Page 4 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 1:44 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Abortion may be wrong, depending on your opinion. Birth control is always right.

That is not a universally accepted fact. In fact most anti-abortion people are also anti-birth control.

Birth Control

In 1968, Pope Paul VI issued his landmark encyclical letter Humanae Vitae (Latin, "Human Life"), which reemphasized the Church’s constant teaching that it is always intrinsically wrong to use contraception to prevent new human beings from coming into existence.

Birth Control - Catholic Answers

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2013, 5:26 pm

Max000 wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:
A born baby will die too if taken from it's mother.

Try again. Because so far your logic is failing.

Many babies are taken away from their mothers for all kinds of reasons, and they don't die. Sometimes the mother dies during child birth, and the baby survives.

If simply taken from the mother, yes they will die. I don't see people taking unborn babies and caring for them. An abortion is more like taking the born baby and just dropping it somewhere or shooting it than taking a baby and putting it in a place where it will be cared for.
Max000 wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:
Because many of them believe in a small government and want the government to stay out of people's personal lives.

Unbelievable.ImageImageImageThere is absolutely nothing more personal then a woman's right to choose, what to do with her own body. You can't get anymore personal then that.

Make up your mind. Do you want the government out of people's personal lives or not? If you do, then keep the government out of peoples personal lives in all instances, including out of their reproductive freedom. Because if you don't want to keep the government out of something that personal, then all your talk about small government and wanting to keep the government out of people's personal lives, is just a bunch of bull crap. You just want the government out of people's personal lives, when you want it out, and in to peoples personal lives when you want it in.

Your type of illogical and irrational argument, literally makes every braincell in my head hurt.

And this is the problem. You assume that you're right and that everyone agrees with you that an unborn baby is part of a woman. You're refusing to acknowledge the actual stance of people who disagree with you. Sure, maybe they're wrong, but that doesn't mean you can make stuff up about their beliefs and then blast them for it. They view abortion as simply murder, thus it is not an uncalled for invasion of personal space to restrict it.

And for the record, I do believe the government should have something in place for mothers to deal with unwanted children.
Max000 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Abortion may be wrong, depending on your opinion. Birth control is always right.

That is not a universally accepted fact. In fact most anti-abortion people are also anti-birth control.

Birth Control

In 1968, Pope Paul VI issued his landmark encyclical letter Humanae Vitae (Latin, "Human Life"), which reemphasized the Church’s constant teaching that it is always intrinsically wrong to use contraception to prevent new human beings from coming into existence.

Birth Control - Catholic Answers

I agree, it's problematic to oppose any form of birth control as well as abortion.
Are you sure most anti-abortion people are Catholic? Even so, what makes them all agree with the church's official stance? According to a survey I could not relocate, 78% of Catholics opposed the church's stance on contraception and a majority of Catholics (only 3% less than the nonreligious) in America support contraception coverage in employer health care plans (http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... o6KcOI1_4Y).

Mamselle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2013, 7:54 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:
And this is the problem. You assume that you're right and that everyone agrees with you that an unborn baby is part of a woman. You're refusing to acknowledge the actual stance of people who disagree with you. Sure, maybe they're wrong, but that doesn't mean you can make stuff up about their beliefs and then blast them for it. They view abortion as simply murder, thus it is not an uncalled for invasion of personal space to restrict it.

Anyone who believes abortion is murder is free to never have one. The choice is with the woman who is pregnant and no one else.

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2013, 7:56 pm

Mamselle wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:

Anyone who believes abortion is murder is free to never have one. The choice is with the woman who is pregnant and no one else.

So if someone believes murder is acceptable, they're free to do that? Of course someone who believes abortion is murder is going to try to prevent it. It would be ridiculous not to.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 8:06 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:

1. I'm not refusing to acknowledge any such thing.

2. You are refusing to acknowledge that you don't really want a smaller government or a government that stays out of peoples personal lives. You want a government so big and so massive that it can control every single little thing in people's personal lives, right down to their reproductive systems.

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2013, 8:58 pm

Max000 wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:

1. I'm not refusing to acknowledge any such thing.

2. You are refusing to acknowledge that you don't really want a smaller government or a government that stays out of peoples personal lives. You want a government so big and so massive that it can control every single little thing in people's personal lives, right down to their reproductive systems.

It seems as if you refuse to acknowledge that pro-life people believe abortion is murder of a separate person when you just keep asserting the fact that a woman has the right to do as she pleases with her own body. You would agree that people should be denied the right to kill others, and from the pro-life standpoint, this is no different. Instead of opposing murder, you say the pro-life people just want to increase government control. And how you get from denying women the right to kill their kids (in the pro-life mind) to building a massive government to control the minutia of people's lives is beyond me.

You can't use the women's rights argument until you establish that an unborn human is not actually a person with a right to life and is part of the mother. And since their is no widely accepted definition of personhood, arguing over abortion is completely futile.

My main intent on this thread was not to prove that abortion is wrong, although I think it is. I'm simply trying to say that many posters here are completely ignoring the facts of the pro-life movement and trying to discredit it by massively exaggerating and misinterpreting its stance and then assaulting the character of pro-life supporters, rather than proving their arguments wrong.

Last edited by UndeadToaster on 21 Nov 2013, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cleverintrovert316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2013, 9:06 pm

I think an illogical reason is getting pregnant just to have an abortion, which I know is rare. I'm both pro-choice and pro-life, leaning more towards the former, depending on the scenario.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 9:32 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:
You can't use the women's rights argument until you establish that an unborn human is not actually a person with a right to life and is part of the mother. And since their is no widely accepted definition of personhood, arguing over abortion is completely futile.

