My gf is upset and i am not sure why.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

marsh7024
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2013, 6:03 pm

So earlier this mourning I texted my aspie gf and woke her up. I didn't realize she was still asleep and she got really angry and upset at me. She has been upset all day long. can anyone help me understand why she got so upset at me? What effect does waking someone up with AS have on them?

Please Help

Hooraydiation
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Nov 2013, 6:07 pm

I doubt it's some kind of universal autistic response to being woken up, but maybe you screwed up her routine and threw off her entire day.

Or maybe she's really mad about something else.

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 7:06 pm

Uhm. I don't think waking up someone with AS is any different than waking an NT up...

That's more a personality thing. Some people are going to be pissed about it, some aren't, some will be annoyed but get over it, some will think to themselves, "Arrrr! Why didn't I put the bloody phone on silent?!"

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 7:23 pm

Probably had more to do with the irritating sound of the phone and her lack of sleep than you personally. Aspies are often night owls who stay up later than they should. Add to that the sensory hypersensitivity to sudden noises and it probably just jarred her awake when she really wasn't ready to be disturbed. Even the buzzing of a phone on silent can be irritating when you're trying to sleep.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 7:44 pm

I don't think that's an aspie specific thing. You probably just woke her up when she didn't want to be woke up. Just like anybody else.

marsh7024
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2013, 7:49 pm

I didn't mean that I thought people with AS are going to get angry at being woken up more often than NT's. I am concerned about the degree to which she was upset, and how long she has remained upset. most people who are angry when they are woken up would have gotten passed that by now. I saw her earlier today and she yelled at me, and then told me she wanted to be left alone.
I am just trying to figure out why she would be this upset about something like this?
she was definitely upset about being woken up this morning. She made that clear when she yelled at me.
She has never been this upset at me before.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 8:12 pm

Tell her to turn her phone off if she doesn't want to be woken.
What time was it? Was it at a time when you knew she'd normally be asleep, or not?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Hooraydiation

22 Nov 2013, 11:06 pm

marsh7024 wrote:
I didn't mean that I thought people with AS are going to get angry at being woken up more often than NT's. I am concerned about the degree to which she was upset, and how long she has remained upset. most people who are angry when they are woken up would have gotten passed that by now. I saw her earlier today and she yelled at me, and then told me she wanted to be left alone.
I am just trying to figure out why she would be this upset about something like this?
she was definitely upset about being woken up this morning. She made that clear when she yelled at me.
She has never been this upset at me before.

If she said she wanted to be left alone, maybe that's a sign that she wants more solitude in general, like she feels like you're smothering her a bit. That would add another reason for her to be annoyed by your text, not just that you texted her early but that you texted her at all.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Nov 2013, 12:27 am

Maybe she couldn't/wouldn't go back to sleep after being woken up & thus upset as a result of being really tired & wanted to be left alone to sleep or rest.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 7:38 am

Did you ask her if anything else was wrong? By now this is probably not about being woken up by a text but about something else. This something else could be:

a) related to you - as in you are doing other things wrong but she is using the text thing to be mad at you because she doesn't know how to tell you about the other stuff

b) related to something else in her life and she is
i) lashing out on everyone
ii) lashing out at you because you have failed to provide comfort and solace when and how she needed it
iii) lashing out on you because she wants to break up with you

Good luck figuring out which (and I've probably forgotten to include some possibilities).

No wonder so many of us are single :roll: when none of us can really tell what the other person is upset about.