part.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 1:10 am

^ that's good. :idea:

when i wasn't left alone, i was picked on because of my inaction.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 8:18 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

you certainly sound like you could use a breather. :) that's alright though.

Yeah, my very aggressive post before was just that suppressed desire for a sort of, 'revenge', if you see fit, for just how awfully behaved to me, other students and other teachers that some classmates can be.

The 'horror stories' or even warnings teachers and adults tend to give to young teenagers about the 'real world' tend to fail as by the time the teen has reached that age, even if they may suffer some stress and struggle, they seem very prepared for it.

Rude, mean bullies don't 'learn their lesson', so to speak, because they maturity accelerates so there is no lesson to learn.

Maybe I just don't see it properly. Maybe the classmates attending uni right now, making new friends, new relationships, having successful jobs, not being overwhelmed and enjoying their study, and living in a nice apartment with their best friends, don't always have it as good as it seems.

Of course they might have money problems, they might be stressed from the study, they might have to live on 2 minute noodles :lol: , their second-hand car may keep breaking down, they may struggle to pay for their studies and/or even not have a job or can't find one.

But, at the very least, most of my classmates from high school still all have strong friendships they've kept after high school, so they have that vast support network there for them.

This is completely true.

I live in a small city of 160,000 and, annoyingly, I see at least one person from high school (though it's usually 3) every time I leave the house.

Some of them are at work or going about solo, but most of them are hanging out in pairs or groups and otherwise being social.

I kept none of my friends after high school and they aren't interested in speaking to me anymore even after contacting them. Some of them I understand I might have been too distant in the last few weeks of school, but other's I don't understand.

I don't know.

I just rarely meet other people who 'struggle'. By struggle I mean have depression, or anxiety, and end up failing socially, academically, etc. all the time.

I was aggressive in high school, I'll admit, but also that 'if you're nice to me, I can be one of the most loyal, greatest friends' types and if I felt I was wronged, the absolute opposite. Perhaps my moods were too inconsistent for me to be trustworthy. I've always been told, even since primary/elementary school, my moods are 'inconsistent'.

I know of 3 dropouts from last year, one of them in fact a good friend who I've been talking to online since she moved across the country (had to as she was kicked out of home). She wants to visit and eventually live back here again, but is struggling to. Struggling to find work and get the money, she did lose a few friends after she left and they ignored her messages too so she lashed out in aggression, and otherwise in 2016 she's still not studying again and has to put her future on-hold due to all this. The other dropout handled it just fine and seems not to care at all.

The third has a job, plenty of strong and good friendships, and on his way to a better future.

Another guy had chronic fatigue and depression, but was in the popular kids crowd so at the very least he has that large support network that even after high school should still remain. He graduated.

Same thing with another girl with depression, plenty of good strong friendships there for her still. Also graduated.

Even my ex-girlfriend, 19 who had learning difficulties and suffered various trauma and abuse, is taking a course in retail and probably soon get a job in it after. She had depression, anxiety, etc.

Me? Unemployed aside from retail volunteering, currently no interest in university as I don't know what i want to do yet, an electronic musician, and close to getting onto the disability pension. All I have to my name is a high school graduation certificate, and my 4 friends, none of which live in the same city as me anymore. :(

See, I've never met any of my senior year classmates as unsuccessful atm as I am.

Yes i consider even the dropouts more successful as at least they have what I've always wanted and struggled to get - friends and happy relationships. :(

"i wonder, outrider, where would you draw the line between the "real world" and not? what differentiates between "sheltered" vs. "exposed"?"

Teens and young people are 'aware' of the horrors of the 'real-world', e.g. teens know there are bad people in this world, they know there's criminals, drug dealers, etc.

Most of them know adult life is harder than your teen years (hopefully...it seems most assume young adult = money = fun = party).

But it's one thing to be aware of the 'real-world' and to actually experience it.

I've probably learnt more in my 6 months since graduation about the 'real world' than I ever did in my 12 years of schooling.

It's just the little things. Applying for housing, buying and maintaining a car, license, bills, dealing with social security/centrelink, taxes, dealing with the banks, getting a job and resumes, university-life and studies, etc.

You don't actually learn any of this in school.

Some teens obviously deal with cars, jobs and bank accounts and such at 16 or so, but that's usually only the basics.

