Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2014, 12:15 am

I haven't replied to this thread in a while (my holiday season was a bit hectic) but I really appreciate all of the responses I've gotten. They've all given me something to think about and consider, particularly with the issue of adapting my behavior/emotions to the workplace and what sort of work I could or should be doing.

JoeInMaine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2014, 1:12 pm

Growing up in Maine in the 80s and early 90s when we still were known for our work ethic I was considered a jack of all trades. Folks would mention something that needed doing and I did it. I mistakenly would develop loyalty to folks who appreciated what I did and then be taken advantage of. After a while of being taken advantage of I got resentful and left, usually in a big way. I managed to stay in retail for 2 years because they kept changing my department and that was when I started to realize I got bored with the same job over and over again and that I liked having different interests. My customer service skills were awesome cause folks didn't want friendship they wanted answers to problems. Working at a home improvement store most people fell into 2 categories, I know what I need and just want to find the product/service or I have a broken something and need to know how to fix it, please help me.
Now I do in home support for folks with mental illness and the clients change enough so that I don't get bored. I've been with the same company for almost 7 years now. Some of what I've learned is the job is less important than the rituals involved. I need time to mentally prepare myself to be at work so a half hour commute is helpful. I need time to unwind after work to just leave the job at the job. I need to stay away from office politics at all times and only deal with office politicians one on one. When you are with 2 office politicians and you're the only one that can't lie without being in pain it's not good. I need a consistent schedule so I know when the (poorly made) mask goes on and when it comes off. I need an escape plan, cigarette break or bathroom break or I forgot something in my car, whatever I need to do to spend 5-10 minutes alone to get my head together.
I'm not sure if any of that helps you, I never had or will have a degree and know very little about the types of jobs folks with those expensive pieces of paper do but I do know I wish I had that type of income so I see the draw. Good luck and I hope you find something you enjoy.

JoeInMaine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2014, 1:28 pm

Growing up in Maine in the 80s and early 90s when we still were known for our work ethic I was considered a jack of all trades. Folks would mention something that needed doing and I did it. I mistakenly would develop loyalty to folks who appreciated what I did and then be taken advantage of. After a while of being taken advantage of I got resentful and left, usually in a big way. I managed to stay in retail for 2 years because they kept changing my department and that was when I started to realize I got bored with the same job over and over again and that I liked having different interests. My customer service skills were awesome cause folks didn't want friendship they wanted answers to problems. Working at a home improvement store most people fell into 2 categories, I know what I need and just want to find the product/service or I have a broken something and need to know how to fix it, please help me.
Now I do in home support for folks with mental illness and the clients change enough so that I don't get bored. I've been with the same company for almost 7 years now. Some of what I've learned is the job is less important than the rituals involved. I need time to mentally prepare myself to be at work so a half hour commute is helpful. I need time to unwind after work to just leave the job at the job. I need to stay away from office politics at all times and only deal with office politicians one on one. When you are with 2 office politicians and you're the only one that can't lie without being in pain it's not good. I need a consistent schedule so I know when the (poorly made) mask goes on and when it comes off. I need an escape plan, cigarette break or bathroom break or I forgot something in my car, whatever I need to do to spend 5-10 minutes alone to get my head together.
I'm not sure if any of that helps you, I never had or will have a degree and know very little about the types of jobs folks with those expensive pieces of paper do but I do know I wish I had that type of income so I see the draw. Good luck and I hope you find something you enjoy.

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2014, 4:42 am

I can definitely relate to the need for a steady routine in order to know what sort of behaviour is needed on my part and feeling like I need to put on a mask. I definitely felt like that when I was in the K-12 schooling system and had so many different obligations and demands forced or placed on me both at home and at school and had little time or opportunity to be myself.

I don't find that I experience this as strongly at university as I did in K-12 schooling but I still feel like I don't fit in much of the time. I'm fairly quiet and don't care for many of the stereotypical interests and activities of my age group which makes it hard to carry on conversations at times. I don't drink alcohol or go to nightclubs or parties which is a huge division at my age.

Once again, I really appreciate all of the responses I've gotten. It's nice to get advice that's personalized to my situation.