"Autist" or "Autistic"? Correct term?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 11:34 am

In the English language, which would be the correct term to use when talking about someone diagnosed as autistic?

I've seen both used here. I'd assumed the correct term was "Autistic". As in "He's an Autistic," but others freely use the term "Autist".

Could that second term be used by people for whom English isn't their primary language, and using "Autist" is just a linguistic hiccup?

IS there actually a correct term?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 11:41 am

"autistic" is an adjective so it could be:
"he's autistic"

myPad dictionary also says "autistic" can be used as a noun so:
"he's an autistic" would also work.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 11:46 am

I saw the word 'autist' for the first time just a couple months ago. I think it has probably come into being as a push to not have autism be an '-ic', because the suffix '-ic' is used for someone who's diseased. eg: celiac, diabetic, schizophrenic. Again, this I think is a very recent word, spellcheck doesn't recognize autist as a word.

Autistic is still an adjective regardless, and I don't think anyone will bat an eye if you use it as a noun since it's been used as a noun for years, and I suspect most people use autistic as a noun still.

Poor motivation

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 12:21 pm

A person who is 'autistic' is an 'autistic'.

Thats the only way ive ever seen it in medical or scientific magazines and books.

You do see 'autist', but that seems to be some unofficial colloguial fad among folks who arent in the healthcare profession.

I dont care for the term because it implies that having autism is analogous to being a "scientist", or an "artist", or an "illusionist"- that autism is something you choose- and not only choose- but perfect as a craft. Which is several kinds of utter nonsense.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Nov 2013, 12:25 pm

I think "autist" sounds stupid. I think "an autistic" sounds stupid.

I would use "person with autism", "autistic person", or even "Aspie" (regardless of diagnosis).

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Nov 2013, 1:13 pm

While I'm an ESL speaker, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing in the English language. I tend to be pretty casual on this forum and just mix whatever is to my liking (or, sometimes, amuses me) as long as it's understandable. It's not rocket surgery. :)

I've been known to use "autist" because its similarity to "artist" is amusing to me. Not because I think the two are actually analogous to any great extent; it's just whimsy.

I'm pretty sure it's not formally correct, though. I've been known to use "autistic" as well.

Most names for people on the spectrum bandied around here are pretty casual, I think. I don't believe these two are any less formally correct than "aspie" for someone with that particular (obsolescent?) diagnosis.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 5:06 pm

It should be noted that posters from Dutch and German-speaking communities are used to seeing the word autist/Autist as the appropriate noun for an autistic person. The adjective in these languages is autistisch.

In English, I tend to use 'autistic' as both the adjective and the noun, though I should say that I mainly use it in the plural when it's a noun, e.g.: 'Autistics commonly focus on one or two interests', and when I'm speaking about a single autistic person, I'll usually not say 'an autistic', but rather 'an autistic person', 'a person with autism', and variations on this.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 5:07 pm

If a flautist plays the flute, does that mean an autist plays the ute?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 5:54 pm

I have neck tattoos in my 'To Be Done' notebook, that will say "ARTIST" on one side and "AUTIST" on the other. The way the script is designed, you have to look carefully to see the difference. I drew them up some five years ago and I didn't make up the term, so it's been around for a bit.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 6:16 pm

Someone with autism can be called autistic.

Sharkbait
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2013, 6:46 pm

I personally do not like the '-ic' suffix, because as a noun suffix it means I'm affected by a condition, as opposed to being simply what I am.
I'm not maleic. I'm not Caucasianic. Yet, I am Autistic.

But that's the beauty of the English language; you can add new words, and current words can change meaning.

If you like "autist," just throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Nov 2013, 6:50 pm

Grammatically speaking, I have no clue. Grammar isn't my strong point lol

But it really varies from person to person, I think. I prefer to be called autistic, an aspie, or a person with aspergers. But I know of people who aren't comfortable with some of those, and who want to be called a person with autism, an autist, or something different.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 7:08 pm

Sharkbait wrote:
... it means I'm affected by a condition, as opposed to being simply what I am.

Then why on earth would you say you're autistic?

Autism itself is a clearly defined medical disorder [by the majority] that affects one's life negatively, objectively.

That's one thing I never get.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Nov 2013, 7:11 pm

Autistic and autist are both correct. Use them if you like them. Set them aside if you don't.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 7:46 pm

My own preference is to be referred to as an 'autist'.It seems to come with less emotional baggage than the term 'autistic.' (which seem to carry preconceptions of behaviour).

That said, I respect other's preferences on the matter.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 8:10 pm

Sharkbait wrote:
I personally do not like the '-ic' suffix, because as a noun suffix it means I'm affected by a condition, as opposed to being simply what I am.
I'm not maleic. I'm not Caucasianic. Yet, I am Autistic.

But that's the beauty of the English language; you can add new words, and current words can change meaning.

If you like "autist," just throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.

But it IS a medical condition. To claim otherwise is nonsense.

Get real.
Its NOT the same as being male,or Caucasian. You may not be ashamed of having it. Which is fine. But its still a condition.