I know of 15 year old popular kids who thrive in high school and suspect being a young adult just means partying hard and having fun, when it's actually more like living in a dark, cold cheap apartment, living on 2-minute noodles, struggling to make friends/social life, stressfully juggling time between job and study, paying off massive debt, in some cases depression, anxiety and insomnia, etc. all the while paying rent to a sketchy landlord and staying in a bad apartment block known for its drug dealings at night so you've got to be home before sundown if you want to avoid trouble.

There's also how once you hit 18 the laws change and there are no 'free-passes'. Any sort of crime or inappropriate behavior, even if just false charges are put against you, and you're in all kinds of trouble.

How no one, barely even your parents, will care about you anymore because once you're an adult still living at home and all that is considered socially unacceptable.

Certainly not a 'party' life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 8:25 pm

Why can't you get a spot at University, and just progress towards your degree while deciding what you want to do.

I doubt it that many 17-18 year old people "know what they want to do." They just go to University, and then decide on a career.

Just do it, my friend. It's much better than stewing about it.

MaizeFlower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2016, 8:32 pm

No, not at all. Students are not idiots for being pushed into a class, with a subject matter they probably are not interested in, and not interacting by texting instead of answering questions or giving blank stares. It just means the teacher has failed to engage their interest or they just refuse to participate. If you categorize intellect by class participation, you are equivalent to a fool who equivocates animal intelligence to obeying. It is narrow and not correct.

Plot Twist: Those you feel are dumb are probably feeling the same way towards everyone else around them. It is a common human mental defect to think this way.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 1:16 am

Outrider wrote:
I live in a small city of 160,000 and, annoyingly, I see at least one person from high school (though it's usually 3) every time I leave the house.

Some of them are at work or going about solo, but most of them are hanging out in pairs or groups and otherwise being social.

I kept none of my friends after high school and they aren't interested in speaking to me anymore even after contacting them. Some of them I understand I might have been too distant in the last few weeks of school, but other's I don't understand.

I don't know.

i live in an incorporated area of about 90,000. i thought that was a "small city". must have different ideas of small, or city. maybe both.

have you lived in a bigger city? (just wondering).

it's smaller than yours, but i usually see at most, two HS people on routine outings. i would have thought that smaller cities would mean more chances of encounters. maybe it's the population density, or a different rate of people moving away, but i guess more people here just stay indoors. looking at snapchat. that's something i can believe.

i still only have regular contact with one person from HS...my girlfriend who i didn't get close to until the last two months before graduating.

there's one other person i don't talk to often but i am friendly with, the brother of a female friend i used to be close to in my sophomore/junior years, but sort of drifted. but when we encounter, we are friendly.

same with another person who (pretends?) to be friendly when we encounter face to face but respinds to no messages i send. i stopped trying.

Outrider wrote:
Me? Unemployed aside from retail volunteering, currently no interest in university as I don't know what i want to do yet, an electronic musician, and close to getting onto the disability pension. All I have to my name is a high school graduation certificate, and my 4 friends, none of which live in the same city as me anymore. :(

but i thought that was your plan? i remember you said you avoided going to a university after high school because you didn't think it was time to make that decision/investment at your stake in life, and you would do volunteer work.

maybe i am recalling wrong.

being an electronic musician sounds cool. do you "put yourself out there"?

Outrider wrote:
It's just the little things. Applying for housing, buying and maintaining a car, license, bills, dealing with social security/centrelink, taxes, dealing with the banks, getting a job and resumes, university-life and studies, etc.

You don't actually learn any of this in school.

if there's one thing cool about my HS, is is that they are (trying) to teach skills like that in the regular curriculum.

long ways to go, i imagine.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 3:17 am

I often feel that almost all the other people in my grade are 'idiots'. I get along very well with my teachers (probably better than with most students). Some people in my grade just don't try at all; others do try, but seem to be generally unintelligent (in my opinion). I was kept down a grade in preschool, because of my inability to make friends (and yet my parents still don't want to consider that I may have ASD), but in primary school my teachers wanted me to skip at least two grades. My parents didn't let me (once again concerned about my social skills), so I did not really participate in regular class in grades 6 and 7, instead working out of senior school textbooks and teaching myself.

Despite being a year or so older than most people in my grade, I am socially behind most of my grade. However, I am much more mature in personality generally. I am currently in grade 11. School is way too easy for me and constantly boring. I behave for my teachers, and because I don't want to break rules, but am unmotivated most of the time due to easy and boring work.

