Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 1:38 pm

I most recently called my grandmother the night before Thanksgiving and although I had an okay conversation with her on the phone, I felt like the whole conversation was one sided. I also felt like I was basically pulling teeth just to talk to her. It also seemed that she was more interested in my aunt and uncle's children due to their parents having lots of money and their daughters being super smart. I even called to see if she had gotten a card that I sent her with a little letter and it was "Yeah I got it." There was no,"I am so happy for you." I also felt like the conversation was really negative about not getting too close to any of the other residents in the assisted living place because they will die and it will leave her grieving all over again. Then again, she never has been that interested in my sisters and I while we were growing up and I still feel like that now.

So I would like to send her a letter without sounding ugly by basically asking her if she is really interested in her grandchildren and if everything is just in my head or what.

If not, what should I say?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

Your Grandparents come from an era where "personal issues" especially "mental issues" were something expected to remain behind closed doors and never to be discussed. If it were to become public it would bring shame to the family.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 3:42 pm

So you do not think it would be best if I left her know how I feel? I don't want to make her feel bad but I do want to know whether is interested in me or not.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 7:54 pm

I don't know them as well as you do so it is hard to say. Just because they come from that generation does not necessarily mean they feel that way. Also the elderly have various maladies, maybe they were not feeling well that day.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 9:15 am

Knowing my grandmother, she really has never been super interested in my sisters and I. She seemed to be more interested in my step-grandfather's children and my uncle's children who she only met once(Those cousins have parents with money).

Anyway, I talked to a friend about the situation and she suggested that I send her a letter by saying, "When I called, have I done anything to offend you? Either way, I get the impression that you are not interested in me as a person," or something else down the line.