Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

What Brand of Guitar or Bass do you own?
Fender 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Gibson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
PRS 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Schecter 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Warwick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Spector 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I Don't Give a D***! If its got Strings I'll Play it!! !! 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 6

JDM1992
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2013, 9:19 pm

Hey WP! I have not seen a bassists discussion thread so lets start one up! Talk your favorite bassists, Your Gear, Music Styles, Amps, Cabs, Effects, New crap on the market, Favorite Tones, Etc...
I will start off.
I use Warwick and Spector basses and listen to 90's Rock music mostly.
My favorite Bassists are Phil Soussan (Ozzy), Mike Inez (Ozzy, AIC), and Jesse Vest of little known bands DOTN and Tantric.
My amps are all Ampeg and my current setup consists of
Active Bass>Darkglass Bass OD>SansAmp DI>Ampeg Amp & 6x10 Cab. My favorite Bass tones are generally the ones produced by Active basses. I always dig the sound of a old 70's J-Bass into an Matching SVT. I do not currently play in a band due to living in a Hyper-Religious small town. So? How bout you?

PS. Guitarists welcome too! We don't bite.....much :P
PSS. Lets Keep the discussion civil as well. Lets not bash anybody for Taste in music, Gear, Etc...

There is no hope for my future. A failure is all I am and all I will
ever be.

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2013, 10:09 pm

i play a jackson 5 string through an Orange amp. ive messed around with a couple pedals but only own a Way Huge Swollen Pickle (its my favorite so far) ive also had a Big Muff Pi but sold it to pay an under age drinking ticket -_- and also gave away my wah pedal during a fit of depression (BLAGH!!)
my favorite bassist is probably cliff burton, i love his style.

click on this ;D

^thats an old video of me playing bits and pieces of a song (solo?) i wrote. but i only had my friend's crappy line 6 amp. maybe ill record the whole thing some day

JDM1992
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2013, 10:27 pm

slickbacksteve wrote:
i play a jackson 5 string through an Orange amp. ive messed around with a couple pedals but only own a Way Huge Swollen Pickle (its my favorite so far) ive also had a Big Muff Pi but sold it to pay an under age drinking ticket -_- and also gave away my wah pedal during a fit of depression (BLAGH!!)
my favorite bassist is probably cliff burton, i love his style.

click on this ;D

^thats an old video of me playing bits and pieces of a song (solo?) i wrote. but i only had my friend's crappy line 6 amp. maybe ill record the whole thing some day

Jackson and Kramer made some great basses in the 80's. I remember seeing early promos of Mike Starr of Alice in Chains on the internet using a Kramer bass with Spector Electronics before switching to NS-2's. The Big Muff is great I tried one out at GC i a nearby town. I couldn't find a tone or setting I liked so I passed it up for a Darkglass OD. As for Cliff Aria Basses make his signature bass now. Its got a single Humbucker and a 7 way tone knob. I dig the video too. :)

ever be.

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2013, 11:02 pm

i love AIC, ironically i play in a grunge band :P the big muff was the first pedal i ever bought. it was fun and loud but wasnt really what i was looking for as far as tone goes. i feel completely stupid for not knowing cliff's got a signature bass out there?? that thing looks so sexy 8O i want it. the darkglass sounds amazing btw, definitely gives a sound id like to mess around with. i see why you passed up the big muff hahah.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 3:12 am

I play a Yamaha 5 string fretless bass, I forget the name of the model to be honest. I'm using a Markbass 2x10 combo amp, it's around 500 watts I believe. I don't use any effects right now, but a multi-effects pedal would be neat.

As far as favorite bassists go, I honestly don't have any to name off by hand. I quite like some of the bass in my video game music, but I couldn't tell who is playing the bass in those songs.

JDM1992
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2013, 11:45 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
I play a Yamaha 5 string fretless bass, I forget the name of the model to be honest. I'm using a Markbass 2x10 combo amp, it's around 500 watts I believe. I don't use any effects right now, but a multi-effects pedal would be neat.

As far as favorite bassists go, I honestly don't have any to name off by hand. I quite like some of the bass in my video game music, but I couldn't tell who is playing the bass in those songs.

Fretless is a challenge I'd like to get into myself! I thought about grabbing a fretless 4 string "Knock Around" bass to practice my slides and groves but never found the time to find one I liked. Multiples of 10 are best when it comes to speakers. Nothing like a wall of 10's being supported with 18" woofers on a stage! video games do have some interesting music in them but I tend not to pay too much attention to the music in my VG's though :(
but I did find this! Super Mario Theme song on 11 String Bass!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf56jYDv2fc[/youtube]

ever be.

JDM1992
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2013, 12:56 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Albb1uTyxZM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Here is a jam from The Raven by Steven Wilson done at 4:30 am on my trusty Spector. I messed it up.....bad. :lol:

Thats what lack of sleep does to the brain. :roll:

ever be.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 4:00 pm

Q: How many bass guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. The piano player can do the changes with her left hand.

:lol:

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2013, 1:31 am

Fnord wrote:
Q: How many bass guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. The piano player can do the changes with her left hand.

:lol:

:wall:

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 7:19 am

Due to the lack of space for a Drum Kit (lapsed player for around 6-7 years), I bought a Bass Guitar (Westone Thunder 1-A) with a Marshall B25 MKII Amp. I'm hoping to get the rather crudely named Big Muff Harmonix pedal to give me some raw fuzz whilst I play 8)

I'm slowly, but surely getting there trying to alternate between finger, and plectrum playing.

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2013, 9:51 am

Alternative wrote:
I'm hoping to get the rather crudely named Big Muff Harmonix pedal to give me some raw fuzz whilst I play 8)

hahaha im rockin a "way huge swollen pickle" fuzz pedal. now imagine telling that to someone that asks what your setup is -_- big muffs are good though, fuzz is pretty much the coolest most necessary effect to have, imo.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 11:19 am

slickbacksteve wrote:
hahaha im rockin a "way huge swollen pickle" fuzz pedal. now imagine telling that to someone that asks what your setup is -_- big muffs are good though, fuzz is pretty much the coolest most necessary effect to have, imo.

:lol: That's an awesome name for a pedal. Just looked it up. Excellent sounding fuzz, but twice the price of the *ahem* "muff".

Of course. I'm inspired by some of the most excellent songs out there that have such dominating fuzzy basslines.

Not sure if below is the best example to demonstrate what I mean though. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8lhTStlec[/youtube]

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2013, 12:09 pm

hmm.... not bad. definitely gonna remember that band from now on. and yeah, totally sucks how expensive this hobby is, especially when money's always tight. when it comes to finding the right sound for me, these are some good examples ive always wanted to have for my bass. Electric wizard is just absolutely legendary if you're into that kinda metal and shrum is actually a band with no guitars, just two bassists <3 hahah

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWHplp10kQM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvi54CAKz1M&list=PLE3F0EDB6D3C37FE7[/youtube]

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 11:47 am

I have a simple four string Ibanez these days, which I think is a groovy little bass. I've got a nano muff that I use if I want things to get a little nasty.

Was very tempted to get this beauty earlier on this year:

The Aerodyne. It plays well, and is an excellent bass.