Advice, anybody? I don't know what to do.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 10:15 am

"No, not at all. Students are not idiots for being pushed into a class, with a subject matter they probably are not interested in, and not interacting by texting instead of answering questions or giving blank stares. It just means the teacher has failed to engage their interest or they just refuse to participate. If you categorize intellect by class participation, you are equivalent to a fool who equivocates animal intelligence to obeying. It is narrow and not correct."

Oh don't worry, by all means this ain't me.

I equate immaturity and unintelligence with the types who clearly commit massive amounts of delinquent behavior frequently with no concern for the consequences for their behavior, treat all adults disrespectfully, and boast of behaviors they do outside of school such as massive partying and noise disruption to the point police dogs are sent out (yes, this actually happened), comitting mass amounts of public destruction, vandalism, substance abuse, assault, underage drinking and underage, unprotected acts of sex.

"Plot Twist: Those you feel are dumb are probably feeling the same way towards everyone else around them. It is a common human mental defect to think this way."

I'm aware enough to know that. Do I care? Not at all.

"Advice, anybody? I don't know what to do."

You've just got to deal with it unfortunately. Hang in there, I know how it feels.

I'd like to optimistically say 'just 1.5 more years', but people don't even mature much into the young adult years.

Uni students aren't all that much older than high-schoolers - 18-21, so don't expect too much of people to magically change in these years.

Hope for the best but expect the worst, I say.

People do get better though, slowly, overtime.

People are at least better at uni than they are in 11th grade and senior year.

I may have never been to uni but I'm reaching young adulthood and spend more time around adults now than children (teens).

And trust me on this one - if you feel you are more mature in personality, you probably are.

This doesn't necessarily make you arrogant, and even if it did, arrogance is better than delinquent behavior (violence, vandalism, etc.)

Some arrogant person who keeps it to themselves is far morally better than someone who actively harms others on purpose.

Like I said earlier in the thread, when I was 14 I may have arrogantly believed I was more mature than everyone else at school, but looking back at almost age 18, sure, I wasn't right as much as I thought I was, but I was still pretty damn mature for my age and I'm not going to deny that.

I am not arrogant, I am confident. Lack of humility is not necessarily a sign of a superiority complex.

And before anyone pulls the 'me thinks the man doth protest too much' card - you should know by now just how verbose, expressive and over-dramatic in my writing I can be.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 5:35 pm

Outrider wrote:
I'd like to optimistically say 'just 1.5 more years', but people don't even mature much into the young adult years.Uni students aren't all that much older than high-schoolers - 18-21, so don't expect too much of people to magically change in these years.Hope for the best but expect the worst, I say.

That's unfortunate, but thank you for the advice. I would not say that I am confident; rather I am unconfident in the extreme. I try to be honest and truthful as much as possible (including about what I think), which I think may sometimes be perceived as arrogance.

Also, you could probably use the quotation tool when posting quotations from other people (as it improves clarity), but just a suggestion.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 8:06 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I do just find the quotation tool frustrating to use.

It's not so much the tool itself but quoting more than one person is when it gets confusing for me.

And do keep in mind I am just a cynic with something of a glum view of the world. :lol:

I actually had good experiences in high school, it's just the fact once out of high school no one's interested in speaking to me anymore. I also didn't build strong connections with the people I wanted to (maybe our personalities were incompatible) and also realized just how much I didn't like any of them.

I found my classmates did significantly mature into year 12, however I started y12 at a new school and every school is different. It may have been a better school. But I felt one among equals at that point rather than mature, but socially awkward and delayed.

"I try to be honest and truthful as much as possible (including about what I think), which I think may sometimes be perceived as arrogance."

That sounds like confidence to me. :)

Believing in yourself and what you say? Being outspoken and not afraid to speak your mind?

I can have very controversial and politically incorrect things to say but am not afraid to express myself, but also keep quiet in inappropriate situations.

Trust me, it's confidence, not arrogance. Arrogance is believing you are always right or superior to others. Confidence is strongly believing what you say is true for your life but accepting others may disagree.

"i live in an incorporated area of about 90,000. i thought that was a "small city". must have different ideas of small, or city. maybe both."

Whoops. I meant to say 110,000, so not much of a difference. :mrgreen:

I now live in an even smaller place - a small coastal city of 50,000.

