Are There Any Pop Culture Things You Are Obsessed about?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gertie1999
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2013, 10:46 am

I have found that for as long as I can remember I have been obsessed with certain TV Show, band, or movie. Even when I was little I was Obsessed with a certain cartoon and my mother said I insisted on being called by the name of my favorite character from that show. Then as I got older I got into live action TV shows and eventually into older TV shows and music. And, of course this results in me going on a binge on the show, band or movie I like.

Right now the show I've been watching most recently is I Dream Of Jeannie.

Have any of you ever been obsessed with any of those types of things?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:48 am

Zelda, metal, ponies, na na na na....

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

pleasekillme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2013, 11:19 am

I tend to get obsessed with TV shows. For instance, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I'll watch several episodes most days, and often will watch the same episode multiple times in a day. I also will watch the same 5-10 seconds of an episode over and over again.

I became quite obsessed with Bjork when I was teenager, too. I bought every album, t-shirt and poster I could find. I read about her, I wrote about her, and holy s**t did I talk about her.

I mean, looking back, most of my obsessions have either been creative or pop-culture. Even the video game/nerdy stuff I was into as a child, like Pokemon, were pretty "pop-culturey". I guess what I'm saying is I've been lucky enough not to be the guy who's obsessed with license plates or some s**t.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:58 pm

I've come to really love the ''Bottom'' series, with Rick Mayall and Adrian Edmundson. But I don't think it's an ''Aspie special interest'' type of obsession. It's just a casual obsession.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2013, 2:11 pm

Yes, most definitely. In fact most of my obsessions are pop-cultural in nature but just not as popular as most pop-cultural obsessions such as Rhianna and the hair style she is going to be fashioning this week. It irritates me in fact when people say they are against the commercialized fetishization of pop-culture and its capitalism and then they will listen to a band like Nirvana, which although appealed to people that felt like they were exiled from society and outsiders, still had a mass audience and sold millions of record. Their songs were also very poppy. Sorry, not to get sidetracked but we are all slaves to pop-culture in some way or another, it is just that some of it is labelled as being high and some is labelled as being low. I have been obsessed with Radiohead since I was thirteen and will never tire of them. :)

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 2:20 pm

I have always been very pop-culture-oriented to a degree that would probably make most posters here turn queasy. :)

It is not limited to nerdy/geeky stuff like Trek, X-Men, Transformers, certain anime, Buffy, video games etc., but it also encompasses a love for contemporary pop music and the celebrities associated with this. I will still groove to old tracks by boybands and girl groups, even if I've come to acknowledge the inanity of most of their musical output. I check out the charts periodically, and keep up with current pop music (again). Currently, there is no single artist that interests me that much, but I like listening to that Ariana Grande kid, Bruno Mars, Justin Timberlake, etc.

Some of my pop cultural special interests in the past have included: Transformers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Marvel comics, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Incidentally, in the past week I've been listening a lot to early 90s soul music (think Keith Sweat, Babyface, Tony Toni Toné, En Vogue). I used to think a lot of artists from that era of soul/urban music were corny as all hell, but I'm really warming up to it now.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 3:13 pm

Toys, especially dolls and stuffed animals that are 80's icons like My Little Ponies and Smurfs. And Troll dolls, Monster High, and the Rebel dolls from Ever After High. Seems I have a real thing for both real and mythological creatures that get a bad rap because they're supposedly "evil". :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 12:36 am

I'm to date myself here, but these are the pop culture things that I'm obsessed with:

The Kinks
The Beatles
The Who
The Monkees both the band and the TV show
Austin Powers movies

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 1:15 am

Virtually all of my obsessions have revolved around some aspect of pop culture.

Toddler age - Beetlejuice (the cartoon version)

Age 5 - 11 - Balto (animated movie)

Age 7 - 11 - Pokemon (both the games and the anime)

Age 11 - 19 - Various anime and manga

Age 19 - 21 - My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and the various Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaborations

Age 22 - current - Various video game characters (which is weird/interesting seems how I suck at video games and dislike playing them) and my original characters

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 1:47 am

My Little Pony, Total Drama, Pokemon... A whole load of different things from pop culture!

The above three are overrated, but some of mine are also pretty obscure...

And like the OP, I also tend to obsess over fictional characters!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 2:42 am

Joe90 wrote:
I've come to really love the ''Bottom'' series, with Rick Mayall and Adrian Edmundson. But I don't think it's an ''Aspie special interest'' type of obsession. It's just a casual obsession.

who wouldn't love that!! !

TheCrookedFingers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2013, 6:57 am

Right now I am obsessed with Radiohead, Community and Loki (as a movie character).
These are "casual" obsessions because they don't last very much, but they still give me the weird tingly "love" feeling :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Nov 2013, 7:43 am

My three biggest obsessions are Pokémon, Doctor Who, and The Beatles.

gertie1999

28 Nov 2013, 8:23 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm to date myself here, but these are the pop culture things that I'm obsessed with:

The Kinks
The Beatles
The Who
The Monkees both the band and the TV show
Austin Powers movies

I love those bands! :)

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2013, 8:32 am

TheCrookedFingers wrote:
Right now I am obsessed with Radiohead, Community and Loki (as a movie character).
These are "casual" obsessions because they don't last very much, but they still give me the weird tingly "love" feeling :lol:

Glad to know someone else is addicted to Radiohead, I have been obsessed with the band for about 6 years now and have not tired of them at all. Absolutely wonderful band. I often wonder why more people with aspergers are not into them, they seem very aspie to me and Thom Yorke appears very socially awkward in interviews.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2013, 8:49 am

I have followed Eels from the outset, with 'E's solo stuff included. I love his fearless honesty and willingness to use his own life as a source of inspiration, especially as it hasn't exactly always been very nice for him. Really interesting guy.

I love old sci-fi especially older 60's and 70's stuff. UK Sci-fi like 'Blakes Seven' is brilliant, especially the really awful sets and costumes.

Scandinavian crime novels - Nordic Noir - likes of Jo Nesbo, Camilla Lackberg, Hakan Nesser, Yrsa Sigurdardottir and the daddy of them all, Arnaldur Indridasen. cannot get enough. Currently totally lost in the original Icelandic sagas, but not sure they count as 'Pop Culture'