Anyone else feel like most other students are idiots?

Page 6 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 6:46 pm

Outrider wrote:
Believing in yourself and what you say? Being outspoken and not afraid to speak your mind?
Outrider wrote:
That sounds like confidence to me.

The thing is, I very much lack confidence; however, if I do speak, I will not lie. I find it difficult to understand why people do lie. To speak is to transfer ideas, so why transmit information which is not true to people? Most of the time I don't speak. Nobody would call me outspoken. If I don't agree, I often stay quiet.

When I say something which I think is the truth - as in 'I am more mature in personality than most of my grade.' - I often don't register that it may seem arrogant (implying that I am in some way superior to most of my grade). I think that NT realise these things before they say things, and withhold their communication if it seems too arrogant etc.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 5:33 am

"The thing is, I very much lack confidence; however, if I do speak, I will not lie. I find it difficult to understand why people do lie. To speak is to transfer ideas, so why transmit information which is not true to people?"

Oh, I see then. I was just arguing though honesty is a form of confidence, as confidence is believing in yourself and lacking in (or denying) fear. You are not afraid to tell the truth.

"Most of the time I don't speak. Nobody would call me outspoken. If I don't agree, I often stay quiet."

I'm often quiet, but not shy. Quiet simply out of choice. But when intensely interested in debate, I get passionate.

So I can relate with that.

"When I say something which I think is the truth - as in 'I am more mature in personality than most of my grade.' - I often don't register that it may seem arrogant (implying that I am in some way superior to most of my grade). I think that NT realise these things before they say things, and withhold their communication if it seems too arrogant etc."

Oh. Right. Well, yes, that will come across as arrogant and, by my definition, is what I would consider 'arrogance'.

But that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I said earlier and still stand by this belief, that 'silent' arrogance in a teenager who keeps to themselves is much better than bullies or those who actively hurt others emotionally and physically.

Besides, some people who 'arrogantly' believe to be more mature than many of their classmates are sometimes correct, in that once they reach adulthood they look back and see, yeah, they were decently mature.

I hear of a lot of people say they look back at their teenage selves and say they realize just how 'immature' and wrong they were about the world at that age.

They speak entirely negatively of their teenage self as if their teenage self was never right about anything.

Well, while I accept i was wrong about a lot at age 14, there was also a lot I was actually spot-on about and showed maturity beyond my years at the time. I was 'arrogant', but also 'right' about at least a few things.

Just like even today I'm constantly bombarded with adults that the most common compliment I get is how 'wise' and 'mature' beyond my years I am.

I try to humbly think this is not so, but who knows? Maybe at 20 I'll look back at 17 year old me and think "yeah, I was right about a lot of things even then, but also now know what I was wrong about".

Maybe every teen thinks they are 'more mature' than everyone else in their own ways and this is determined by their personalities and beliefs.

I think from what you've said so far it sounds like you're leaning more towards the 'thinks they are more mature and will find out they really were' side of things than the 'thinks they were mature but will realize they were wrong' side.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 5:59 am

FandomConnection wrote:
I often feel that almost all the other people in my grade are 'idiots'. I get along very well with my teachers (probably better than with most students). Some people in my grade just don't try at all; others do try, but seem to be generally unintelligent (in my opinion). I was kept down a grade in preschool, because of my inability to make friends (and yet my parents still don't want to consider that I may have ASD), but in primary school my teachers wanted me to skip at least two grades. My parents didn't let me (once again concerned about my social skills), so I did not really participate in regular class in grades 6 and 7, instead working out of senior school textbooks and teaching myself.

Despite being a year or so older than most people in my grade, I am socially behind most of my grade. However, I am much more mature in personality generally. I am currently in grade 11. School is way too easy for me and constantly boring. I behave for my teachers, and because I don't want to break rules, but am unmotivated most of the time due to easy and boring work.

Advice, anybody? I don't know what to do.

I still think you ought to get confrontational with your parents. Really raise a stink. Ask them why they think holding you back will improve your social skills. What exactly do they expect you to gain from this? Is it working so far? You know that Einstein quote about doing the same thing and expecting different results? They seem to be in huge denial about something. Whether it's ASD or not is beside the point - they are clearly not reacting to what's happening in front of them.

I spend a lot of time around kids. What I've observed is that some of the more socially awkward kids get along better with kids who are older or younger. They get to try out different roles. Hanging around younger kids lets them experience responsibility and tolerance. The older kids might be more patient and explain more to a younger person.

If you were to skip grades you might still be a social outcast, considered a baby, but at least you might get a decent education. I am more and more leaning towards the idea that age groups is a counterproductive social construct. At your age, I'd focus on getting friends outside school anyway.

I doubt you can solve these issues without going into conflict. If they blame you for making trouble for them, just tell them there are teenagers who do so much worse. They know it's the truth.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 1:43 am

Quote:
This was the same situation with me except it was the last week before school I asked this girl out. She dumped me and we didn't last all that long, probably of my own doing. :(

I thought I was going to keep in contact with other people but they betrayed me.

was there was any kind of closure at all, or explanation as to why? right when everyone splits and goes out to pursue their own lives, it hurts extra to be left during that time. :|

i don't like to think i've been betrayed, per se, but their loves have become much too convoluted and confusing that they lack the energy to focus on anyone except their very closest friends, which i am not.

Quote:
Well, I'm very suprised. YOU? Of all people, only have a few people left in your social life as well?

I don't mean that as an insult.

Just that from what you said in past posts, it sounded to me like you have/had a decent amount of good friends and female friends and a social life built for yourself. Did you simply lose interest in maintaining contact with them, or did they turn around and stop contacting you?

sorry if you get confused...my definition of "friend" is wishy washy at best, sometimes i include people that i speak to on very friendly terms about...once a month, other times i don't include them in the "count".

those are past posts, keep in mind. stuff changes. i think i am getting more comfortable with the few i have, and it may sound like i have it made for myself, when the reality is that the actual number of people i talk to is the same.

plus, there might be days where i do get to speak and be friendly to an old friend, and following that i might call them my friend again on here.

but yeah, there's been quite a few that, as far as i'm concerned, have ceased to breathe air.

i'm a perfectionist too. my own experience with music making is limited to using a crappy korean freeware program back about 6,7 years ago, i'm more of a visual artist.

i had trouble making the amount of artwork required to pass my art class last year of high school (i can't even say just "last year" anynore!) because, as my art teacher remarked, i spend a lot of time on one little detailed thing, working it to perfection.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 3:47 am

"was there was any kind of closure at all, or explanation as to why? right when everyone splits and goes out to pursue their own lives, it hurts extra to be left during that time."

To be honest I was a little more distant during the last few weeks and left pretty much as soon as I could on graduation day (but there was the senior dance later on) but I wasn't that distant and still hung out with my 'school-friends'.

I wasn't invited to my small friend groups after party but a few others weren't either. The host wanted me to come but her mum said I couldn't and a few others because she didn't know me yet.

It was to be a very uptight event anyway. Her family were Christian's so no alcohol, male-female sleeping segregation on matresses in the garage, and no trying to defy these rules.

"F*ck that sh*t" I remember saying to myself in reflection on my 4th drink after I got home from the school dance.

Otherwise, I messaged my best female friend, the one I thought was a sort of guarantee regarding staying in my life - no contact. Then I pursued two other female acquaintances I wanted to start speaking again with online - NC.

Keep in mind more of my friends were female than male, but the males, nothing either.

I told this one guy I am open for hanging out while at school - NC.

Aside from a few distant male acquaintances contacting me out of the blue for some brief conversations and the one girl who dropped out and I started speaking to online? NC.

To add insult to injury it appears a few friends of friends I didn't even attempt to contact have blocked me.

I'm starting to think it's possible a very dark message I said a long time ago here might have been seen by someone and knew it was me, as at least two of my friends were aspies as well (but never spoke of knowing about WP).

I feel like it's a conspiracy. Maybe the second girl I started speaking to who messaged me back briefly told my former best female friend I was talking to her and my ex-best friend told the second friend what I said.

How can I ever know what the reason everyone suddenly lost interest was? Probably because I wasn't close enough with them to begin with, but this might not be it either because plenty of them spoke well of me when I was not around and they can't say I didn't show interest in getting to know them.

"sorry if you get confused...my definition of "friend" is wishy washy"

I see. Even my good friends I may only speak to rarely sometimes, as physical distance due to living away from them does that. But I've found contacting them again online shows nothing has changed regarding their thoughts of me.

I have "four" proper "friends". First is best friend, the other two a pair of brothers i met in high school in a different city before moving away again (hung with them all the time), and the girl online (who i met in real life first).

Meeting them in person is also in my criteria.

Are you referring to Vocaloid or Uatu?

I was never big on using vocals in my productions, but if I ever were to, it would probably be the vocals from a female friend or girlfriend if I had one as the genre I create typically has female vocals (and I prefer it that way myself).

It would be a good test of skill for me to record and mix the vocals into the song.

I'd love to one day maybe get into pop music production if just for the sake of producing more mainstream music that would get me more attention.

And, you are artistic in another way - visual art.

At least you could show your skills to others. That is a nice drawing btw and I did assume it's yours.

I can't help but feel jealous of singers or acoustic guitar types - I can't even DJ (yet) and even then getting DJ gigs is harder and DJs can't busk.

I've showed some of my friends my songs in the past though, but only over facebook to the youtube link and don't like doing the whole 'phone/MP3 player and earphones' thing (though I often forget those with musically untrained ears don't tend to recognize how low quality music sounds on these devices).

"i had trouble making the amount of artwork required to pass my art class last year"

Yeah i've heard art is a very time-consuming pursuit but music can be just as much so if you are a perfectionist.

I think what we both must learn is to differentiate 'commissioned' productions and 'personal' productions.

I hate the idea of it myself - making mediocre music just for the sake of completing it more quickly to fit a deadline, but if I want to study music I may just have to do it.

In my free-time when not doing this I can take my time on the masterpiece projects I actually give a damn about.

'Art' can be a job as well as a hobby, and they usually remain separate - most electronic music today for instance is quite low quality as the producers themselves just want to make money, but they also have tight deadlines to fit.

Those that say "The best job in the world is not a job, it's your hobby" and such are liars.

Even the funnest hobbies can become hard, stressful work and even make you hate the hobby eventually. :(

"i can't even say just "last year" anynore!"

Ah, that's gonna suck. I don't like it either. I can't say last year online as people may assume I'm in senior year NOW.

Sorry for another long post - I'm not trying to make them this long.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:06 pm

I don't really think most students are idiots, but what I notice all the time is that a teacher/professor will ask some question out loud to the class, and after 15 seconds, nobody ventured to make an answer, and finally I raise my hand and answer the question. After a while, I get tired of answering everything and then I just sit there waiting to see what happens. I'm taking a biology lab at college over the summer, and this happens every single day. I've noticed this behavior in middle school, high school, and in college. I don't know if it's that other students aren't confident in their abilities, or what.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 4:13 pm

saxgeek wrote:
I don't really think most students are idiots, but what I notice all the time is that a teacher/professor will ask some question out loud to the class, and after 15 seconds, nobody ventured to make an answer, and finally I raise my hand and answer the question. After a while, I get tired of answering everything and then I just sit there waiting to see what happens. I'm taking a biology lab at college over the summer, and this happens every single day. I've noticed this behavior in middle school, high school, and in college. I don't know if it's that other students aren't confident in their abilities, or what.

I answer almost every question in class, so much so as my English teacher considers us to be team-teaching. If she doesn't know something, she will ask me. Otherwise, she will ask my opinion if confronted with a difficult question. It makes me happy that we have this relationship. I also talk to her about literature outside of class. :D

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 4:14 pm

Also, what language is your signature? I enjoy programming, but only have access to VB.

LarHadCol
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jul 2016, 5:12 pm

It kind of gets boring and a bit lonely. Don't get me wrong there are some who get higher marks than me but they are boring because all they do is care about their grades. They spend everyday studying while I engage in my interests.

It irritates me how students in my set don't put their hands up after a teachers asks if help is needed. Then later on you overhear students getting their answers wrong because they didn't understand it fully.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 6:35 pm

LarHadCol wrote:
It kind of gets boring and a bit lonely. Don't get me wrong there are some who get higher marks than me but they are boring because all they do is care about their grades. They spend everyday studying while I engage in my interests.

It irritates me how students in my set don't put their hands up after a teachers asks if help is needed. Then later on you overhear students getting their answers wrong because they didn't understand it fully.

I understand and agree, though learning and school work is an interest of mine, so I might be one of your 'boring' people. I do not relate to most other students, so I am lonely too at school.

Rundownshoe14
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jul 2016, 8:29 am

saxgeek wrote:

This is me since elementary.
It's gotten better in middle school

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2016, 9:08 pm

I thought like that when I was younger. Now, my classmates speak of philosophy and politics on a high level. They outperform me at school. My IQ tests and SATs say I'm smarter than average, if not gifted, but I don't see it.

IMO intelligence is hard to quantify and I find I'm happier if I appreciate the judgement, reasoning, and talents of my peers rather than ranking them and looking down on them.

So, in conclusion, no, I do not classify any of my peers as "idiots". I try not to dislike, and everyone who I have met has their talents.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 5:18 am

CryingTears15 wrote:
I thought like that when I was younger. Now, my classmates speak of philosophy and politics on a high level. They outperform me at school. My IQ tests and SATs say I'm smarter than average, if not gifted, but I don't see it.

IMO intelligence is hard to quantify and I find I'm happier if I appreciate the judgement, reasoning, and talents of my peers rather than ranking them and looking down on them.

So, in conclusion, no, I do not classify any of my peers as "idiots". I try not to dislike, and everyone who I have met has their talents.

Have you never been completely bored in class because the work is much too easy? Have you never become annoyed because everybody else thinks so simply and takes so long to understand? This is the cause of most of my frustration.

I try to be patient, and I am not unkind to my peers. I help them with all subjects of school work, even those which I myself do not study. Yes, everybody does have talents, but I do become annoyed when I do not learn anything at school for several years because I already know everything that we are 'taught'. Can you understand my classification of most students as 'idiots'?

I am not angry, but I find it difficult to tell if my writing seems confrontational. Please don't think that I am trying to be mean to you. :D

rcsf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2016, 9:22 am

Yea, somethings happen in my school, like as most of the students get in a funny flow and dislike classes, frequently complain the teachers about to be so rigorous. They also seem to make funnies with themselves such as "stop to study, why are you so nerdy?" and other things like as laugh about to use intelligence, then I often avoid to interact with classmates, and the teachers seem to understand me as well too. As most of the time I write much more than speak/talk, and when teachers ask something I tend to most of the times don't answer anything as the opposite of them. With that, my classmates seem not to like me as much. They seem to be funny 'won't get knowledge so long more than some'. :nerdy:

rcsf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2016, 9:42 am

saxgeek wrote:

I think maybe it seems to them realize study as a hard thing to do and a lack in their selfconfidence to get in.

unobtrusive
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jul 2021, 9:28 am

yes. especially their humor. it almost seems as if they make noise to fill the empty space in the room. i cant breath because of their obnoxious and senseless humor and uncalculated sentence fragments