Is this normal for a person with aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

M3gan86
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2013, 10:54 am

I am 27 years old and I like to joke around with people they take it well but when they joke with me or mess around with me I take it as a bad way. I will get mad or get offended and start crying. Also who can I talk to get help with these feelings I have. Sometimes I cry myself to sleep. :cry:

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

I operate under a simple rule

If you can't take it, don't deal it.

It is true that some aspies have trouble telling the difference between joking and serious though.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:54 pm

There is a phrase. People who dish it out can't dish it in.

You like to joke around and mess around with them but yet you can't take it when others do it to you. You should stop dishing it out and that is joking with people and messing around with them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 2:59 pm

It's not true for me. I love teasing people and being teased back. To me that's an important part of having good relations with someone.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 12:35 am

Sorry you're experiencing this :( I'm thinking your sense of humor and the ones that others use towards you may be different, and you may not recognize their sense of humor.

It seems like they are using banter, which I very rarely see people with AS use, let alone respond to it or understand it - it's very difficult for them to get, so you're not alone here. This is when people say stuff that may sounds insulting, at first, but it's said often in a friendly or joking tone...it means that they are comfortable being around you. If you are in a lot of casual social situations, this might happen a lot. Some rules you could use for yourself would be:

1) If I consider this person a friend, they are not seriously making fun of me or trying to hurt me even if it seems like they are. They are trying to have fun, so just laugh it off.

2) If the person is hanging out with you socially and you know them well, again, they are joking around.

3) If the person is smiling and using a happy tone of voice, they are joking around.

You can always come on here and vent on Wrong Planet. We are always here if you need nonjudgemental support :)