Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 7:36 pm

Does anyone else talk like this? Sometimes I'd use an odd word as a substitute for different words in one sentence.

For instance, instead of saying, "I'm going to the store to buy me some gum and chew it on the way back," I'll say, "I'm plumping to the store to plump me some gum and plump it on the way back."

The Smurfs do that a lot with the word smurf.

Adding further to it, I might also say something like "this lemon meringue pie is plumpy!" (meaning awesome) or "I'm too plumped (tired) to stay up any longer."

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 8:13 pm

i am not sure if i do. i never really pay attention.

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2013, 8:41 pm

Nope

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:21 am

Not lately, but in the AOL chat days I got on a kick of renaming Metallica song titles: "Enter Wang", "The Wang That Failed", "Hero Of The Wang", "Wang Inc.", "Master Of Wang", "Disposable Wang", "The Wang Remains", "Harvester Of Wang", "Wang Of The Beholder", "Creeping Wang" etc. I suppose it was as good a word as Mox-nix

loosewheel
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2013, 1:57 am

I know a common word in the English language that's used in that way, and is well understood. Maybe you just have your own dialect. Mainstream might be common but it is pretty boring. Understand that it's the mistakes that more end up valuable collector items, not the perfect. Even though they're frowned upon in their time. There's nothing wrong with being original or unique.
(For communication, it does help if others understand your language though).

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2013, 3:33 am

I do this all the time, but it is not the same word all the time.

Just by chance lately it has been Smurf... My routers guest SSID is AutisticSmurf, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford I call Cracky Smurf, though to be fair, last week I was hooked on muffins so last week poor Rob was Crack Muffin to me... with a visual of Chris Rock saying "Up at the crack of crack" (far too much crackalack in the media lately) Maybe Rob Ford is just a Smurfy Crackmuffin? I have subbed the word "crack" ever since I was a teenager. It is just one of those words you can put anywhere, at least to me.

Turbo is another favorite, I love forced induction, the power, the efficiency, but now I drive around a big "turrrrr-bo dieeees-el" van, it has a "DirrrtyMax" (I say it in a provocative cartoon girl voice) engine... there is a movie called Turbo (not seen it yet) and my husband has been shopping for a Bissell Turbo Sweeper. Turbo is something I talk about all the time... Turbo Turbo Turbo!

Echolalia... which is very stimmy... catch words, songs, phrases, sounds... If my brain likes it, I will repeat it or find a way to add it into conversation.

I'll even make up funny little songs out of words that are repeating in my head. AND SING THEM OUT LOUD!! ! lol or I'll just take the word and make noise with it, not sure how to explain it. I'll change letters in the word and try to say it, I'll add letters like an "ie" or a "y" or an "est" Instead of saying "Better" or "Best" I'll say "Bestester" or "Bestesterester" or "Betterester"

My Husband gets a kick out of it most of the time. Sometimes I say some really funny things. Sometimes some of the things I say get out of hand or are "not very appropriate" or the timing is off..... meh, I am only human.