Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 8:34 pm

I went to a social group the other day, and a foreign girl caught my attention. She seemed very shy. The only time she talked was when the facilitator asked her a question or two. I would have talked to her, but there was many people to talk to, and I only had an hour or so. Anyways, I decided to add her, and I said hi, she replied, and then I asked her major, she replied, then I asked her why, and she never replied. Do you think it was shyness, or me? (She did add me on fb). Do you think foreigners and aspies tend to do well? She is Syrian btw.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 8:38 pm

zacb wrote:
I went to a social group the other day, and a foreign girl caught my attention. She seemed very shy. The only time she talked was when the facilitator asked her a question or two. I would have talked to her, but there was many people to talk to, and I only had an hour or so. Anyways, I decided to add her, and I said hi, she replied, and then I asked her major, she replied, then I asked her why, and she never replied. Do you think it was shyness, or me? (She did add me on fb). Do you think foreigners and aspies tend to do well? She is Syrian btw.

If she is Christian, I doubt the Syrian part will pose any impediment, but if she is Muslim, her religion likely will.

As far as whether she likes you, it's hard to say about women.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 8:40 pm

True. I met her at a Christian group, so I would assume Christian, although that may not be the case too. I think she is kinda cute, and I like her reserved nature, which tends to be rare.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 8:42 pm

zacb wrote:
True. I met her at a Christian group, so I would assume Christian, although that may not be the case too. I think she is kinda cute, and I like her reserved nature, which tends to be rare.

One thing to keep in mind is that she likely doesn't come from a liberal background which means courting and such is almost certainly a much more serious business for her.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 8:44 pm

Sounds ok with me :) . I would rather someone a little more traditional, even though I lean liberal on somethings (more libertarian, but that is besides the point).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 8:45 pm

Syrians seems to prefer traditional (e.g. Muslim) relationships and disfavor casual (e.g. American) dating. Muslims can only date after completing their marriage contract, "Kitabt al-Kitab" ("writing the book"), a period that ranges from a few months to a year or more to get used to living with one another. After this time period, a wedding takes place and fulfills the marriage. Muslims tend to marry other Muslims only.

She may not just be shy, she may be simply uninterested in dating a non-Muslim (e.g. an "Infidel"), so don't push it, as she may have some very big and very protective older male relatives.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 8:46 pm

zacb wrote:
Sounds ok with me :) . I would rather someone a little more traditional, even though I lean liberal on somethings (more libertarian, but that is besides the point).

Well, that's likely to mean the close involvement of her parents in your courtship, with them keeping a close eye on you, and likely no physical intimacy until marriage.

As far as the liberalism goes, I do have judgments to make, but I'm not making them here, but trying to be accurate in what I say. This stuff matters, especially when we are talking about peoples from non-liberal backgrounds, who tend to be very different from our norms.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 8:50 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
zacb wrote:

Well, that's likely to mean the close involvement of her parents in your courtship, with them keeping a close eye on you, and likely no physical intimacy until marriage.

As far as the liberalism goes, I do have judgments to make, but I'm not making them here, but trying to be accurate in what I say. This stuff matters, especially when we are talking about peoples from non-liberal backgrounds, who tend to be very different from our norms.

True. I guess it really depends like you said. What I mean by traditional would be more like in Mexico or other South American countries where they value family more. Get what I mean?

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 8:54 pm

zacb wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
zacb wrote:

True. I guess it really depends like you said. What I mean by traditional would be more like in Mexico or other South American countries where they value family more. Get what I mean?

Good point. Actually, Latins now have high out-of-wedlock birth rates than whites do now. So, it's possible she may be fully assimilated. I was trying to give you on possibility to look out for.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 9:00 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
zacb wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
zacb wrote:

Good point. Actually, Latins now have high out-of-wedlock birth rates than whites do now. So, it's possible she may be fully assimilated. I was trying to give you on possibility to look out for.

Well, she is Syrian. And she made her fb like a month ago, and she was born in Syria, so not sure. She also has an accent still. IDK . But yeah I gotcha. I meant in country with Latam countries. I was just using them as what I though traditional meant.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 9:07 pm

zacb wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
zacb wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
zacb wrote:

Well, she is Syrian. And she made her fb like a month ago, and she was born in Syria, so not sure. She also has an accent still. IDK . But yeah I gotcha. I meant in country with Latam countries. I was just using them as what I though traditional meant.

Well, Latins have bought into much of liberalism. Muslims, not so much, which is one reason they are hated. As far as Mideast Christians go, that's a good question you might find the answer to soon.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 9:11 pm

I guess I get what you mean by your thoughts on Latin Americans. I am for open immigration, but regardless of immigrants or not, we need to draw back on welfare. But on a posi-negative note, there is a net decrease in population for the US. On the positive end, many of them are quiet entrepreneurial.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 9:13 pm

zacb wrote:
I guess I get what you mean by your thoughts on Latin Americans. I am for open immigration, but regardless of immigrants or not, we need to draw back on welfare. But on a posi-negative note, there is a net decrease in population for the US. On the positive end, many of them are quiet entrepreneurial.

I don't think we need any more immigrants from anywhere. When was the last time you were driving down the road and found yourself wishing there was more traffic on it? Or when was the last time you passed by a meadow or forest and thought how much better it would look with a strip center of tract housing subdivision on it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 9:17 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
zacb wrote:
I don't think we need any more immigrants from anywhere. When was the last time you were driving down the road and found yourself wishing there was more traffic on it? Or when was the last time you passed by a meadow or forest and thought how much better it would look with a strip center of tract housing subdivision on it?

Or when was the last time you were walking toward your car and thought how much better it would be if there were more panhandlers walking toward you?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 9:19 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
zacb wrote:

Then again I think we should privatize the roads, should it is kinda moot. I enjoy a larger smaller area (around 500,00), so I gotcha. But I believe in the free market of things, including goods and people. Although we should not subsidize it, which is half the problem.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 9:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
zacb wrote:

Or when was the last time you were walking toward your car and thought how much better it would be if there were more panhandlers walking toward you?

Yes, there generally aren't panhandlers in forests or meadows.