Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 2:16 am

I always tend to make people laugh. I don't know why. I get told it's because I am so cute or the way I said it or my attitude or because I am just funny. Today I get home from work and my mother shows me the new dining room (they got new furniture for it) and it looked so clean and homey and it made the old one look junky. All the furniture matched and it felt so cozy in there and comfortable and nothing was left out lying around due to no place putting them so they were now all put away now. Mom asked me what I thought and I said "It looks so homey, it makes our old dining room look junky." Then she asked me "You thought it was junky?" and I said "I didn't know until you showed me the new dining room so I think the old one looks junky now" and my mom laughed and I asked her what was so funny and she said "You're cute."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 2:39 am

Sometimes I say things in ways that other people find original, so they laugh.

Humor is what you get when you suddenly see something in a new way, suddenly "get the joke". So naturally people with different minds might find themselves inadvertently being funny, because when other people listen to us they get that effect of seeing something in a very slightly different way, and feeling pleasure at figuring out the difference.

Like, most people don't think of the idea that something you see in the present might affect your view of something you saw in the past. Your statement made your mom realize that, and that made her laugh.

Sometimes I let myself take things literally, because I know it will make people laugh. It's my first impulse to take things literally, but it isn't most people's; so when I do, they get that sudden perspective shift, and sometimes they find it funny. I like seeing people laugh, so sometimes I don't bother to think about figurative meanings.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 2:45 am

My vernacular is largely comprised of scholarly jokes, absurdism, hyperbole and non sequitur. I get lots of laughs, but I rarely agree with people about which ones I earned :roll:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 10:30 am

It depends on whether they are laughing with me or at me. I've found with respect to those who laugh at me, that if I maintain my cool and show them to be the fools they usually are, I can walk away with the last laugh.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 10:35 am

People laugh at the things I say, because it's stuff that they expect me to say due to my unique personality. I join them in the laughter. :)

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 11:32 am

well recently I was with my mum and my friend and my mum suggested we go and have a look at the university café and I said that we would see it as we walk past because there is a massive window where the café is and my mum and friend laughed and I still don't know why. 8O

pleasekillme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2013, 12:07 pm

franknfurter wrote:
well recently I was with my mum and my friend and my mum suggested we go and have a look at the university café and I said that we would see it as we walk past because there is a massive window where the café is and my mum and friend laughed and I still don't know why. 8O

They said, let's have a look at the university cafe, but probably meant let's go eat at the university cafe. You said, we'll see it as we walk past, taking the "look" part of what they said literally.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 12:59 pm

pleasekillme wrote:
franknfurter wrote:

They said, let's have a look at the university cafe, but probably meant let's go eat at the university cafe. You said, we'll see it as we walk past, taking the "look" part of what they said literally.

oh, well that makes sense I don't understand why that's funny though, looking is not eating in my opinion but oh well they thought I was joking so it was not embarrassing of anything just confusing

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 1:30 pm

Yes, sometimes. Sometimes when I phrase something in a way that is interpreted as unconventional for casual parlance. Sometimes when I use an uncommon word. It is one of many things that cause my interactions with people to be bumpy. When they laugh and then see that I am not laughing. :?

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

People frequently laugh at what I say, mostly when I'm not even trying to be funny. I'm just telling it like it is.
I guess reality is humorous when pointed out face value.

Diagnosed in 2005

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 3:07 pm

"Father, what is the significance of laughter?"

"It is a human physiological response to humour."

"Then judging by the childrens' laughter, without even understanding humour, I have mastered it."

"Lal, they were not laughing with you, they were laughing at you."

"Explain."

"One is meant kindly, the other is not."

"Why would they wish to be unkind?"

"Because you are different, and humans fear things that are different. I have learned that they often attempt to hide their fear with humour."

"I do not want to be different."

-- Data and Lal, "Offspring", Star Trek: The Next Generation

Even when they're mostly laughing "with" me, that is, not maliciously at some "cute" blunder I've made, I often feel like Lal. Instead of laughing at me and telling me how adorable I am, I wish people would just explain what I did wrong so I could fix it next time.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

HomeschoolTrekkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Nov 2013, 1:05 am

pete1061 wrote:
People frequently laugh at what I say, mostly when I'm not even trying to be funny. I'm just telling it like it is.
I guess reality is humorous when pointed out face value.

I have the same problem (if it is a problem). When I say something perfectly seriously, people laugh and say how funny I am. When I say something I think is funny they seem to take it seriously and either look at me strangely or get offended. I have learned not to tell my kind of jokes with anyone but family, and even then I sometimes have to clarify what was a joke.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 2:12 am

A lot of times people laugh at what I say, usually because they think that way I said it was "cute". It's always when I am trying to discuss something seriously too.

Once even a therapist laughed at me because when I was trying to discuss something private/embarrassing (can't remember exactly what it was) she said the way I was talking and my body language was "cute and funny". I don't think it's appropriate for a therapist to laugh at her patient. :?

And yet, for some reason, whenever I make a deliberate attempt to be funny, it flies right over other people's heads, even when I try joking around with other aspies.

I should start telling people that "it's not that I'm not funny, it's that nobody gets me".

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 2:39 am

People sometimes laugh at things I do , or things I say.

It's like sometimes in school , these kids all a year above me stop me when they see me , they say '' Dance! '' people gather around , laugh and watch , fun stuff.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 3:42 am

Don´t do it!

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 9:53 am

I think what makes me "charming" to a lot of people is that a lot of the things I say tend to be funny, whether intentionally or not. That and the way I say things, too.