Yes, I can. It is in side a woman's body. That makes it her business, and no one else's. Stop interfering in other people's personal lives, and in their reproductive systems. You said you want the government to stay out of people's personal lives, then you stay out of other people's personal lives too, and out of their bodies.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 9:32 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:

Yes, I can. It is in side a woman's body. That makes it her business, and no one else's. Stop interfering in other people's personal lives, and in their reproductive systems. You said you want the government to stay out of people's personal lives, then you stay out of other people's personal lives too, and out of their bodies.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 10:02 pm

I still say that pregnancy is an attack on a woman's body and she has a right to defend herself.

Mamselle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2013, 10:35 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:
Mamselle wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:

So if someone believes murder is acceptable, they're free to do that? Of course someone who believes abortion is murder is going to try to prevent it. It would be ridiculous not to.

They can only prevent it if they are the one pregnant. Otherwise, it falls under the category of none of their business.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 12:03 am

UndeadToaster wrote:
Mamselle wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:
Pro-choice defenders need to stop attacking the pro-life supporters and actually defend their assertion that a zygote/fetus is part of a women's body, instead of ignoring the fact that people oppose abortion because they think it's murder, NOT because they want to control or demean women

Really? So how come so many people who identify as "pro-life" also actively object to funding government programs to help poor mothers raise those children it was so vital they didn't abort?
I would believe it wasn't about demeaning and controlling women if "pro-life" people were as concerned about BORN babies as they seem to be about fetuses.

Because many of them believe in a small government and want the government to stay out of people's personal lives. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying their intentions aren't bad. It wouldn't even make that much sense, there are far more effective ways to control and demean women than to force them to follow through with something that doesn't happen very often over the course of a women's life and that they could have avoided.

Telling women and their doctors what procedures they can and cannot agree to is the antithesis of a small government.
Quote:
Artificial wombs are theoretically possible, and the fetus is dependent on a mother, yes, but not necessarily a specific one, not that we have the ability to transfer. It is simply far, far easier to keep a baby alive without a mother than a fetus without a mother.

When an actual artificial uterus is invented, we can revisit the topic. Until then, a zef is dependent on a specific woman, and a baby is not.

Quote:
You have a point with the life support thing though. However, when there is no recognizable brain function (and it could be there, recently it was discovered that people thought to be comatose for years were actually conscious), there is also no foreseeable return to brain function, however in a fetus before the brain starts functioning, there is still the expectation that it will.

And there's the expectation that a combination of egg and sperm, put into a petri dish together, will eventually form a zygote. You have to look at what is, not what might be. Eggs are not sacred, and neither are sperm, regardless of their potential.
Quote:
And still, why can't a human being be completely dependent on something? I guess this can't be resolved without an accepted definition of human being.

a human being can be completely dependent on something; they just can't be completely dependent on another human being without the second one's permission.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 12:07 am

cleverintrovert316 wrote:
I'm not against abortion, but I think there should be a legitimate and logical reason for doing so. (ex: rape, unplanned, etc.)

I strongly doubt that many women have abortions for reasons that they do not think are 'legitimate and logical.' It costs a lot of money, and from what I hear it's, at the easiest, like a really bad case of menstrual cramps. Considering that menstrual cramps by themselves can be so bad that women vomit from the pain and are effectively debilitated for a day or two, I don't think that this is something that a sane woman would do just for kicks.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 4:12 am

LKL wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:
Mamselle wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:
Pro-choice defenders need to stop attacking the pro-life supporters and actually defend their assertion that a zygote/fetus is part of a women's body, instead of ignoring the fact that people oppose abortion because they think it's murder, NOT because they want to control or demean women

Really? So how come so many people who identify as "pro-life" also actively object to funding government programs to help poor mothers raise those children it was so vital they didn't abort?
I would believe it wasn't about demeaning and controlling women if "pro-life" people were as concerned about BORN babies as they seem to be about fetuses.

Because many of them believe in a small government and want the government to stay out of people's personal lives. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying their intentions aren't bad. It wouldn't even make that much sense, there are far more effective ways to control and demean women than to force them to follow through with something that doesn't happen very often over the course of a women's life and that they could have avoided.

Telling women and their doctors what procedures they can and cannot agree to is the antithesis of a small government.

The sad thing is, I think he really truly can't see how hypocritical it is, to claim to support small government, and keeping the government out of peoples personal lives, while at the same time advocating the government intervening in women's personal healthcare choices. :roll:

cleverintrovert316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2013, 7:22 am

LKL, you have a point. I mentioned earlier that I'm generally pro-choice, but a little pro-life. My mom miscarried before I was born (which they don't know I know).

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2013, 3:04 pm

Max000 wrote:
LKL wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:
Mamselle wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:

The sad thing is, I think he really truly can't see how hypocritical it is, to claim to support small government, and keeping the government out of peoples personal lives, while at the same time advocating the government intervening in women's personal healthcare choices. :roll:

And I think both of you truly aren't understanding what I'm trying to say. I never said I personally supported small government, for one thing and I agreed that we need more in place to help mothers with unwanted pregnancies.
I'm saying that murder is not a personal healthcare choice. If the women wanted to kill herself, that's personal, if she wants to kill her kid, its not. Maybe I'm wrong that an unborn baby is not worthy of personhood and is part of the mother's body. However, I do believe they are separate, and for that reason, I am not supporting government intervention in women's personal healthcare choices. Accusing pro-life supporters of trying to deny rights to women is the equivalent of us calling you murderers, neither of which are true.