Soldiers Kill Civilians - A National Disgrace

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 8:50 am

Undercover UK Soldiers Kill Unarmed Civilians in Belfast

Soldiers from an undercover unit used by the British army in Northern Ireland killed unarmed civilians. Should anyone be surprised that Northern Ireland had it's own Gestapo?

I wonder how many alleged immigrants from Northern Ireland were actually "disappeared" and killed for their political views by their own government.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 12:16 pm

It was a long, dirty war. I once read about an incident where Northern Ireland protestant militia killed several teenage protestant boys because they were "going steady" with catholic girls. The British army is just the tip of the iceberg...

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm

unless you're british it's not YOUR national disgrace. go mind your own business.

i dont think you have a right to judge unless you were there.

if you were balanced about it you'd make more of the fact that they were making the best out of a bad situation and that they probably did actually save lives.

Quote:
"We were hunting down hardcore baby-killers, terrorists, people that would kill you without even thinking about it."

A third former MRF soldier said: "If you had a player who was a well-known shooter who carried out quite a lot of assassinations... then he had to be taken out.

Calling them gestapo is offensive.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 2:12 pm

woodster wrote:
unless you're british it's not YOUR national disgrace. go mind your own business.

if you were balanced about it you'd make more of the fact that they were making the best out of a bad situation and that they probably did actually save lives.

Quote:
"We were hunting down hardcore baby-killers, terrorists, people that would kill you without even thinking about it."

A third former MRF soldier said: "If you had a player who was a well-known shooter who carried out quite a lot of assassinations... then he had to be taken out.

Calling them gestapo is offensive.

I agree. While my heart goes out to any innocent civilians who were accidentally killed by this unit, the fact remains, the people they were up against were the Al Qaida and Taliban of their day. These terrorists were not freedom fighters, but were baby killers. As my family are Protestants, I have to think, we wouldn't last ten seconds with the waste of human organs the British army were targeting.

adb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 2:24 pm

woodster wrote:

The tsunami of people with opinions on the Zimmerman trial would disagree.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 3:52 pm

adb wrote:
woodster wrote:

The tsunami of people with opinions on the Zimmerman trial would disagree.

But the difference is, it's mostly Americans who are outraged over the Zimmerman case - which happened in America. That's the point.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Nov 2013, 5:13 pm

woodster wrote:

I think Fnord probably said it on purpose. He is a nationalistic American who gets riled up whenever someone criticises American foreign policy or something. He was probably trying to rile up thomas81, who is the main offender and is Northern Irish.

The British made a lot of mistakes in Northern Ireland (Bloody Sunday, and clamping down too hard on the Catholics, particularly when the army was first called in, are the stand out). We already knew that British soldiers killed unarmed civilians (see, again, Bloody Sunday). This just piles more on.

I kind of agree with the thrust of Kraichgauer's argument. If someone is a committed terrorist, then shooting them between attacks could be a necessary evil. Obviously death is always a tragedy, particularly civilian deaths.