Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Gayspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2013, 12:39 am

hi,
if you are 13 to 16 and are lesbian, gay or bisexual what was it like to come out of the closet to your family about your sexual orientation, this is a thread for gay teens to chill and meet each other!! !
I came out last Xmas, after having guy feelings for 15 months :)

I am mostly gay (I like guys way more than girls), I am 15, in south Oz with Asperger's!! !

cheers :)

Last edited by magz on 22 Dec 2021, 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.: Personal data removed

Marylandman889
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2013, 1:19 am

I couldn't bear to see this thread die and slowly recede into the old threads... :(
Anyways, I'm gay/bicurious (prefer guys over girls for the most part).
Coming out at age 13 wasn't fun because my mother found out when the principal of a private school called her. They found a note that was supposed to go to a boy who was ignoring me when he found out I liked him. I got punished.
Last February, My Mother found my Diary and read my feelings for a co-worker and she wanted me to go to ex-gay therapy. She still denies the fact that I'm gay because I said a girl was simply pretty. Total and full-fledged denial.
My sister is not stupid to deny me being homosexual. So that's good.
I'm 15 (16 in a little over 2 weeks) with Asperger's and Social Anxiety. Maryland, United States.
Hope some other people contribute to this almost dead thread. :)

aaronzx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2013, 7:31 pm

Hey Heath, glad to hear you're out and open about it. How did your family find it when you came out?

Marylandman889 wrote:
I couldn't bear to see this thread die and slowly recede into the old threads... :(
Coming out at age 13 wasn't fun because my mother found out when the principal of a private school called her. They found a note that was supposed to go to a boy who was ignoring me when he found out I liked him. I got punished.
Last February, My Mother found my Diary and read my feelings for a co-worker and she wanted me to go to ex-gay therapy. She still denies the fact that I'm gay because I said a girl was simply pretty. Total and full-fledged denial.
I'm 15 (16 in a little over 2 weeks) with Asperger's and Social Anxiety. Maryland, United States.

Wow I am really sorry to read about this. She still feels this way even after a couple of years? I also find it so strange that the principle of the school would interfere with your private life like that. It sounds as if the principle thought that homosexuality was a cause for concern?

SydneySputnik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2013, 2:33 am

My advice is BE PATIENT while you await your parents' understanding and acceptance.

I'm much older now (35yrs) but I still remember coming out at 18-19 years old, when at university.

It's a big step for people to integrate this new fact (being gay) into the relationship you already have - especially your parents, who have always had certain hopes and dreams for your happiness. No matter how cool your parents are, they have some emotional investment in your life that is based on certain expectations such as marriage and kids and a good career, and certain ideas about their role, like "I've been a good mother and provided the best for my child".

Now, you have been thinking about your sexuality almost all day, every day, for YEARS. I know I sure was! Probably I was aware of my feelings for guys at age 11-12, and realised I was gay aged 15-16, but was in some ways hoping I was actually straight.

Compare that to your parents, who aren't inside your head, and maybe had no inkling of you being gay or lesbian. Then they are just given one new fact, "I'm gay/lesbian", and they can't believe it, they don't hear anything else of your explanation, they straight away imagine all the bad things they know about homosexual lifestyles and think that they have failed and you will be unhappy. Not only have they got little idea of what a "gay lifestyle" is and how it's pretty normal and boring like everyone else's, but it's a normal thing for a human to think that they way they have lived is the best! Therefore anything different is probably not as good (e.g. children of immigrants not growing up in the home country).

I reckon it might take them 2-5 years to TRULY get through this grief, confusion etc to realise that you haven't changed, and that being "out" and having healthy gay relationships (friends or romance) is going to make you happy. It took my parents 4-5 years before they seemed to be okay with it. STILL -… they do wish I was straight, just a slight amount.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 11:17 pm

TheVictor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm

Marylandman889 wrote:
A private school? Hmmm... Anywho, I'm am quite sorry about your mother's reaction... if only there were something I could do to help... :(

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:28 am

I tried to come out when I was fourteen, but everyone thought it was a phase. I'm seventeen now and I'm still attracted to the same sex.

LouHusky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2014, 3:08 pm

I've been aware of my feelings for other boys for several years, I think I was 6 when I first recognised it. I haven't really 'came out' as such yet, my dad's always suspected so I confirmed it, I've vaguely explained it to my little brother, and shared my feelings (and a kiss) with a friend who felt the same before we moved away.

Lou

Boteva
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2014, 7:11 am

My parents are both allies. I told them that I was bi at 11 years old. They said I was too young to know. :roll: I later realized I was Agender (form of transgender). Later, I told my entire school at twelve. I am now thirteen. :D :!: