Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

devochka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2013, 5:03 pm

I was just thinking that I went to an Aspie support group several months ago. I thought that, being among Aspies, I wouldn't have conversational problems, but I still had the same issues I always have. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 5:16 pm

I suppose difficulties interacting with other humans applies across the board to all humans, including others with the same handicaps.

There's a guy on my regular email contacts that I used to work with, who's every bit as textbook Aspie as I am, and a really great person, but we would never be buddies and hang out because our personal interests are different as night and day. Other than working in the same industry for years, we have absolutely nothing in common and would run out of things to talk about in about a half hour, or worse, bore each other to death lecturing on topics the other couldn't care less about. :wink:

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 5:23 pm

I have lived with my mom for almost 30 years. We both are autistic. I have yet to have a conversation with her.

I would expect to have more communication problems when interacting with people who are also on the spectrum, unless we were writing to each other.

loosewheel
Raven
Raven

22 Nov 2013, 5:47 pm

Being AS generally just means you don't interpret non-verbal indicators so much and, typically being more subject focused than personal focused, the priorities in communication are different. Good communication skills extend far beyond that. Being able to communication with a great diversity of people is a skill most people don't have. Most people can communicate more effectively with those most similar to themselves. I can more naturally communicate with unsophisticated NT males rather than emotionally focused AS females, for example. My more robotic type of manner appears very harsh from an emotional perspective. I need to do a lot more interpreting in these encounters.