Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

cleverintrovert316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2013, 11:48 am

I'm so happy to see marriage equality laws being passed in multiple states. Hopefully, they'll come to Kansas soon. (My family's one of the few liberal ones on the block, so I'm not sure HOW soon.) This is part of the reason why I supported Obama during the elections. No offense, but if Romney, who is anti-marriage equality, won, the U.S. probably wouldn't be this far.

Okay, without further to do, here's my top 5 reasons why I support marriage equality!

1. Lack of divorce. It breaks my heart every time I hear about a marriage being terminated, but I know quite a few of them ended due to one of the parties not particularly being attracted to the opposite gender. If people are allowed to marry whoever they desire, things like this won't happen as often.

2. This will open up new opportunities for acceptance, since accepting gay marriage will help people be more tolerable of others unlike them. Hopefully, Thomas Jefferson will be correct when he said ALL men are created equal very soon.

3. The word "gay" won't have a negative connotation anymore. Students won't use it as a slang term as frequently. I seriously want to stab myself every time I hear, "That's so gay."

4. Anti-gay places (***cough*** Chick Fil-A ***cough***) will realize how ridiculous they were being and accept ALL people.

5. Chances are that allowing marriage equality in America will be heard of worldwide, and the word will spread. Therefore, we're one step closer to world peace. :)

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 2:34 pm

Eh?

1. It's very unlikely that someone will marry someone of the opposite gender just because they weren't allowed to marry someone of the same. In fact, gay marriage will technically make the divorce rate go up, because gay couples split apart as well.

2. Passing gay marriage -/-> people accepting homosexuality. Actually, it will entrench anti-gay attitudes even more, because of how people respond when they feel their beliefs are being threatened.

3. I really don't think allowing same sex marriage will magically change the way everyone uses the word gay. Openly gay relationships didn't.

4. See 2.

5. Gay marriage -/-> world peace. Or maybe it will, but we have no reason to suspect that.

Please, provide reasoning behind your assertions.

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2013, 2:58 pm

this is literally the dumbest issue today. its 2013, we should be far past this already. who cares who marries who? theres ZERO reasons why gay people cant marry each other. they're gonna be together regardless, so why cant they be given the same freedoms/rights as straight people? i dont like making generalizations about people, but if this bothers you then there's something wrong with you. we're in the middle of history right now, like if i ever have children one day then they'll be reading about this in their text books and i find that exciting.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 3:48 pm

I really don't understand why people who don't like gay people are so against gay marriage. The bottom line is that it doesn't effect them. Nobody is going to force them to marry someone of the same sex. Nobody is going to force them to go to a same sex wedding, they probably wouldn't be invited anyway.

As for churches, I think each individual minister or denomination should be able to decide whether or not their church will perform them, because it is a religious issue to a lot of people. However, I don't think that the churches that would refuse to do them really have all that many gay people in their congregations (except Catholic, but American Catholic recognizes it I hear, and ordains gay priests - not Roman Catholic - don't quote me though it's just something I've heard from several people, and it's also not affiliated with the Vatican).

It just amazes me why people have such a fit about what somebody else is going to do that doesn't hurt anyone and doesn't effect anyone else except the people involved. Yes, the anti-gay folks will have to accept that it's legal when it is, but they don't have to approve or condone it personally.

Anyway, aren't there more important issues to worry about than somebody else's love life? We have way too many other things wrong to fix before I can even take somebody seriously who thinks preventing gay marriage is vital to preserving the sanctity of straight marriage. If the anti-gay folks would all get together and somehow or other raise enough money to pay for marriage counseling for every troubled straight marriage out there and get all the straight marriages on solid ground and happy, then they might actually be able to convincingly say that they are concerned that legal gay marriage would hurt straight marriage. I still don't believe it would, but if they would just do that first I would sit down and listen to every word they had to say. I still probably wouldn't agree with them but I would believe that they were at least sincere about their reasons. They need to put their money where their mouth is, help fix the straight marriages that are in trouble now before they start worrying about future ones being ruined by somebody else's happiness.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 4:27 pm

Gotta love how people jumped straight in to defend gay marriage, before anyone criticised it. Or are we allowed to delete posts?

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 7:21 pm

^ I love it, too. :wink: And yes, people can delete posts, so long as no-one else has posted after them.

Magneto wrote:
Eh?

1. It's very unlikely that someone will marry someone of the opposite gender just because they weren't allowed to marry someone of the same. In fact, gay marriage will technically make the divorce rate go up, because gay couples split apart as well.

2. Passing gay marriage -/-> people accepting homosexuality. Actually, it will entrench anti-gay attitudes even more, because of how people respond when they feel their beliefs are being threatened.

3. I really don't think allowing same sex marriage will magically change the way everyone uses the word gay. Openly gay relationships didn't.

4. See 2.

5. Gay marriage -/-> world peace. Or maybe it will, but we have no reason to suspect that.

Please, provide reasoning behind your assertions.

Agree with your take on #3 and #5. As for #2, some will become more anti-gay, but I doubt a majority will. Think back to the decriminalisation of homosexual acts, and the increasing support of gay people in wider society since then. Give #4 some time, too; it happened with objections to women's voting worldwide and interracial marriage in the US.

As for #1, there's been an unfortunate tendency of gay people feeling pressured to marry people of the opposite sex – either to fit in with those around them, because of family pressures (e.g., in China), or for religious reasons. Some of these marriages last, but a lot of gay people in this situation end up divorcing because they couldn't handle it as well as they (and others) had hoped. Having marriage as an option for gay couples – particularly in the law – will be better for gay people who might otherwise feel pressured into an opposite-sex relationship and marriage. And with gay people making only 2–3% of the population in many developed countries, I can't see their marriages having any real impact on the overall divorce rate.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Sharkbait
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2013, 7:24 pm

1) Because they pay taxes.
2) It's not morally right to discriminate based on a personal belief system.
3-5) Same as 1-2.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 7:57 pm

Only one reason is needed:

It is no one's business whom you marry, assuming that person is a consenting adult.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 1:18 am

Murihiku wrote:
Agree with your take on #3 and #5. As for #2, some will become more anti-gay, but I doubt a majority will. Think back to the decriminalisation of homosexual acts, and the increasing support of gay people in wider society since then. Give #4 some time, too; it happened with objections to women's voting worldwide and interracial marriage in the US.

I agree with this. There's no denying society has become more gay-accepting lately. Just look at last year, when three states voted to legalize same-sex marriage. That forecasts a major shift in societal attitudes, because during the 2000s decade, it was trendy for states to vote to ban same-sex marriage.

Also, sure, there will be outliers. Those who are currently screeching against gay rights are only getting louder because they know they're losing. The point is, most of those who are fussing over same-sex marriage now have always been opposed to it, anyway.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 2:48 am

CSBurks wrote:
Only one reason is needed:

It is no one's business whom you marry, assuming that person is a consenting adult.

I agree with this. I'm Catholic myself and have no issues with gay marriage. As long as they are consenting adults and happy, who cares? It's their lives, not anyone elses.