"have you lived in a bigger city? (just wondering)."

Yes. Not the last place, but the one before was a slightly larger coastal city of 150,000. I saw others i know sometimes, but it was definitely far less often.

"it's smaller than yours, but i usually see at most, two HS people on routine outings. i would have thought that smaller cities would mean more chances of encounters. maybe it's the population density, or a different rate of people moving away, but i guess more people here just stay indoors. looking at snapchat. that's something i can believe."

But I said that's the same here. 1-4 people on every time I left the house, no matter how infrequent it was. Average of 2 people.

To be fair, it was the CBD and the local shopping centre (which is in the same neighborhood my old high school was in aka our schools had 'zoning' meaning only people from the same neighborhood as the school could attend) but it was still annoying to me. It was nice to catch-up with a few old people but I could only feel jealous most of the time seeing people I knew at cafes having nice social outings together.

"i still only have regular contact with one person from HS...my girlfriend who i didn't get close to until the last two months before graduating."

This was the same situation with me except it was the last week before school I asked this girl out. She dumped me and we didn't last all that long, probably of my own doing. :(

I thought I was going to keep in contact with other people but they betrayed me.

"there's one other person"

Same here. A female friend who used to go to high school with me, but dropped out and moved halfway across the country to be with her sister due to being kicked out of home. We talk on-again, off-again (it's pretty much up to her, I'd be fine with talking all the time).

Well, I'm very suprised. YOU? Of all people, only have a few people left in your social life as well?

I don't mean that as an insult.

Just that from what you said in past posts, it sounded to me like you have/had a decent amount of good friends and female friends and a social life built for yourself. Did you simply lose interest in maintaining contact with them, or did they turn around and stop contacting you?

At least I'm not alone here, though I'm jealous at least some people who lost most people after high school still have their boyfriends and girlfriends.

I am a hopeless romantic who strongly wants love. I just want a social life in general, good friends nearby (instead of the 3 I used to live nearby but either I or they moved, we still talk online and hang out in real life very rarely) or a girlfriend...

"maybe i am recalling wrong."

You are correct, but I still feel left out/a failure I'm not going yet and others are. It's a depression thing. I chose my path in life I am doing right now and happy to be doing it - volunteering, and spending my free time just enjoying life and also learning new skills from my mother or such.

It's just the whole seeing my former high school 'friends' all at uni building a better future for themselves and all having fun and in the sun and...ugh...f*ck those f*ckers. Everyone but me, it seems.

I'm lonely. Very lonely. I'm living my life as happy as possible without friends and a girlfriend, but it's very hard.

I guess living in a new place means a fresh start, atm i have no way to meet others. I'll volunteer again soon but am not right now as i just got here.

"being an electronic musician sounds cool. do you "put yourself out there"?"

I wish. Not even have much of my stuff on youtube (at least publicly, i use the setting where only those with the link can see it. Terrible prolonged musician's block that hasn't fixed yet even after I've moved. Either depression or I'm just lacking in inspiration or both, it's been nearly 2 months.

Problem is i am a perfectionist who spends a very long time to complete just one song, so if i dedicate myself to a new project, it best be the real deal, otherwise ill just end up with hundreds and thousands of unfinished stuff. Most electronic producers seem to do this and i do too, but try not to let it stop me from making a genuine project.

The more talented ive gotten the worse it's become. Last year i completed 3 full songs and started my fourth, this year in 6 months i completed my fourth and 5th. I dont see myself completing two songs in the next 6 months.

My 5th song is the only one I'm satisfied enough with to have it 'mastered', which means giving it a professional sound.

Mastering is expensive and before it is done it's best for the music to sound as complete and good quality as possible.

My song is 'finished' but until I get some studio monitors (professional speakers and not commercial cr*p that makes the music sound better) i dont want to send it away until i can hear what it sounds like on them and not just old rubbish computer speakers. The studio monitors are supposed to be 'budget' ones but still quite costly, especially if I order it overseas.

The place in my country that sells it is $500 + P&H, on Amazon $130 and 'free' P&H (for U.S. only, so it will cost money) but I can't figure out how much shipping would cost.

So either I spend $500 or $130 but unknown how much for shipping.

"long ways to go, i imagine."

Lucky. You mustn't be from the U.S. or Australia then, as the education systems of both is awful. I assume you're Canadian. There's always so polite and friendly, eh? :wink: