Psychedelics, Non-psychoactive Cannabinoids, and Autism

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 5:24 pm

CharityFunDay wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
I have found that low doses of lsd make my thoughts much clearer and I can socialize without anxiety

Oh, that's interesting -- and I'm certainly not in any position to gainsay your personal experience.

I had assumed that previous posts were referring to LSD ingestion within the usual dose-range associated with recreational use.

I've never experienced low-dose LSD, so can't comment. But I am curious. Is this a known and measured dosage you're describing, or is it judged by rule of thumb (say, an eighth of a tab)?

Quote:
the best way I can describe it is, its like life is a giant control panel and when you take lsd its like taking the cover off the panel and you can see where they wires go

Hmmm ... not sure that analogy really works unless the subject is assumed to have technical expertise in understanding that wiring to begin with :wink: -- most of us prefer to interact with the mechanism by adjusting the directly and readily operable feedback devices that are presented for convenience of us on the control-panel itself. But I can see a certain sort of parallel in what you're describing with my own perceptions of social contexts and interconnections under the influence of ecstasy.

Tell me, how did you discover this low-dose effect? By accident, experimentation, or was it something that was already understood in your particular corner of the LSD-using class?

I found out about it when I was hanging out with friends we split two tabs 4 ways, theres been a ton of research on lsd in the 60s, before the war on drugs lsd was considered a wonder drug for psychiatry. my favorite thing to do on lsd is just lay in bed in the dark and think. it was not till I took lsd that I accepted that I have aspergers. lsd seems to bring out the demons you bury deep inside yourself and forces you to confront them

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 5:46 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
Google "microdosing". There are several reports of this way of doing things on erowid.org.

Thanks for the tip -- I'll follow that up.

I suppose I have an instinctive reaction of incomprehension to the idea that microdosing could be desirable. With regard to substance (ab)use, I'm the kind of drinker who wouldn't bother with two pints at lunchtime, when I could spend the whole evening getting wrecked.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 5:56 pm

chris5000 wrote:
theres been a ton of research on lsd in the 60s, before the war on drugs lsd was considered a wonder drug for psychiatry. my favorite thing to do on lsd is just lay in bed in the dark and think. it was not till I took lsd that I accepted that I have aspergers. lsd seems to bring out the demons you bury deep inside yourself and forces you to confront them

Yes, that period of experimental application in psychiatry and psychoanalysis (which I read about in various out-of-date science books when I was a kid) was what attracted me to it as a tool for self-perception, analysis and development. I don't think I was disappointed in my subsequent research.

Like you, I came to recognise some hitherto-unexplored dimensions of my personality as a result of LSD use (in my case, understanding of my own bisexuality), although this was long before my AS diagnosis, which I approached through strictly logical methods (although the personal insight and associated thought processes I followed may not have been available had I not explored my mind with drugs 15 years previously -- who can say?).

I don't like the sound of lying in bed, tripping in the dark and battling one's personal demons though. I'm glad I pursued my LSD use in social settings, where my thought processes were kept active and applied to a range of conversational topics and personal observations. Your method sounds like a short-cut to madness, to me. But again, if it worked for you, then who am I to judge?

If it's not too personal a subject, what were the specific acid-induced realisations that led you to an understanding of your own autism?

(Like I say, tell me to keep my snout out if I'm being too nosy. But the subject of self-discovery through drug use seems to be in keeping with the thread topic).

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 10:17 pm

I haven't tried LSD, shrooms, or MDMA, so I can't comment there. Maybe someday...

But marijuana, whether typical high-THC and low CBD, or the special high-CBD strains, tends to make me less "autistic" in multiple ways, including being more aware of my surroundings, being more flexible and less obsessive, and having better self-awareness of my own actions and energy level.

However, I find high-CBD strains to be less "irritating" to the nerves. The biggest downside to weed for me has not been worse social skills, nor mental dulling, nor addiction. It was the tendency to make me feel "raw" and physically agitated. While some of this could be seen as too much awareness of the outside world, it was at least as much of a "body buzz" issue than anything to do with mood. Essentially, I had sensory issues that I don't normally have, although I suspect that another health problem besides AS had more to do with this than AS itself. It seems CBD has less of this "bad body buzz" than THC, which is not to say it has NO sensory effects, just less jarring ones.