Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cleverintrovert316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2013, 8:22 am

Okay, a lot of the ancestors on my paternal grandfather's side came from Germany. However, when I was doing family research a few years ago, I discovered that I had a relative with the surname "Feuerstein". Also, I have multiple relatives with the surname "Winkler". My dad agreed with me when I briefly brought up the topic. With first names, I've found "Paul", "Elizabeth", "Joseph", and "Jacob". Finally, (I'm not trying to sound stereotypical.) a lot of my relatives on my paternal grandfather's side have black/brown hair and brown eyes. People have asked me if I'm Jewish before, and I'm finding a lot of evidence toward this. What do you guys think?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 8:26 am

MAZEL TOV!

:cheers:

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 9:00 am

Is your mother Jewish?

If not, you're not Jewish?

Mamselle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2013, 9:31 am

I'm Jewish. If your mother wasn't Jewish, you're not, according to strict interpretation of Jewish law.

cleverintrovert316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2013, 9:33 am

No, she isn't.

Mamselle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2013, 9:36 am

In that case, Fnord should retract the "Mazel tov" and replace it with "Vay iz mir!" :)

cleverintrovert316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2013, 9:50 am

Oh, ok. Would I still be considered ethnically Jewish, though?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 10:11 am

cleverintrovert316 wrote:

What you consider yourself is up to you. I suspect that other Jews would consider you a goy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mJZT99ykc[/youtube]

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 10:50 am

What are you asking?

If the question is 'are you Jewish?' the answer is probably no.

If the question is "do you have Jewish blood?" the answer is 'maybe'. The evidence is a bit circumstantial, but interesting.

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

21 Nov 2013, 10:56 am

Probably not, although you could consider yourself part Jewish blood, if your hunch turns out to be correct.

I will say that physical appearance, while a hint, isn't much to go on. People have assumed multiple times before that I myself am Jewish, when in fact I am purely of northern European descent (75% English with a little German, Danish and Irish mixed in). Dark brown or black hair and brown eyes are fairly common even in northern European populations, so that by itself isn't really an indicator.

cleverintrovert316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm

Thanks! ☺ I was just curious, and I think your responses helped.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Nov 2013, 12:31 pm

Ethnicity is self-identified. If you think you are ethnically Jewish, then you are.

Names like "Paul", "Joseph" and "Elizabeth" are widespread outside of the Jewish population (worth remembering that those three are New Testament figures, though obviously of Jewish birth), as are dark hair and brown eyes. Miss Feuerstein was probably Jewish though, and Jacob isn't a particularly common name that is mostly Jewish.

Go back far enough and you'll find Jewish ancestors for anyone of European descent.

cleverintrovert316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2013, 12:33 pm

Also, to answer what I'm trying to ask, I was wondering if I had Jewish blood. ☺

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 2:20 pm

My maternal grandmother's maiden name had been clearly Jewish (Abramovske), but as far back as her family's collective memory goes, they had considered themselves to be Prussian German Lutherans. I personally consider this Jewish connection to my family to be an interesting oddity, but hardly something that determines my ethnic identity, any more than the little smidgen of Polish Catholic blood on my Dad's side would. If I have an ethnic identification, I am a German American of the Lutheran faith.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 7:07 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

What you consider yourself is up to you. I suspect that other Jews would consider you a goy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mJZT99ykc[/youtube]

Unless he went through a full conversion, which requires a Mikveh (a ritual bath) and a circumcision (or ritual circumcision, if already mutilated).

The movie doesn't quite go into full detail.

Jews generally discourage conversion because there are so many rules to follow, and they don't want you to screw up.

Mamselle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2013, 7:47 pm

CSBurks wrote:
Unless he went through a full conversion, which requires a Mikveh (a ritual bath) and a circumcision (or ritual circumcision, if already mutilated).

The movie doesn't quite go into full detail.

Jews generally discourage conversion because there are so many rules to follow, and they don't want you to screw up.

I can't agree with your last statement. I think Jews want conversion to be done only after careful study, because of the faith's strong tradition of learning and knowledge.

I know that Orthodox rabbis will only consider a convert Jewish if he or she converts through the Orthodox branch of the faith. I don't think Conservative or Reform are that picky.